Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Use BOSE Tweeters or new 2 Way Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 11:06 PM

Use BOSE Tweeters or new 2 Way Speakers?

Hi Guys;

I'm about to switch out my stock BOSE system (New HU [Sony CDXMP70] and 2 sets of 6 1/2" speakers [Infinity 652i]) and have come across the following dilemma.

From what I have heard and read, the Infinity speakers have very decent built in tweeters that I can rotate/angle as I want.

I'm not buying component speakers, I plan on keeping my stock tweeters. So the question is, do I wire the new setup to use my existing BOSE tweeters or do I bypass them completely and just use the tweeters that come with the new Infinity speakers? My guess is that the stock tweeters aren't as good as the ones in the Infinity's and that I'm better off bypassing them completely, am I way off here??

Hope that was clear... Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:24 PM

There are several factors involved here for this decision. More than likely the newer tweeters will sound better. Using the tweeters in the front door speaker locations will probably offer you better front sound imaging as well. I would hook up just the two new sets of speakers and see how they sound. Make sure you angle the tweeters towards the listening areas. If you like the sound then keep it that way. If you don't like the sound or just want to try, you may then try wiring up your Bose tweeters. You'll probably need an adaptor to do this though. I don't know if you're running the new speakers off the radio or do you have seperate amps? That will all affect how you could wire up the factory tweeters. GOod luck.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
There are several factors involved here for this decision. More than likely the newer tweeters will sound better. Using the tweeters in the front door speaker locations will probably offer you better front sound imaging as well. I would hook up just the two new sets of speakers and see how they sound. Make sure you angle the tweeters towards the listening areas. If you like the sound then keep it that way. If you don't like the sound or just want to try, you may then try wiring up your Bose tweeters. You'll probably need an adaptor to do this though. I don't know if you're running the new speakers off the radio or do you have seperate amps? That will all affect how you could wire up the factory tweeters. GOod luck.
Hi;

I'll be running them straight from the head unit, no amp planned for now. As for the tweeters... are you sure I'll need an adapter? I know I need one if I wanted to connect to the stock BOSE speakers, since they have their own amps, however I didn't think I needed anything special for the tweeters.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:55 PM

I thought the tweeters got power from one of the bose amps as well. I thought the front amps had seperate outputs for the tweeters. I really don't know what to tell you and I could easily be wrong. However, if the tweeters are rated at 4 ohms, I would think you could just run new wire to them (bypassing the bose amp/wiring) and hook them up. Only problem I could see with that is that you'll have a total of 6 speakers now. Unless you're running the radios output through a passive crossover I don't know how you'd hook them up to your system. Someone else chime in here please. Good luck.