Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

USD Waveguides for a 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

USD Waveguides for a 3rd Gen?

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or info on installing USD Waveguides in a third gen max. If so were they a pain to install, where did you get them from, how much....etc...etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Nate
Old 12-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: USD Waveguides for a 3rd Gen?

Originally posted by camusmuse
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or info on installing USD Waveguides in a third gen max. If so were they a pain to install, where did you get them from, how much....etc...etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Nate

wave guides are going to be a pain no matter what car you install them in really, just because of the odd design, just do a little research and check with a local car audio place to get an idea of what it will take
Old 12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: USD Waveguides for a 3rd Gen?

I guess I should of prefaced that with the fact I was a pro installer for about 8 years. I'm just looking for any tips or tricks from someone that has already installed these. Actually I'm gonna design and install my own compression drivers....{grinning}...isn't technology wonderful?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: USD Waveguides for a 3rd Gen?

Originally posted by camusmuse
I guess I should of prefaced that with the fact I was a pro installer for about 8 years. I'm just looking for any tips or tricks from someone that has already installed these. Actually I'm gonna design and install my own compression drivers....{grinning}...isn't technology wonderful?

Ahh, yeah that would have helped ! wanna design one and install two?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well if I understand you correctly....you want me to make some for you too? Installation wont be too bad if you can find the same drivers I have(I'll have to dig them outta my shop, but I think they are PIE but don't hold me to that). I'm gonna build the horns so that they mount as easily as possible to the bottom of the dash, thats one nice thing about custom units. The only problem I've seen so far is the clearance for the brake pedal, but until I get a prototype actually in the car I wont know if I have to extend the pedal(before I get flamed for this...I know how to do it right.) As for price....once I have the molds made, makin a couple of extra wont be too difficult...I havent decided if I'm gonna use ABS or fiberglass yet, but working the fiberglass will definitely be easier. I cant see the overall price being more than $300 though,hundred a peice for the drivers, 100 or so for the horns. I'll have a better idea of what it will cost after I build it myself. If you or any one else is serious....let me know. As far as that goes....I'm also gonna be working on some custom tube amps.....but those WILL be expensive....later....Nate
Old 12-11-2002, 02:32 PM

i would definitely be interested, wave guides are sweet, but can be pretty expensive, and more work that i wanna do to install them, but if they're already custome designed for a max that makes my life easier and i would definitely have to hear them first though! that can all be worked out later though. Tube amps? nice, kinda rareified area for cars though, i know there's butler audio....and did PPI make some? have you built tubes before? for home or anything?
Old 12-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Probably gonna be much later...my time seems all too precious these days, but I hope to get started on it before the end of the year. AS for the tubes...I have a couple of old Dynaco ST70 amps that I'm gonna rebuild(new boards, tubes, and caps) so I'll probably just copy them....I have a few very patient friends that are gonna walk me through it. But I dont't expect to have anything even close to started for antoher 6 or 7 months....just so expensive.... There's been a few tube car amps made in production....most so rare that even some specialty stores don't know about them(funny story about an argument I got into at a local shop about the Hifonics tube amp which he swore didnt exist and they sold Hifonics!). Most of the car amps use smaller tubes than I want to use though, 12ax7 and the such...I preferably wanna use EL34s, I'm gonna stay away from the single ended triodes for a while, crazy expensive.