Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Swap out Stock Deck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, here's the situation... my stock speakers are pretty much toasted. I'm not into spending big money on my stereo, but I do notice little differences. I'm going to get Alpine speakers all around to replace the stockers. Question is: I have a Kenwood CD deck from my old Honda which has been sitting around for a couple of years. It's still pretty new. Will there be a noticeable difference in quality with the new speakers if I swap out the stock CD player for the Kenwood? I don't have the Bose system, just the factory add-on CD player.
Old 01-01-2001, 02:13 AM

well just the new speakers alone will sound better with any deck. I would swap it anyways since just about all aftermarket ones are better than stockers. just like tires
Old 01-03-2001, 02:32 PM

wait a minute

If you plan to get Alpine speakers, you may want to consider spending a lot more money. Alpine's economy line speakers suck big time. I've used them before and they totally messed up my soundstage. The only ones that sounded decent were the "Bass Engine" separates, or the RS models. Those cost considerably more. You're better off getting some Bostons.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:37 AM
DamageR

As far as getting new speakers, i also recomend Boston seperates. Price shouldn't be too much of a problem because you can get the Rally series, which doesn't cost as much as the Pro series. That was for the front stage. Now as for the rear, i believe they are 6x9's so you can get the Boston cx9's those should fit in the rear dash. I do recomend getting an amplifier though, it would sound so much better than just running everything off the deck.

Old 01-04-2001, 07:26 PM
jsmiam

The Kenwood would probably sound quite a bit better, mostly because it probably has a much more powerful amp than the stock unit. (I'm speculating, though, I cant' say that the amp is more powerful for sure). While the rest of it (CD Player, FM Tuner, etc. is probably also a bit better than the factory stereo, it'll be the built in power that probably will be quite a bit more. (Note... if it says something silly like 4 x 35 watts, that's baloney, it's probably about 14 watts, but that's still a lot more than the factory unit)

A power amp will do wonders too, as will replacement speakers. Buy the speakers that you like best, of course. I like Boston Acoustics a lot too, and a lot of people like DEI for a value priced high quality system.