Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I bought an Ipod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought an Ipod!!!

and I'm as giddy as a 6 year old in a candy store with a twenty dollar bill

I bought an ipod 5 gig mp3 player (which is wonderful since i got rid of my aiwa car mp3 player (which sucked majorly)

of course i didn't pay retail...got it on ebay for 200 smackers (used of course but came with all the goodies)

unfortunately it is the mac version and I have a pc...but lo and behold there is this wonderful software called xplay....which i found on kazaa

so now i have 1000 mp3's in my pocket (or bra if i have no pockets )

and the BEST part!!

when I use the IRock cordless FM transmitter.....I now have 1000 mp3's in my car

so I no longer have to search through loads of cd's to listen to something (which was majorly annoying when the case would slide wayyy up under the seat where I could not reach it)

the Ipod is backlit so I dont have to figure out which cd is which in the dark cause i'm too dang lazy to reach up and turn on the map light

life is good
Old 11-21-2002, 08:10 PM

good idea...Im gonna have to steal it.

That IRock FM transmitter came with it? or seperate...whats the price?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN
good idea...Im gonna have to steal it.

That IRock FM transmitter came with it? or seperate...whats the price?
nope...got the transmitter at radio shack for 29.99

apple sells it for 50 on thier website...so go to radio shack
Old 11-21-2002, 10:07 PM

Pretty good for 200 bones......
I recently bought a Pioneer Headunit that plays MP3s on CD-R/ CD-RW with ID3 tag (I can bring up the file names of the songs I play) and just discovered that the Pioneer 6-disc CD changer is compatible
with my headunit. Which means that I have 6 + 1 CD system that can play MP3s! And I don't know how many songs I can put on a CD!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
And I don't know how many songs I can put on a CD!
160 to 180 mp3's on one disk
Old 11-22-2002, 12:37 PM

The most I've got was 230 songs on one CD, I put 52 full CD's on only five CD's, oh and the I-Pod thing is a cool idea, but I would have tried to get a 20 Gig one, no offense, Peace, See ya.
Dave S.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by D_train7
The most I've got was 230 songs on one CD, I put 52 full CD's on only five CD's, oh and the I-Pod thing is a cool idea, but I would have tried to get a 20 Gig one, no offense, Peace, See ya.
Dave S.

I'm still trying to organize the 400 mp3's into playlists now...I didn't even want to try to do that with 4000 mp3's

and there is no way i was getting a 20 gig for 200 bucks (unless of course a crackhead off the street was sellin it )

i'm happy with my legally obtained Yet small for its size ipod

anyone know of a freeware program that rips, edits tags and has cddb lookup?
let me know
Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 PM

Try Musicmatch. It is pretty good.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:53 PM

mp3s depend on bitrate

more bitrate = more size

at 192kbs 1 cd can hold about 7 full albums
Old 11-22-2002, 05:47 PM

musicmatch does all of that?? dang...got to reintall it then \

thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 10:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

musicmatch does all of that?? dang...got to reintall it then \

thanks
ms.thicknes:

I've also got the Ipod and agree with you that it's the best thing this side of horsepower for a car. A few tips for you:

1) goto www.ipodlounge.com for forums and help/tips - I'm akrus there too

2) I've never used xplay, but most podders use ephpod to transfer the music/playlists. It's free and works great. I've got the WinPod that came with a special version of Musicmatch (the download version can't transfer to ipod - not sure if the new 7.5 version of MM can) I tried to access ephpod's website (www.ephpod.com) but it wasn't coming up so try ipodlounge forums for ideas of other download sites.

3) I thought about getting the larger units as well, but since I have 44Gb of music, none of them would have held all of it so I'd still be in a jam. Luckily the ipod is Firewire and is viciously fast (transfer 3Gb from pc to ipod = 10 minutes). Since I have firewire in my notebook and desktop pc, I can move music around whenever I want.

4) with about 850 songs (of varying length and 192 + kbps) it holds plenty of music for any drive. This week I put 2400 kms on the Maxima in 4 days and never turned the radio on once - it was great.

