Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Interior Neons question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:07 PM

Interior Neons question??

I have a 98 max and i'm in the process of purchasing interior neons to put under the front dashes and under the front seats. i'm not sure wut size i should get..i was thinking 8". but i dont really know alot about this stuff.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jay
Old 12-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I use 6" neon tubes. Under the passenger side dash and just above the fold down seats in the trunk to light up my amp wall. The drivers side has the indiglo foot pedals, so there was no need for another tube there.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:56 AM

a 15" under each seat will fit good
Old 12-01-2002, 12:43 PM

I have a 2K3 with the following neon:

1 - 20" tube Driver side
1 - 20" tube Passenger Side
1 - 9" Mini-tube driver seat
1 - 9" Mini-tube passenger seat
1 - 20" tube in bandpass box

I use Streetglow (which I recommend), but you have to take into account that most of the tubes have the transformer built into the tube its self so between that and the end cap it ends up cutting off 5" off the tube (ie: a 20" tube is only 15" of actual light).

I really like the way the 20" tube bathes the foot wells. It gives a more even light than the smaller ones. Also, the 9" mini tubes have one transformer that is separate and both tubes plug into that. That gives the advantage of running one power wire and the tubes have less cut off because the transformer is not on the tube (just the end caps).

In my setup I ran one power line from the battery to a switch then ran the wires from the neon to the switch. The seats have the transformer where the parking brake is in the center console. As far as mounting, I used zip cords. Oh, another nice thing about the mini tubs is they are so thin that they really won't get kicked by back seat passengers and you can pass a vacuum hose under the seat without worrying about breaking them. Ok, I'll shut up now but check out my pics (looks much better in person). - If you figure out how to take a good pic of neon at night, let me know!

One more thing - MAKE SURE YOU PUT A FUSE ON THE POWER LINE!!! and let me know if you have any questions!

Old 12-01-2002, 12:56 PM

how did u fit a 20" tube under the front dashes i measured it and there is no way that would fit... i ended up buying the 6" tubes b/c my friend told me to get those plus there was like 8" of space there if it doesn't look good i'll return them for bigger but i dont see how it is possible to fit 20" tubes under the dash. i also ended up gettin the 12" tubes for under the seats. thanx for all the advice

-Jay
Old 12-01-2002, 08:09 PM

Here's how!

Remember, they don't have to be burried in the dash (actually, it's better if their not. Just hold the light under there with your hand and see if you can see the tube. If not, you're all set! Just wire and zip it up!

Check the next few posts for the pics

Driver's Side:

Old 12-01-2002, 08:11 PM

Passenger Side

Old 12-01-2002, 08:14 PM

Clean install, dirty mats

Here's where I mounted the switch!

Old 12-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First off those look Hot, nice job... Im looking to do the same to my 96 GLE, was wondering if those are Neon Blue.. or Turqoise?
Old 12-29-2002, 11:59 PM
Got Projectors?

Neon install looks good...

Now for my shameless plug...I happen to have a bunch of Street Glow Neon for sale in the classifieds...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=176976
Old 12-30-2002, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by Norel
First off those look Hot, nice job... Im looking to do the same to my 96 GLE, was wondering if those are Neon Blue.. or Turqoise?
Thanks for the compliment The color is Neo Blue by StreetGlow. Very nice looking blue IMO.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:37 AM

Changed my wiring...

..in one of the other posts about neon, another .Org member had mentioned that they hooked up the neon power to the parking lights. I don't know why I didn't think of that but I eneded up doing it this weekend. I had the wire going into the engine compartment so I decided to tap off the wiring going to the actual parking light.

It worked out really well. I still have the switch in line, but I now have the lights controlled by turning on the parking lights! One less thing to forget about when you get out of the car.

In retrospect I didn't even need the swtich, I could have just pulled the fuse on the power wire for the neons, but it was already there.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:31 PM

Neon blue.......... That matches the power buttons on my ride and I had to accessorise!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:43 PM

Installed

Well i went out today and finally got them. I wemt 2 15' in the front a 2 9' in the back. Got them all ziptied up. However i have to run to work, i only had time to wire one of them up (Driverside). TO get the power, i cut off the Ashtray light. Did away with the plastic clip, and wired it into a two-way switch. So far looks good. The real test will come tonight. If all goes well, ill do the other ones tommorow.
Quick question though, do you guys think the ashtray light is a good power source? I tried to find out what else runs off that fuse, but couldn't find it. I was going to run it to the headlights or something like that, but i really didn't want search for a way through the fire wall. Any suggestions on a good power souce, or do you think the Ashtray light will be able to handle 2 15' lights?
Old 12-30-2002, 01:36 PM

Re: Installed

Well i went out today and finally got them. I wemt 2 15' in the front a 2 9' in the back. Got them all ziptied up. However i have to run to work, i only had time to wire one of them up (Driverside). TO get the power, i cut off the Ashtray light. Did away with the plastic clip, and wired it into a two-way switch. So far looks good. The real test will come tonight. If all goes well, ill do the other ones tommorow.
Quick question though, do you guys think the ashtray light is a good power source? I tried to find out what else runs off that fuse, but couldn't find it. I was going to run it to the headlights or something like that, but i really didn't want search for a way through the fire wall. Any suggestions on a good power souce, or do you think the Ashtray light will be able to handle 2 15' lights?
The ashtray light should be fine (although I'm sure its on the same circuit as the other interrior lights). Those tubes will run at a very low amperage and if it is too much of a draw the fuse will blow. No harm done....just find another power source. With my 3 - 20" & 2 - 9" I'm only using a 2 AMP fuse. I could probably use a 1.5 but they don't seem to make them.

