Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I bought some speakers, haven't been installed yet... did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought some speakers, haven't been installed yet... did I make a mistake?

For Christmas I got a credit towards speakers at SoundTrack ($150), and I have to pay the rest. My parents went in with me and after listening to a bunch of speakers, I narrowed it down between Alpine and Infinity. I ended up choosing the Alpine speakers, and I go sometime next week to pay the rest of the amount due and to have them installed.

I chose the Alpine over the Infinity speakers because the Infinity speakers sounded a little more like they were muffled, and the Alpine speakers seemed a bit brighter and more natural in their sound quality and they seemed to have better bass.

I know that the speakers will sound different once they are in my car. I will be using my stock headunit, without an amplifier for now.

Do you think I made a mistake in my choice? Would I end up being happier with the Infinity speakers? I always hear such good things about Infinity, so I dunno... anyways, they said if I decide I like the Infinity speakers better I can change to them (they were only like $20 more).
Old 12-28-2002, 11:01 PM

Go with the Infinity's bro. Alpine makes nice headunits and mobile video stuff, but thet are going the way of Rockford - way to mainstream. Their speakers are really not that vivid. Infinity has stuck to speakers and speakers alone. I have the Kappas in my car and they sound unreal.

JR
Old 12-29-2002, 01:32 AM

Infinity hasn't stuck to speakers alone, they made amps up until a year ago. They don't do speakers anymore because they are a part of Harman Performance Group which owns them, Harman Kardan, JBL, and a few other stereo companies. And Harman wants JBL to produce the amps.

I'm running Kappa Perfect components and subs, powered by JBL amps. Very pleased with the sound.

Originally posted by capvent
Go with the Infinity's bro. Alpine makes nice headunits and mobile video stuff, but thet are going the way of Rockford - way to mainstream. Their speakers are really not that vivid. Infinity has stuck to speakers and speakers alone. I have the Kappas in my car and they sound unreal.

JR
Old 12-29-2002, 06:36 AM

use what you think sounds better. everyone's ear is going to like something different. JMO.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by victor
use what you think sounds better. everyone's ear is going to like something different. JMO.
Well said, well said.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by victor
Ditto. I always hear people raving about MB Quarts. I finally got a chance to listen to them myself and I found them too bright and very harsh. I eneded up getting RFs instead for about 1/3 the price. They sounded great in the store, hopefully the same holds true for when I install them

Just think about it, some people actually like the way the Bose system sounds
Old 12-31-2002, 10:56 AM

i like the bose. the only problem is the sub doesn't give much output. i don't want to break the bank on a system for this car.

actually, the only expensive thing would be the amp to drive my mids and tweets.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:48 AM

I use Infinity Kappa series in my car. They are the best I came across so far. But like some said, those are your ears. The way they sound during a in-store demonstration, may sound different once in your car, but it is your choice. If you want to try the ones you got, keep it clean and keep the box & the receipt. You can exchange them if you don't want them.