Hope to see you at ipodlounge, ms.thicknes. The ipod has been the best thing I've bought since my Maxima

Albert
Old 11-23-2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by akrus

ms.thicknes:

I've also got the Ipod and agree with you that it's the best thing this side of horsepower for a car. A few tips for you:

1) goto www.ipodlounge.com for forums and help/tips - I'm akrus there too

I already joined!! found the website via google

2) I've never used xplay, but most podders use ephpod to transfer the music/playlists. It's free and works great. I've got the WinPod that came with a special version of Musicmatch (the download version can't transfer to ipod - not sure if the new 7.5 version of MM can) I tried to access ephpod's website (www.ephpod.com) but it wasn't coming up so try ipodlounge forums for ideas of other download sites.
I bought the mac version so the only software that I have I can't use I reinstalled musicmatch and downloaded the updates and the dvx codec and have ephpod but need macopener which is 30 bucks (and the trial version that I downloaded didnt work so I couldnt see if I like it enough to pay for it)

xplay is not that great because I have windows xp...so every time I connect the ipod to my laptop, xplay wants me to reinstall it (boo hiss on that) and if ephpod does that I don't want to pay 30 bucks for it either....I'm beginning to desire an apple just so I can use itunes....all the sites that I found make it seem like itunes is better than air when you have an ipod!

does your firewire cable charge your ipod? I just realized today when it gave me a low battery warning that mine does not...fortunately I did get the wall charger with it...and apparantly I need to invest in the car charger....

there was one site that I found that had an all in one car charger/fm transmitter/holder for $99 so that will be my next ipod purchase
(I bookmarked the site at home)

wanna be ipod buddies
Old 11-23-2002, 12:51 PM

I already joined!! found the website via google

Cool, see you there.

does your firewire cable charge your ipod? I just realized today when it gave me a low battery warning that mine does not...fortunately I did get the wall charger with it...and apparantly I need to invest in the car charger....

My desktop has the 6pin firewire port and it does charge my ipod, but my notebook only has a 4pin port so it doesn't charge the ipod. I just carry the wall adapter when I'm away from the home pc for extended periods.

there was one site that I found that had an all in one car charger/fm transmitter/holder for $99 so that will be my next ipod purchase
(I bookmarked the site at home)

I've heard mixed reviews with regards to the FM transmitters (haven't seen a review of the one you're talking about) I use the cassette adapter in my car and it works fine, but I'm working on a device that will allow me to run my cellphone and ipod through an fm modulator.

wanna be ipod buddies
Hehe. You're an ipodder with a Maxima, if you lived closer....

BTW, you got PM.

Albert
Old 11-23-2002, 02:48 PM

My desktop has the 6pin firewire port and it does charge my ipod, but my notebook only has a 4pin port so it doesn't charge the ipod. I just carry the wall adapter when I'm away from the home pc for extended periods.

dang..mine too...oh well I will definately be investing in the wall charger

I found the all in one charger/transmitter/dock at
www.everythingipod.com it's called the Transpod all in one car solution for the ipod

Hehe. You're an ipodder with a Maxima, if you lived closer....

BTW, you got PM.

Albert

dang...Canada...Ontario to Miami--one heck of a road trip

and it's nice and sunny today....a glorious 62 degrees today...not to rub it in or anything but we are still wearing short stuff

and you too...have a pm
Old 11-23-2002, 02:55 PM

I found the all in one charger/transmitter/dock at
www.everythingipod.com it's called the Transpod all in one car solution for the ipod

Yup, that's the one I thought you were talking about.

dang...Canada...Ontario to Miami--one heck of a road trip

It's not that bad in a 2k2. Much more enjoyable with golf clubs in the trunk.

and it's nice and sunny today....a glorious 62 degrees today...not to rub it in or anything but we are still wearing short stuff

Lemme see, we do have a couple of offices in Florida... wonder if they need some on-site support

and you too...have a pm
Saw it - you got pm....

Albert
Old 11-24-2002, 04:04 PM

Albert you are the "shiznit"!!!

thanks for all your assitance with my pod....

I now have a winpod and ephpod software is MUCHHHHHH better than xplay woo hoo

i'm so happy i'm just 'ing in my seat!

Old 11-25-2002, 03:56 AM

Albert you are the "shiznit"!!!

thanks for all your assitance with my pod....

I now have a winpod and ephpod software is MUCHHHHHH better than xplay woo hoo

i'm so happy i'm just 'ing in my seat!

Anytime. I'm glad I could help you out. Ephpod definitely rules. Incredible that it's free.

Are you going to be getting the everything ipod charger/holder/transmitter? If so, let me know how it works out.

Enjoy podding.

Albert
Old 11-25-2002, 11:15 AM

Having read this whole post...

I know two things:

1. Ipods rule.

2. Mac products have a way of bringing people together, sharing the love, and making you think about taking road trips from Ontario to anywhere warm.

I also feel like I was intruding...

Good post, y'all. Keep the love coming!

Davecmu
Old 11-25-2002, 12:39 PM

Are you going to be getting the everything ipod charger/holder/transmitter? If so, let me know how it works out.

Enjoy podding.