One suggestion that I have, the wires can get real messy behind the dash, see if you can have one wire coming off for the main power and then wire the others into that. Also, get some 1/4" split loom tubing..it will clean things up a lot.

Let us know how it worked out!
Old 12-30-2002, 07:30 PM

Ya so far looks like that fuse can hold both lights. Funny thing happened though, my Cig Lighter stopped working tonight, when i was charging my cell. Prob blew the fuse or something, will check it in the morning when i rig up the second light in the front.

What you where saying about the lights was true. I sort of stole an idea from my buddy who has a Grand Pre with interior Neons. He mounted his switches in the center console. I did the same, Really neat and mess free. So that one wires runs up from the Ashtray area, to the center console. Used my Dremel to Drill a little hold in the inside of the center arm rest, where i mounted my switch for the front. Im not to happy with my choice of swtich so im probably going to change it out for a better one, if i can find one. Idealy what im thinking about doing is taking out the intire Center/arm rest thing, and removing the three little coin holders, since they are useless, and replacing them with 3 switches. just gotta find the right size switches and figure out how to get that armrest out. O well more to do tommorow i guess

Ill post up some pics once its all said and done. Ive been taking Pics along the way for you guys.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:59 PM

Re: Installed

I believe that is the best place to tap into for neons, radar detectors, etc........ there is constant power for the radar, and when you turn on the parking lights, the neons will glow, all from one source.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:46 AM

another nice touch

I have neons under my dash and under my pass. foot well, I wired them to the door switch. so now the neons turn on when the doors open, I also wired my underbody kit to do the same. So when the doors open all the neons turn on, when the doors close they shut off... I also have over-ride switches to put them on all the time, and to have them not turn on at all... if you want the wiring diagram or some info on this option. PM me.
Ryan
Old 01-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

haha

RICE Rice boy join a civic forum
Old 01-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HEHE

RICE! Go join a civic org rice boyz!!
Old 01-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HAHA RICE!!!! go join a civic org rice boyz!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Interior Neons question??

Rice!! join a civic org riceboyz!!
Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 PM

Anyone have pictures of how you mounted neons in the back?
Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM

Pics

Finally got some of the pictures up on my site, the rest will be coming in the next few days. check out my homepage to see them.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:12 AM

Re: Re: Interior Neons question??

Originally posted by MaxSleeper22
Rice!! join a civic org riceboyz!!
I got you the first 3 times, learn how to post dumbass.

If you must post, why not make it something constructive? Nobody really cares what your opinion of neon is...they would have asked if they wanted it.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:58 AM

Re: another nice touch

Originally posted by 97maxinMA
I have neons under my dash and under my pass. foot well, I wired them to the door switch. so now the neons turn on when the doors open, I also wired my underbody kit to do the same. So when the doors open all the neons turn on, when the doors close they shut off... I also have over-ride switches to put them on all the time, and to have them not turn on at all... if you want the wiring diagram or some info on this option. PM me.
Ryan

Look at you, you stole my idea!!!! I was planning to do the same thing next month. However, since you installed it first, then it is your idea. I'll PM you later with my e-mail address to check out your schematics on that.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:29 PM

Ryan
I get a delay on the tubes firing up when it's cold out. Does the same happen to you? Also, my smaller tubes (2 - 9" under the seats) need some rubbing to fire on until they warm up.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 PM

Its about as cold as cold gets here in NY. (24 degrees out right now) and mine fire up right away. Mabe check your connections
Old 01-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: another nice touch

Originally posted by spta97

I get a delay on the tubes firing up when it's cold out. Does the same happen to you? Also, my smaller tubes (2 - 9" under the seats) need some rubbing to fire on until they warm up.
I've had neons for a while and it's been my experience that it's not unusual for them to take a few seconds to light when it's cold. The mini tubes (kits with pairs) seem to be affected most by this.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: another nice touch

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

I've had neons for a while and it's been my experience that it's not unusual for them to take a few seconds to light when it's cold. The mini tubes (kits with pairs) seem to be affected most by this.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Yea, people on the street glow board say the same thing. I think it has something to do with the fact that the bulbs use gas. Florescent lights are the same way.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Does the dome light come on after you hit the keyless entry to open the doors? It would be cool to activate the underbody neon every time you unlock.

Ryan