Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Antenna/Reception Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Antenna/Reception Problem

I just installed a new system in my 2K; JVC KD-SX980 with Infinity Reference speakers. It's not going to win any awards, but it was cheap and is about 10,000 times better than the factory cassette deck.

Everything works great & sounds great except I get total cr@ppo radio reception. Thinking I had a bad antenna adapter, I replaced the one I originally got (I forget the brand) with a new Metra AntennaWorks 40-NI11. Still garbage reception...even AM.

I just tested the orginal (factory) radio to make sure I hadn't somehow broken the antenna wire during installation. The factory stereo works fine.

Now, I don't know if I'm just unlucky and have purchased two defective antenna adapters, but I'm at a loss as to what's wrong.

Any ideas on what the problem is?
Is there a better antenna adapter I should be using? Brand/Model?
Am I missing something stupid, like having to ground something I haven't?

Help!

metz
Old 12-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you have a maxima GXE and a non-motorized antenna?
Jae
Old 12-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by ThurzNite
do you have a maxima GXE and a non-motorized antenna?
Jae
Yep, sure do. Guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by metz

Yep, sure do. Guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Thanks for asking.
Expanding on the above post, make sure that you have the blue/white antenna turn on lead connected. Apparently there is some sort of internal amplifier for the diversity antenna.

If you do have it connected, you are in the same boat as me. My reception sucks too.

Does anyone know of a way to connect both leads of the factory antenna wire?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by spta97

isn't that what the adaptor does?
I have the adaptor and haven't wired up the switched 12v to the antenna trigger yet...but the reception seems to be the same. I will do this sometime this weekend and let u know if it makes a diff.
Another thing to note...I read an article 2 years ago that said aftermarket radios typically do not do so well picking up radio signals. They figure that if you're gonna upgrade, why would you listen to radio? So they put reception low on the priority list and instead pumped up power and cleanliness. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

I have a 97 Max GXE with non-motorized ant. I put in a 2001 Altima 6cd/radio (dbl din). The 2k1 Altimas don't have an external antenna. So far, like I said, reception seems the same. However, for my gf's 95 Altima SE with power ant, I put in a 2000 Xterra 6cd/radio (dbl din) and her reception sucks if the antenna isn't up...but it's about the same with the antenna up.

I've gone through the 99 Maxima factory service manual and there's indication of an external amplifier for those with stationary antenna...so i dunno what to say.

Jae
Old 12-04-2002, 05:29 AM

isn't that what the adaptor does?
I have the adaptor and haven't wired up the switched 12v to the antenna trigger yet...but the reception seems to be the same. I will do this sometime this weekend and let u know if it makes a diff.
Another thing to note...I read an article 2 years ago that said aftermarket radios typically do not do so well picking up radio signals. They figure that if you're gonna upgrade, why would you listen to radio? So they put reception low on the priority list and instead pumped up power and cleanliness. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

I have a 97 Max GXE with non-motorized ant. I put in a 2001 Altima 6cd/radio (dbl din). The 2k1 Altimas don't have an external antenna. So far, like I said, reception seems the same. However, for my gf's 95 Altima SE with power ant, I put in a 2000 Xterra 6cd/radio (dbl din) and her reception sucks if the antenna isn't up...but it's about the same with the antenna up.

I've gone through the 99 Maxima factory service manual and there's indication of an external amplifier for those with stationary antenna...so i dunno what to say.

Jae
I ordered the Scosche NDA adapter and I thought that I could only connect one of the leads. In looking at the picture I either got the wrong one or I was smoking crack when I connected it. I'm gonna have to take a look this weekend. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:22 PM

I think you got the wrong one...make sure it's for 1995+ Maximas.
it should look like this: http://www.scosche.com/scosche/antennas/NDA.asp
Also, certain models/years of Nissans don't require an adaptor.
haha...maybe i should do my research before posting...this's what you need:
http://metra.victorytechnologies.com...sp?Product=361
it's specifically for "nissan diversity antenna". the one you got is for non-diversity antenna nissans.
Jae
Old 12-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Expanding on the above post, make sure that you have the blue/white antenna turn on lead connected. Apparently there is some sort of internal amplifier for the diversity antenna.

