Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HELP, Stereo Pro's i think something is seriously wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP, Stereo Pro's i think something is seriously wrong

Ok here's the deal, as most of you know i just installed my stereo over break with Jay(thebigsadler) everything was working great until yesterday. For no reason my components began to cut in and out while driving emitting scratchy noises so i immediately shut them off, checked all the connections and the stereo works fine when the car is just sitting. So i take the car out again to see if the problem is solved, well no, as soon as i start to turn it up i start hearing the scratchy noises coming from the speakers again, sounds like they are blown but they aren't cause i check everything again and at idle the f-er's wail like usual. Please HELP me i dunno whats wrong i am afraid i am about to blow up an amp or speakers or something.

Pearl96max i heard your an expert and your in the NJ area, i tried emailing you but my computer is on the fritz too i hope you read this thread.

Thanx in advance.
-Arnaud

Stereo Stuff:
Diamond Audio s600 comps/Polk Momo comps/Audiobahn 4ch amp
2 12in Audiobahn Subs/Audiobahn 1200watt amp/Audiobahn Farad Cap
Old 01-05-2003, 03:16 PM

bad ground ????? maybe not a thick enuff ground?
Old 01-05-2003, 03:23 PM

all my grounds are 8 guage and ran into a ground distribution block and i checked it, seems to be fine? stereo started working again today no idea what the hell happened, guess i'll go through the whole thing again.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:07 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: HELP, Stereo Pro's i think something is seriously wrong

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Ok here's the deal, as most of you know i just installed my stereo over break with Jay(thebigsadler) everything was working great until yesterday. For no reason my components began to cut in and out while driving emitting scratchy noises so i immediately shut them off, checked all the connections and the stereo works fine when the car is just sitting. So i take the car out again to see if the problem is solved, well no, as soon as i start to turn it up i start hearing the scratchy noises coming from the speakers again, sounds like they are blown but they aren't cause i check everything again and at idle the f-er's wail like usual. Please HELP me i dunno whats wrong i am afraid i am about to blow up an amp or speakers or something.

Pearl96max i heard your an expert and your in the NJ area, i tried emailing you but my computer is on the fritz too i hope you read this thread.

Thanx in advance.
-Arnaud

Stereo Stuff:
Diamond Audio s600 comps/Polk Momo comps/Audiobahn 4ch amp
2 12in Audiobahn Subs/Audiobahn 1200watt amp/Audiobahn Farad Cap
You got mail.....
Old 01-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Replied...are u online aka AIM ?
Old 01-05-2003, 07:13 PM

8 gauge sounds a little small. what size is the power wire? i don't think those are the problems though, they might be, but i'm not sure.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:34 PM

the power wire is 4 guage to a stinger block distributing 8 guage to the amps, i doubt thats the problem i am only running 1600 watts nothing insane ya know? i am pretty sure there is some wiring that is pinched or loose somewhere i just can't find it. Also do you think the gains on the amps might have anything to do with it, i don't think they are set to high?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by MaximaRider
the power wire is 4 guage to a stinger block distributing 8 guage to the amps, i doubt thats the problem i am only running 1600 watts nothing insane ya know? i am pretty sure there is some wiring that is pinched or loose somewhere i just can't find it. Also do you think the gains on the amps might have anything to do with it, i don't think they are set to high?
Sounds like it could be an RPM-dependant interference caused by signal cable accepting interference from the alternator.

Try the car at idle, (and at rest), then rev the engine and see what happens.