Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 01:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

Hi guys

I really need some help on this... if you've read some previous posts of mine, i am building a "carputer" so that i can play mp3s, dvd, GPS, and blah blah... whatever you could do w/ a computer. So the tricky part is: How do I connect my soundcard to the STOCK Bose HU/amps?

I was planning on gettin in touch w/ InfinitiStyle about this matter but i was wondering if anyone else have had experience or any ideas. I don't think this project would be something like installing an AMP... because that's what all my searches ended up at.

Basically, i just need to somehow tap an input somewhere so that i can use the stock bose system to play whatever my soundcard is feeding to it. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

I thought about making a car pc as well. What screen will u be using? Also, what baout the keyboard/mouse thing? I dont know how u can tap into the bose, but you could use an fm modulator, its not the best way but would work.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

Originally posted by skeelo34
I thought about making a car pc as well. What screen will u be using? Also, what baout the keyboard/mouse thing? I dont know how u can tap into the bose, but you could use an fm modulator, its not the best way but would work.
I was lucky enough to find a website that sold a 5" PS1 screen for 50 bucks... and i think i'll be using a IR remote for everything else. I may have a wireless keyboard... but it's not critically needed right now.

I don't know anything about FM modulator... can u fill me in on that?
Old 10-21-2002, 04:28 PM

I'm building a car pc also. I thought about keeping the whole bose system, but I'm getting a whole new system instead. Right now i'm using that tape adapter for portable cd players. Have to save up money for a new HU with rca plug in. As for the screen, i'm about to buy the 7" inch that is going on the Group Deal now for $240.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

Originally posted by nadir_s

I was lucky enough to find a website that sold a 5" PS1 screen for 50 bucks... and i think i'll be using a IR remote for everything else. I may have a wireless keyboard... but it's not critically needed right now.

I don't know anything about FM modulator... can u fill me in on that?
ha, I know exactly what screen you're talkin about lol. Also, what kinda power supply will you be running? a dc/ac converter to a regular power supply? or something else? I wonder if there is a way to skip that darn power supply and use the cars power supply. an fm modulator basically trasmits a signal into fm, so you just set your radio to like 87.1 or soemthing and its there. Ofcourse you lose some quality, but its very convenient. I'm thinking about that screen in that group deal, but I don't think the resolution will be good enough. I don't know how well that will work, unless you run that pc at a very low res.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: how can i tap computer soundcard to BOSE?

Originally posted by skeelo34

ha, I know exactly what screen you're talkin about lol. Also, what kinda power supply will you be running? a dc/ac converter to a regular power supply? or something else? I wonder if there is a way to skip that darn power supply and use the cars power supply. an fm modulator basically trasmits a signal into fm, so you just set your radio to like 87.1 or soemthing and its there. Ofcourse you lose some quality, but its very convenient. I'm thinking about that screen in that group deal, but I don't think the resolution will be good enough. I don't know how well that will work, unless you run that pc at a very low res.
what's so funny? i'm poor lol, i couldn't afford anything else. I got a computer from work for free... and the mobo has built in sound and video. The great part about it is it has a RCA/S-video TV-OUT. For the power supply, I'm going to get a DC-AC 300watt inverter... about 30 bucks from costco.

I don't know how the screen quality is going to be... if it's too ****ty, i can sell it locally here for more than i bought it so it works out. It comes w/ a built in car adapter so i don't have to worry about the usual 7V lcd screens that are out there now.

I am using windows 98 and through the registry, i can set the resolution to whatever i please.... i tried 320X240... all i can say is i hope i don't have to go THAT low.

Thanks for the FM modulator idea. That will be on my list... but i'd rather somehow connect it directly because then i'd have to worry about getting a quality FM modulator. I want to splice and dice the wires to the headunit somehow to get this working. Hmm... I don't have a CD Changer... do you think it's possible to connect it to that button?
Old 10-21-2002, 07:16 PM

As for the mouse and keyboard I'm getting a Wireless 6 foot keyboard and optical mouse so i can just slide around on top of my cup holder. Easy way out, and if the computer is in the trunk just put the wireless reciver where the fold out arm rest is in the back seats. I'm planning on installing my computer under my passenger side seat and the hard drive, floppy, and cd-r/rw in my arm rest compartment. Thinking about putting a printer in my trunk, just for those days I always forget to do my homework.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:39 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by HTownMaxSE
As for the mouse and keyboard I'm getting a Wireless 6 foot keyboard and optical mouse so i can just slide around on top of my cup holder. Easy way out, and if the computer is in the trunk just put the wireless reciver where the fold out arm rest is in the back seats. I'm planning on installing my computer under my passenger side seat and the hard drive, floppy, and cd-r/rw in my arm rest compartment. Thinking about putting a printer in my trunk, just for those days I always forget to do my homework.
LOL that's hardcore!

I'm still thinkin of ideas for the car... so far i've got it to play mp3s... dvds (when i can afford the drive)... GPS (when i can afford it... $80)... and hmmmmm whatever else i can think of. I guess it can also be a docking port for my PDA too. It'd be cool to have a workable outlook on my computer because most of my time thinking about that kinda stuff is in the car on my long drive to school and work. I can't wait to get this thing working... only sucky part about it is that the computer is ****ty... 233mhZ. I'm thinkin of overclocking it tho lol
Old 10-21-2002, 09:14 PM

I'm putting my 1.4gig htz in my car with a radeon video car so i can play games. But thats not it, after i get my headrest screens and laptop i'm putting my house comp which is 1.8gig htz in my car also and set up a small network in the car so I can play 1v1 counter-strike. Then i can use my laptop as my 3rd comp in the car for the network. I know i'm crazy but someone has to be the first.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:28 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by HTownMaxSE
I'm putting my 1.4gig htz in my car with a radeon video car so i can play games. But thats not it, after i get my headrest screens and laptop i'm putting my house comp which is 1.8gig htz in my car also and set up a small network in the car so I can play 1v1 counter-strike. Then i can use my laptop as my 3rd comp in the car for the network. I know i'm crazy but someone has to be the first.
UM lol, you're nuts!

Make sure you have a optima yellow top. blah! my LCD doesn't come in till tomorrow... hopefully. Anywho, anyone else have any ideas about my sound issue?????????