If you do have it connected, you are in the same boat as me. My reception sucks too.

spta97:

I'm a little corn-fused by your comment about the blue/white antenna "turn on lead." I have a 2000 GXE, which does NOT have a motorized antenna, so I don't think there's anywhere to connect the blue/white lead from my JVC to. Then again, I've been wrong many times before.

metz
Old 12-04-2002, 07:34 PM

I know this sounds stupid; but just go XM..... since My antenna broke during a car wash, I went XM and never went back.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

spta97:

I'm a little corn-fused by your comment about the blue/white antenna "turn on lead." I have a 2000 GXE, which does NOT have a motorized antenna, so I don't think there's anywhere to connect the blue/white lead from my JVC to. Then again, I've been wrong many times before.

metz
None of the 5th gen Maxima (GXE,GLE,SE) have antenna mast stock. the diversity "in-glass" antena has a signal amplifier that needs to be fed power in order to have decent reception - hence you neeed to conect the "turn-on" lead for the "power antenna" in your harness...
Old 12-05-2002, 09:43 AM

I think you got the wrong one...make sure it's for 1995+ Maximas.
it should look like this: http://www.scosche.com/scosche/antennas/NDA.asp
Also, certain models/years of Nissans don't require an adaptor.
haha...maybe i should do my research before posting...this's what you need:
http://metra.victorytechnologies.com...sp?Product=361
it's specifically for "nissan diversity antenna". the one you got is for non-diversity antenna nissans.
Jae
ThurzNite:

Ok, now my head is spinning

From what I remember I got the NDA adaptor and was able to plug the car antenna 2-prong thing into it and one of the legs into my radio's antenna leaving one of the legs open. It amost sounds like I'm doing it backwards?

The other adapter you showed me, where / how would that plug in? Do these work together? It's hard to invision it without having it infront of me.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2002, 11:16 PM

My friend purchased a jvc head unit about 2 years ago and had a similar problem with the radio and also the auxilary connectors. it turns out it was a defect with the unit and that there was severaloothers returning the unit with the same problem. Its a long shot but mabey that could be the problem. he returned it and got a different HU and it worked out fine. He switched for a pioneer dehp9200 (same as mine) and every thing worked out. very nice head unit but equalizer is limited to only 3 band which sux. if everything else fails just try returning the unit if possible
Old 12-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Maksim2000

None of the 5th gen Maxima (GXE,GLE,SE) have antenna mast stock. the diversity "in-glass" antena has a signal amplifier that needs to be fed power in order to have decent reception - hence you neeed to conect the "turn-on" lead for the "power antenna" in your harness...
Maksim2000:

Well, I FINALLY got a chance to rip apart my dash to see what I had done wrong (note to self, don't EVER work with metal and wires in sub 30 degree weather again). You were right, I hadn't connected the "turn-on" lead from my head unit to the "power antenna" in the harness. I didn't think it needed to be connected since I didn't have a power antenna.

As soon as I connected the leads, BINGO!, the reception cleared up and I was rockin'.

Thanks for letting me know about the anenna signal amplifier.

metz
Old 12-19-2002, 06:08 AM

Maksim2000:

Well, I FINALLY got a chance to rip apart my dash to see what I had done wrong (note to self, don't EVER work with metal and wires in sub 30 degree weather again). You were right, I hadn't connected the "turn-on" lead from my head unit to the "power antenna" in the harness. I didn't think it needed to be connected since I didn't have a power antenna.

As soon as I connected the leads, BINGO!, the reception cleared up and I was rockin'.

Thanks for letting me know about the anenna signal amplifier.

metz
My reception still sucks on my Kenwood x859. Anyone else have this radio?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My reception still sucks on my Kenwood x859. Anyone else have this radio?
"Sucks" as in you can't even tune in a station or "sucks" as in you wish the quality was better?

