Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help on steering wheel controls....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 08:28 PM

Help on steering wheel controls....

I have a 2003 Max SE... I took out the Bose radio and put in an Alpine head unit... I knew that I was going to lose the volume controls but I didn't know that the MPG/Trip ect. ect. wouldn't work either.. Did anyone else run into this problem when pulling out the factory head unit???? I don't care about the volume button and track button.. I just want the mode and trip button to work again..
Old 10-24-2002, 04:26 PM

PAC SWI-X

just did the same thing last weekend. i also replaced my bose with a new alpine deck. i, however, can't live without the steering wheel controls so i put in a PAC SWI-X that i got from Crutchfield for like $70. it was easy to put in--the instructions are a bit intimidating, but if you read them carefully you should have no problem.

anyway, in order to keep the non-radio controls on the steering wheel, you have to ground the brown wire that comes from the steering wheel. it was with 5 or 6 other wires in a separate harness that plugged into the bose deck. that way, these controls used the bose's ground but since that harness is disconnected now (and probably just hanging behind your new deck) the controls are not being grounded and thus don't work.

my 2 cents: go buy yourself the PAC SWI-X and get ALL of your controls back.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:02 AM

Re: PAC SWI-X

Originally posted by maugs808
just did the same thing last weekend. i also replaced my bose with a new alpine deck. i, however, can't live without the steering wheel controls so i put in a PAC SWI-X that i got from Crutchfield for like $70. it was easy to put in--the instructions are a bit intimidating, but if you read them carefully you should have no problem.

anyway, in order to keep the non-radio controls on the steering wheel, you have to ground the brown wire that comes from the steering wheel. it was with 5 or 6 other wires in a separate harness that plugged into the bose deck. that way, these controls used the bose's ground but since that harness is disconnected now (and probably just hanging behind your new deck) the controls are not being grounded and thus don't work.

my 2 cents: go buy yourself the PAC SWI-X and get ALL of your controls back.
Thanks maugs808... I found that wire today, grounded it and it works fine... I'll look into the PAC SWI-X....