Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rear Deck Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 09:15 PM

Rear Deck Rattle

Hey Guys, any good suggestions to stop the rattle? I've added a sub box, and it's vibrating like crazy! Should I try and remove the rear deck and add some padding? Is the rear deck difficult to remove?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Originally posted by darryl12
Hey Guys, any good suggestions to stop the rattle? I've added a sub box, and it's vibrating like crazy! Should I try and remove the rear deck and add some padding? Is the rear deck difficult to remove?

Thanks in advance
Dynaliner works great!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Originally posted by Redmax

Dynaliner works great!
Dynaliner?? What exactly is that Red?? Yet another alternative to the infamous Dynamat? Where do ya get and how much is it?? Thanks for any info,,,always looking for new and cheaper ways to do things...

DMAN
Old 10-15-2002, 10:44 AM

I'm getting my subs soon I just wanted to know what are the most common places known to rattle
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Originally posted by DMAN11

Dynaliner?? What exactly is that Red?? Yet another alternative to the infamous Dynamat? Where do ya get and how much is it?? Thanks for any info,,,always looking for new and cheaper ways to do things...

DMAN
Dynaliner is a thick foam dynamat which is supposed to be for use under the hood but its still just thin enough to put in the rear deck and believe me with it there is no rattle! even with Dynamat extreme or regular you have to use several layers which can be costly! With this stuff one is all you need! Pearl96max and I did his car a couple of moths ago and Whoa.what a difference!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:24 PM

the rear deck rattles, my rear view mirror rattles... u fix one rattle another one shows up... thats what you pay for bass
Old 10-18-2002, 01:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Dynaliner is a thick foam dynamat which is supposed to be for use under the hood but its still just thin enough to put in the rear deck and believe me with it there is no rattle!

OOOOKKK, is that that thick, insulation looking stuff? I have some of that in my trunk if that is what it is. I got it at like Pep Boys or AutoZone I think. Thanks Red,,,maybe I'll get some more for my back dash if I am correct with my thinking.

Thanks Again,,,,,DMAN
Old 10-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Diznatin Mizaxima.org Mizember

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

I found that the rattle was coming from the gap b/w the rear deck & rear window. Shoved a few pieces of 1-1/2" thick a/c insulation (homedepot) stopped the rattle. Worht a try & only cost me $5.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Dynaliner works great!

Exactly what I used it totally solved the problem. There is a similiar material that some auto stores carry. Here in Cali there is a shop called Tognottis that carries a foil backed insulation for autos. It is made for sound and heat, it also works great!!! If you use this type of material you will also need to get heavy duty carpet tape (double sided), to stick it in place. It is a cheap alternative to the dynaliner and works just as well IMO...
Old 10-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Originally posted by Gray02Max

Exactly what I used it totally solved the problem. There is a similiar material that some auto stores carry. Here in Cali there is a shop called Tognottis that carries a foil backed insulation for autos. It is made for sound and heat, it also works great!!! If you use this type of material you will also need to get heavy duty carpet tape (double sided), to stick it in place. It is a cheap alternative to the dynaliner and works just as well IMO...
Or you van use spray adhesive
Old 10-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Deck Rattle

Or you van use spray adhesive
Actually, spray adhesive won't work. It isn't high build enough. If you want to silence that board with a spray, you are better off using an expanding foam. The only problem is, it's pretty much permanent. If you want to remove it again, be prepared to make a mess.

I dynamatted the underside inside the trunk, the top side, and the cardboard cover, removed the stock fibre stuff and used a cut out sheet of polyfill to go between the sheets of dynamat.

I have absolutely no vibrations, well, I do have two. My rear seatbelts vibrate against the leather seats, and every now and then, I can hear vibration noises in my dash, right in front of me.