My problem was I couldn't even tune in a station. The antenna amplifier power solved this problem for me quick.

I talked to a guy at my local car audio shop, and he indicated that sometimes the bipolar antenna adapter cables are faulty causing less-than-optimal quality. You may want to explore this idea...

metz
Old 12-20-2002, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the information on that wire. I have a 2000 Max and I too changed my radio. The reception sucks. Tomorrow I'll try that wire. It does sound logical and I think that's the solution. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:45 AM

"Sucks" as in you can't even tune in a station or "sucks" as in you wish the quality was better?

My problem was I couldn't even tune in a station. The antenna amplifier power solved this problem for me quick.

I talked to a guy at my local car audio shop, and he indicated that sometimes the bipolar antenna adapter cables are faulty causing less-than-optimal quality. You may want to explore this idea...

metz
Sucks like I can't get some stations at all (ie: 103.5) and the others fade in and out. There is almost a wobbly sound when it can't get the stations (wobble, wobble, wobble).

I called Scosche and Kenwood yesterday. Scosche said "No one ever has any problems with these" in their usual surfer-dude arrogant pompous way. Kenwood said "Could be a problem with the unit, take it to a service center". Needless to say they were not helpful.

I have had the antenna turn on lead connected since the original install so perhaps it is just a bad connecter. Do you use the Scosche or the Metra?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sucks like I can't get some stations at all (ie: 103.5) and the others fade in and out. There is almost a wobbly sound when it can't get the stations (wobble, wobble, wobble).

I called Scosche and Kenwood yesterday. Scosche said "No one ever has any problems with these" in their usual surfer-dude arrogant pompous way. Kenwood said "Could be a problem with the unit, take it to a service center". Needless to say they were not helpful.

I have had the antenna turn on lead connected since the original install so perhaps it is just a bad connecter. Do you use the Scosche or the Metra?
Well I have a Metra now, but, when I first has the reception problem I had a Scosche. I bought the Metra thinking the Scosche was bad, but it turns out my problem was that I'm stupid and never connected the antenna turn on lead. Since I threw out the Scosche, I can't tell you if it would have actually worked well or not.

Make sure your antenna turn on connection is tight and double-check you've actually got the right wires connected. I can tell you your problem sounds a lot like mine. As soon as I connected power to the antenna signal amp, poof!, the problem disappeared.

metz
Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 AM

Well I have a Metra now, but, when I first has the reception problem I had a Scosche. I bought the Metra thinking the Scosche was bad, but it turns out my problem was that I'm stupid and never connected the antenna turn on lead. Since I threw out the Scosche, I can't tell you if it would have actually worked well or not.

Make sure your antenna turn on connection is tight and double-check you've actually got the right wires connected. I can tell you your problem sounds a lot like mine. As soon as I connected power to the antenna signal amp, poof!, the problem disappeared.

metz
I connected the power antenna wire from my stereo to the Scosche wiring harness. That pin on the wiring harness goes to the white / green turn on lead on the factory wiring harness *I think*. I will get my test light on the white / green wire that is taped to the antenna in the back of the dash compartment to see if is infact getting a signal.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep posting updates as I'm sure that other people will benefit.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I connected the power antenna wire from my stereo to the Scosche wiring harness. That pin on the wiring harness goes to the white / green turn on lead on the factory wiring harness *I think*. I will get my test light on the white / green wire that is taped to the antenna in the back of the dash compartment to see if is infact getting a signal.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep posting updates as I'm sure that other people will benefit.
Any news?

metz
Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Post revival lol
thanks to the OP and the many answers received from all others. I did not know what the ant Rem wire was for either. I thought I didn't have to hook it up if I didn't have a motorized antenna. But low and behold, I got my FM reception back by hooking up this wire. Never knew about the internal amplifier.
Thanks.