Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

4 gauge amp kit ok?......

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 09:22 PM

4 gauge amp kit ok?......

I just bought a kicker kx800.4 amp and on the kicker website it recommends that I have a 2 gauge wire to feed the amp. Would it be alright if I get 4 instead? I've looked just about everywhere I could think of (internet and local area) and I cannot find any 2 gauge amp kits.

Can anyone help in this matter thank a bunch
Old 10-16-2002, 07:55 AM

Re: 4 gauge amp kit ok?......

Originally posted by Vumax_1
I just bought a kicker kx800.4 amp and on the kicker website it recommends that I have a 2 gauge wire to feed the amp. Would it be alright if I get 4 instead? I've looked just about everywhere I could think of (internet and local area) and I cannot find any 2 gauge amp kits.

Can anyone help in this matter thank a bunch
4 gauge power wire is fine. Kicker only recommends the 2 gauge wire or lower so that you get the full peak power that its voltage input requires. The higher the voltage coming into the amp, the higher your peaks. If your running another powerful amp, such as the Kicker, I would upgrade to a 2 gauge or better. The bigger amps drown a lot of juice from the battery, especially if your running them for sub use. Right now, I'm running only a 8 gauge off my Alpine and Kicker kx120.2. My system sounds real clean, too. So, yes, you can run a four gauge without any problems.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Re: 4 gauge amp kit ok?......

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
4 gauge power wire is fine. Kicker only recommends the 2 gauge wire or lower so that you get the full peak power that its voltage input requires. The higher the voltage coming into the amp, the higher your peaks. If your running another powerful amp, such as the Kicker, I would upgrade to a 2 gauge or better. The bigger amps drown a lot of juice from the battery, especially if your running them for sub use. Right now, I'm running only a 8 gauge off my Alpine and Kicker kx120.2. My system sounds real clean, too. So, yes, you can run a four gauge without any problems.

Thanks MIXXMAX, That's all I wanted to know. One more thing, they recommend that I use a 120a fuse (kx800.4). Do you think I can get by with maybe an 80a fuse?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: 4 gauge amp kit ok?......

Originally posted by Vumax_1

Thanks MIXXMAX, That's all I wanted to know. One more thing, they recommend that I use a 120a fuse (kx800.4). Do you think I can get by with maybe an 80a fuse?
It all depends on how many amps you're running off the same line. How many amps are you running? The higher wattage amps will require a higher amperage fuse at the battery. Each gauge of power wire requires a certain maximum amount of amperage to get the full current that it can carry safely. If the Kicker kx800 is the only amp you're running, then 80a should be fine. How are you running the amp? Mono (800x1)? Or 2 channel stereo or 2 channel mono? If you're running it mono, I would recommend running a 2 guage power wire 100-120a fuse. This way, you're amp will pound the way it should. Do you also have a more powerful battery? If not, I would recommend upgrading, also.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 gauge amp kit ok?......

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
It all depends on how many amps you're running off the same line. How many amps are you running? The higher wattage amps will require a higher amperage fuse at the battery. Each gauge of power wire requires a certain maximum amount of amperage to get the full current that it can carry safely. If the Kicker kx800 is the only amp you're running, then 80a should be fine. How are you running the amp? Mono (800x1)? Or 2 channel stereo or 2 channel mono? If you're running it mono, I would recommend running a 2 guage power wire 100-120a fuse. This way, you're amp will pound the way it should. Do you also have a more powerful battery? If not, I would recommend upgrading, also.

I'm just running one amp (kicker kx800.4), and I'm running it in 4 channel at 4 ohms. It has 1000 watts (100watts x 4 @ 4 ohms) that i'm going to feed my 6.5 component speakers up front and the 6x9s in the back.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:00 PM
PoweredbyNissan

Since we are talking about power wire....... what is a good size power wire to use for a Kenwood-KAC829, max power 600 watt? What would happen if my power wire is not thick enough?

Old 10-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan
Since we are talking about power wire....... what is a good size power wire to use for a Kenwood-KAC829, max power 600 watt? What would happen if my power wire is not thick enough?
Do you mean kac729s? If I remember correctly, I think it only accepts 8 guage.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:15 PM
PoweredbyNissan

Originally posted by Supa Lao

Do you mean kac729s? If I remember correctly, I think it only accepts 8 guage.
Only accepts 8 gauge?? are you sure? we are talking about 12V power wire that ocnnects to the battery. I currently have 10gauge. Why only 8 gauge? it's a power wire, it accepts whatever is connected doesn't it?

Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 PM

Yup I'm pretty sure it's 8 guage. Your 10 guage is too small for it. The connections at the amp where you have to use ring terminals, won't really let you use 4 guage. They are a little to wide. 8 guage is perferct for that amp. If you use 4 guage connectors, you have to grind down the ring terminals to make them fit
Old 10-16-2002, 07:58 PM
PoweredbyNissan

Yup I'm pretty sure it's 8 guage. Your 10 guage is too small for it. The connections at the amp where you have to use ring terminals, won't really let you use 4 guage. They are a little to wide. 8 guage is perferct for that amp. If you use 4 guage connectors, you have to grind down the ring terminals to make them fit
the model number is KAC-829 i just checked. the amp only got 600 wat max power, rms is probably 300 or so. 10 gauge is too small? I dont know what you are talking about with the ring terminals. btw, how did 4 gauge get in here........confused

Old 10-16-2002, 08:28 PM

ring terminals are what you use to connect the wires to the amp. They are what get screwed down. For 600w, I'd still use 8 guage wiring for it. Sorry about the 4 guage...got part of the original threade in my head and some beer in my stomach
Old 10-16-2002, 08:35 PM
PoweredbyNissan

ring terminals are what you use to connect the wires to the amp. They are what get screwed down. For 600w, I'd still use 8 guage wiring for it. Sorry about the 4 guage...got part of the original threade in my head and some beer in my stomach
So what can happen if I use a thiner power wire than I am suppose to? Bad sound quality?

Old 10-16-2002, 11:33 PM

You can power all your amps from a 4 guage power wire running from the battery. Run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to a "distribution" block. This block is like a "y" connector distributing into 4 or more connections from one single line. Here, a 4 gauge wire is input into one end, and on the other end are four or more outputs that accepts 8 gauge wiring. This is where the 8 gauge comes into hooking up to your amps. Don't use anything less than this or you will run into problems of draining too much power from your battery because of the high power amps. Remember, thicker wire carries more current and is less strain on the power consumption.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:30 AM
PoweredbyNissan

So, it wont affect the sound quality with skinnier power wire than normal? just draws a little more current from the battery?

Old 10-17-2002, 09:11 PM

USE 4 Gauge, and Cap the Sub Amp (If running a dual amp system)