Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Could my Capacitor be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 07:04 PM

Could my Capacitor be bad?

I have a lightning audio 1.0 Farad Cap, I use it to help stop the dimming of lights for my system, I have 2 12" Pioneer DVC's, 760 2 channel Pioneer amp, 4 channel 300 watt kenwood amp for mids and highs, and thats about it. I have 4 gauge wire form battery to cap, fro cap to splitter, then i have 8 gauge from splitter to each amp. Likewise for the ground, 4 gauge from ground to cap, and from cap to splitter, etc. Anyways, I have HIDs (use only 35w rather than the normal 85-100w) and blue leds in my gauges (which require less wattage than normal bulbs). None of these 2 dim from the bass, but my corner lights, and my tail lights still dim. Also, my interior dash clock dims too. Could there be something wrong with my cap? DO I have to recharge it? Its a digital cap, I dont really know much about caps, thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is nothing worng with your cap, you may need another. First check out your altenator to see if it's failing. If not, then get another 1.0 Capacitor to help out the one you have, or one higher Capacitor to replace the one you have.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
There is nothing worng with your cap, you may need another. First check out your altenator to see if it's failing. If not, then get another 1.0 Capacitor to help out the one you have, or one higher Capacitor to replace the one you have.
Hmmm, maybe. I knwo that my altewrnator is not "gone" because I did the test that when you have the car on and yhou disconnect the positice terminal, the car stays on, where if it were to turn off then the car would turn off. Could it be that the cap needs to be recharged? Just a though. Thanks for your reply
Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 PM

it's not your cap. you just need a stronger alternator. caps are just bandaids, temporary fixes.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 PM

A capacitor is charged when your car is running. It is a storage device. You can discharge the capacitor and when you start your car, it'll charge right back up as the engine is running. How many accessories are you using with your car stereo? Are you using mobile video equipment? Your car system is drawing more power from your altenator faster than the capacitor can store it.

That is just a thought..............
Old 11-20-2002, 10:22 PM

A capacitor is charged when your car is running. It is a storage device. You can discharge the capacitor and when you start your car, it'll charge right back up as the engine is running. How many accessories are you using with your car stereo? Are you using mobile video equipment? Your car system is drawing more power from your altenator faster than the capacitor can store it.

By the way, you own a maxima right? Because you altenator can trickle charge your battery. Do you have trouble starting you car after you run it with your stereo or anything on?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by victor
it's not your cap. you just need a stronger alternator. caps are just bandaids, temporary fixes.
amen..
Old 11-21-2002, 05:35 AM

By the way, you own a maxima right? Because you altenator can trickle charge your battery. Do you have trouble starting you car after you run it with your stereo or anything on?
Yes I own a 95 SE Maxima, I know that the 97 and up (or somewhere around there) have alternator recalls. No I don't have any video equipment (yet ), maybe it could be a not strong enough alternator, hmmmmmmmmmm. And after I use my system, when starting the car again, I never have a hard time, I hope thats a good thing.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by victor
Ditto.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Lightning Audio caps have been know to be only about half full at peak.

Caps like that stay charged, they do not charge when you start the car, and discharge when you shut it down. This is on the Alumapro caps, but not on regular generic caps.

How did you check your alternator? Amperage? Voltage? It is possible the alternator needs to be upgraded, but with the setup you have it shouldnt be causing that problem, it may be a prob that already existed that you enhanced when adding amps.

Caps are bandaids? YES !!!! VERY MUCH AGREED !

--Don
Old 11-22-2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Lightning Audio caps have been know to be only about half full at peak.

Caps like that stay charged, they do not charge when you start the car, and discharge when you shut it down. This is on the Alumapro caps, but not on regular generic caps.

How did you check your alternator? Amperage? Voltage? It is possible the alternator needs to be upgraded, but with the setup you have it shouldnt be causing that problem, it may be a prob that already existed that you enhanced when adding amps.

Caps are bandaids? YES !!!! VERY MUCH AGREED !

--Don
How about Double grounding your battery to improve your chassis ground, then reground your system. That may help. It did for me.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:06 PM

I guess the "bandaid thing" that you guys are talking about means that you guys have at least one or two amps in your cars. I am running at least 1150 watts ( not to mention the 50w x 4 in the headunit) my car, and with a brand new altenator and battery, with the system running and the lights on, they still dim. So I need that "bandaid" very much.

If they were such "quick fixes", then why do you find them in almost every car displayed in Car Audio and Electronics? Even well known musicians has them installed in their cars, put in by highly qualified mobile audio experts, who has more experience in this business then every one on this forum.

H.ell, I thought I dealing with "knowlegable" indivisuals so I can get some good input and advices. Then, you bring up "bandaids"?

Guess I need to find a better forum.....................
Old 11-22-2002, 04:12 PM

I guess the "bandaid thing" that you guys are talking about means that you guys have at least one or two amps in your cars. I am running at least 1150 watts ( not to mention the 50w x 4 in the headunit) my car, and with a brand new altenator and battery, with the system running and the lights on, they still dim. So I need that "bandaid" very much.

If they were such "quick fixes", then why do you find them in almost every car displayed in Car Audio and Electronics? Even well known musicians has them installed in their cars, put in by highly qualified mobile audio experts, who has more experience in this business then every one on this forum.

H.ell, I thought I dealing with "knowlegable" indivisuals so I can get some good input and advices. Then, you bring up "bandaids"?

damn man, we're just trying to help and you come here talking trash.

caps are good for competitions where you might need a big burst of power for your run.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:48 PM

We must have all forgotten how perfect you are , now that I'm done laughing, maybe its not that you should find a better forum, you just need to find one that stoops down to your level. Leave this forum to people who want to help others out, not like you who criticize other advice.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by D1NOnly34

We must have all forgotten how perfect you are , now that I'm done laughing, maybe its not that you should find a better forum, you just need to find one that stoops down to your level. Leave this forum to people who want to help others out, not like you who criticize other advice.

I don't need to critize anyone about anything! Like I said before, I am expericing just about everything everyone in this form have had on will have in the future. But, to ill-advise someone on whether or not a certain product would help or hinder them without first hand experience is crude and inconsiderate! AND just like everything I post, IS my opinion! If you going recommend or not recommend a person on a product, at least have the problem and solve it yourself. I DON"T post anything that I haven't experienced, and certainly will not recommend anything that I have didn't have experience in.

Seems to me what you like to do is flame on others who expresses their opinions based on what they have experienced, not what they read. But that is your problem and you must deal with it!

Anyway, I go another week before I go back to work, and if you live in my neck of the woods, we'll meet and I'll show you what I have learned and applied in my ride. Then you can judge and flame!