Albert
actually I came up with the wierd idea of hardwiring it to my car radio....whether I can do this or not remains to be seen since I don't remember if there are any available outlets on the rear of the receiver that I have (there are none on the front)

I let you know what I come up with
Old 11-26-2002, 05:40 AM

actually I came up with the wierd idea of hardwiring it to my car radio....whether I can do this or not remains to be seen since I don't remember if there are any available outlets on the rear of the receiver that I have (there are none on the front)

I let you know what I come up with
That'd be great. Since I got the ipod, my cd buying has started to rival my golf spending during the summer. Normally I look forward to the winter so I can save some money for golf season. Damn Ipod.

Albert
Old 11-26-2002, 05:44 AM

Re: Having read this whole post...

Originally posted by davecmu
I know two things:

1. Ipods rule.

2. Mac products have a way of bringing people together, sharing the love, and making you think about taking road trips from Ontario to anywhere warm.

I also feel like I was intruding...

Good post, y'all. Keep the love coming!

Davecmu
Bwahahaha!!! That was funny.

And you are intruding

Albert
Old 11-26-2002, 06:34 AM

That'd be great. Since I got the ipod, my cd buying has started to rival my golf spending during the summer. Normally I look forward to the winter so I can save some money for golf season. Damn Ipod.

Albert
winmx.exe and kazaa.exe = more money for golf
Old 11-26-2002, 07:04 AM

FYI

I formatted my mac ipod into a pc ipod

I finally found the software that would update the ipod and reinstall the necessary files on it to make it work as a winnipod

I am using ephpod and no longer need macopener

after I formated it to fat32 I was sh!tting bricks cause it would power up and then show a folder with a question mark then cut off

I also discovered that XP has a ID3 tag editor built in, BUT it doesn't work all the time (damm microsoft)

if you select the files (say the entire TLC album 3D) and then right click on one of the files, then chose properties, click on the summery tab and then click on advanced

in some cases all of the ID3 fields are there...but in others the only thing there is the Title field and the comment field. Of course XP had a brain fart and errors and all sorts of crap...so there went my idea of batch processing my ID3 tags......went looking for more software....

and I still have not found one that allows you to batch process a bunch of files...cause that editing one file at a time **** is for the birds. I didn't go to bed last night till 2 am. I had to FORCE myself to turn off the computer

I never cared about tagging anything till i got an Ipod....dammit dammit dammit

but I still love my winnipod aka poohbear

the best part is that if any of you buy one...we are here to help
dontcha just love the internet
Old 11-26-2002, 08:12 AM

winmx.exe and kazaa.exe = more money for golf
I actually use Ubernet http://www.chrismyden.com/uber/ to 'sample' music but still prefer to buy the cd and rip it.

Albert
Old 11-26-2002, 08:19 AM

FYI

I also discovered that XP has a ID3 tag editor built in, BUT it doesn't work all the time (damm microsoft)

if you select the files (say the entire TLC album 3D) and then right click on one of the files, then chose properties, click on the summery tab and then click on advanced

in some cases all of the ID3 fields are there...but in others the only thing there is the Title field and the comment field. Of course XP had a brain fart and errors and all sorts of crap...so there went my idea of batch processing my ID3 tags......went looking for more software....

and I still have not found one that allows you to batch process a bunch of files...cause that editing one file at a time **** is for the birds. I didn't go to bed last night till 2 am. I had to FORCE myself to turn off the computer
Have you tried Visual MP3 Organizer? I haven't used it myself, but it seems to have loads of features and seems to be well liked.

Albert
Old 11-26-2002, 11:34 AM

Have you tried Visual MP3 Organizer? I haven't used it myself, but it seems to have loads of features and seems to be well liked.

Albert
stop tryin to make me pay for stuff
Old 11-26-2002, 11:49 AM

stop tryin to make me pay for stuff
If you happen to complete the renaming of ID3 tags during the trial period, are you still committed to purchase the product?

Hmmmm.....

Albert
Old 11-26-2002, 11:57 AM
I aim to misbehave.

FYI

I formatted my mac ipod into a pc ipod

I finally found the software that would update the ipod and reinstall the necessary files on it to make it work as a winnipod

I am using ephpod and no longer need macopener

after I formated it to fat32 I was sh!tting bricks cause it would power up and then show a folder with a question mark then cut off

I never cared about tagging anything till i got an Ipod....dammit dammit dammit

but I still love my winnipod aka poohbear

the best part is that if any of you buy one...we are here to help
dontcha just love the internet

For the past few years, I have used MP3 Tag Studio. I love it... pretty simple interface and it allows you to create ID3 tags based on file names, set tags en masse, and do loads of other things I never tried. Good luck!

Doug