Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone use a Laptop GPS Receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone use a Laptop GPS Receiver?

Was looking at GPS receivers that plug into USB port on a laptop. Anyone ever use one of these. Im wondering how accurate they are? There is also a big price difference....I have found them from $99 up to $400

Just wondering how well these work. As long as it is pretty to close to where you really are I think it would be worth it. Also anyone know the best software to go with one? There are so many map programs out there its crazy.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:10 PM

I bought the deluo usb gps receiver from ebay for $99 (www.deluo.com). Its a nice size and is magnetic so i can stick it on top of the car and not worry about it falling off, even on the interstate. Its quite accurate, the only problem is the refresh rate is 4 seconds so its a little lagged. I think the refresh rate is a universal problem...someone told me the government won't allow it to refresh faster than that because they would think its being used for missile guiding or something like that. The biggest problem is finding good software. The receiver complys with the NMEA standards so it works with almost all programs, but some work better than others. Im currently using MS Streets and Trips 2002 and it lacks some places in jacksonville that i thought it would have in the program. It also won't pick up coordinates from GPS unless the receiver has no obstructions, but thats a software problem, not the receivers fault. I've heard the Delorme street atlas program is pretty good and MS Streets and Trips 2003 might have updated support/information but I'm not sure... Anyways, just buy the cheap one from delorme if youre just gonna use it in the car, its a good deal. sorry for the long post

-doug
Old 12-27-2002, 11:54 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

as good as it gets (consumer grade)
http://www.gpscity.com/products/garmin/35.html

There are alot of programs, but Delorme Street Atlas 2003 is going to be your best bet if youre looking to save some dough.

Now, if you can drop $350, go ahead and get the CoPilot for Laptops. That is far and away the best right now. it will include the GPS, so its not really that much more.

I use an Ipaq with mapopolis and a compact flash GPS, but before I was using a Sony mini-laptop and used a serial cable with a Garmin Vista. That way I could use my GPS for hiking or on the dash mount connected to the laptop.

I also have the Garmin GPS V Deluxe. its great for Nav by itself and can be had for under $400.

yeah, I've spent WAYYYY too much on nav programs

btw, SA (Selective Availabilty) actually skewed the position, not the refresh rate - and it was turned off in 2000. You can now easily lock within 5-15ft with most GPS products.

a 4 sec refresh is probably a limitation of the GPS chipset you have. Everything I've bought has a 1 sec refresh.