Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

amp not coming on...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

amp not coming on...HELP!

i have a rockford fosgate amp that i am using to run all my speakers. i have installed amps and this amp before...but its just not coming on.

i have the power wire (8ga) on the positive terminal, the remote wire into the back of the deck, and into the terminal on the amp. the power wire and ground wire are in the right places on the amp. one thing is that when the deck is on it plays music out of the rear speakers...they arent hooked up to the amp yet. but nothing out of the front (they are plugged into the amp) obviously due to the lack of the amp being on.

i have the ground wire grounded to a bolt that is under the lower rear seat....not a seatbelt bolt, but another smaller bolt that is near the seatbelt bolt.

when the deck is on and music is coming out of the rear speakers...and when i remove the remote wire from the amp, and put it back on...the volume decreases signicantly. then when i take it off again...the volume comes back.

this one is really baffling me. i dont know if it has something to due with the power cable, ground wire, or the remote wire. any insight would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the length but i wanted to give the details. thanks.

--Paul
Old 10-17-2002, 09:06 PM

Bolt the ground to the back uppper portion of the seat. The extact part is on the lower corner, it has sort of like a metal loop. This is one of the best places to ground out a wire because the loop presses down on the wire to ground it to the chassis.

Mike
Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 PM
PoweredbyNissan

Re: amp not coming on...HELP!

Originally posted by Requin6
i have a rockford fosgate amp that i am using to run all my speakers. i have installed amps and this amp before...but its just not coming on.

i have the power wire (8ga) on the positive terminal, the remote wire into the back of the deck, and into the terminal on the amp. the power wire and ground wire are in the right places on the amp. one thing is that when the deck is on it plays music out of the rear speakers...they arent hooked up to the amp yet. but nothing out of the front (they are plugged into the amp) obviously due to the lack of the amp being on.

i have the ground wire grounded to a bolt that is under the lower rear seat....not a seatbelt bolt, but another smaller bolt that is near the seatbelt bolt.

when the deck is on and music is coming out of the rear speakers...and when i remove the remote wire from the amp, and put it back on...the volume decreases signicantly. then when i take it off again...the volume comes back.

this one is really baffling me. i dont know if it has something to due with the power cable, ground wire, or the remote wire. any insight would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the length but i wanted to give the details. thanks.

--Paul
I'd love to help you out, but I can't understand your problem. Do you ahve some kind of light on teh amp that indicates power on/off? If the light if on (if you have one), then it's your connections from the amp to your speakers that's causing the problem. If the light is not on, either the amp is broken or the wires are not hooked up right. You either dont have the power wire connected right, which is not likely; I mean just hooks up from teh battery to the amp, easy. or you dont have the remote wire connected right. Check your remote wire. Get a test pen and put it next to the remote wire to see if the pen lights up. if it lights up, then the remote wire is fine. The least likely problem is with your ground wire, it's the easiest wire to hook up. Heck, I think the amp will work even if you dont have the ground hooked up right. That should be able to diagnos your problem, but what's the stuff you said about your speakers and their volume.......? that was confusing as anything

Old 10-17-2002, 11:27 PM

Go to Radio Shack and buy a cheap VOM or DMM. You need to figure out where your problem lies; measure the voltage between the power and ground wires if it is 12V that is not your problem. Next measure the voltage at the remote turn on lead, that too should be 12V when your head unit is switched on. If that checks out and your amp still is not switching on, it's DOA. Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
Go to Radio Shack and buy a cheap VOM or DMM. You need to figure out where your problem lies; measure the voltage between the power and ground wires if it is 12V that is not your problem. Next measure the voltage at the remote turn on lead, that too should be 12V when your head unit is switched on. If that checks out and your amp still is not switching on, it's DOA. Hope that helps.
Yeah that's what I was going to say, check you fuses and get a meter to check your outputs and then inputs....
Old 10-18-2002, 02:28 PM

re:

make sure you have a common ground. just about everything in your vehicle that is electronic is grounded. if your amp is not seeing the same ground as these components then you will have what is called a ground loop. one of the most common overlooked mistakes in car audio just because you get a spark doesnt mean it is a suffecent ground. also neeed more info. wattage of amp, any other components need more detailes for a good diagnoses