Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sub recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sub recommendation

Can somebody please recommend a sub that will handle 600W RMS @ 2 Ohms?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 11:36 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Diamond Audio TDX12D4

--Don
Old 01-22-2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Diamond Audio TDX12D4

--Don
Good Lord that's not even close to what I was asking for! Not only is it 1500 Watts but it's 4 Ohms!!! I can't even imagine paying that much for ONE sub.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

Good Lord that's not even close to what I was asking for! Not only is it 1500 Watts but it's 4 Ohms!!! I can't even imagine paying that much for ONE sub.

Correction....it is dual 4OHMS....meaning you can run it at 8Ohm or 2Ohm....like YOU asked for....2Ohm...

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 05:26 AM

Correction....it is dual 4OHMS....meaning you can run it at 8Ohm or 2Ohm....like YOU asked for....2Ohm...

--Don
2 Ohm was ONE of the requirements. The other was 600W. The easiest way to blow a sub is to underpower it, which is asinine to do on a $400 sub.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:41 AM

2 Ohm was ONE of the requirements. The other was 600W. The easiest way to blow a sub is to underpower it, which is asinine to do on a $400 sub.
O really, now I always thought it was distortion....
Old 01-23-2003, 05:45 AM

O really, now I always thought it was distortion....
Distortion leads to blown speakers.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:48 AM

Distortion leads to blown speakers.
Uhhh isnt that exactly what I just said????
Old 01-23-2003, 06:04 AM

Uhhh isnt that exactly what I just said????
WTF? Go take some Paxil or something. Try putting together complete thoughts, too ("O really, now I always thought it was distortion..") and people might have a clue of what you're talking about. My point was that underpowering your speakers leads to distortion which leads to blown speakers. I don't know what you were trying to add...
Old 01-23-2003, 06:36 AM

WTF? Go take some Paxil or something. Try putting together complete thoughts, too ("O really, now I always thought it was distortion..") and people might have a clue of what you're talking about. My point was that underpowering your speakers leads to distortion which leads to blown speakers. I don't know what you were trying to add...
When your original post was copied into my especially the part where it stated "the easiest way to blow a sub is to underpower it". I simply replied with " I thought it was the level of distortion".

I am not the one getting all worked up over it, so please keep your Paxil jokes to yourself.

-_Don
Old 01-23-2003, 06:43 AM

When your original post was copied into my especially the part where it stated "the easiest way to blow a sub is to underpower it". I simply replied with " I thought it was the level of distortion".

I am not the one getting all worked up over it, so please keep your Paxil jokes to yourself.

-_Don
Actually, that's not what you said, but that's cool. I'm not getting worked up over anything. And the paxil remark was advice, not a joke. Later.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:13 AM
jmax

A 1500 watt sub may also be overpowered by a 100 wtt signal. It's a matter of differentiateing between the voice coils thermal RMS limit and the extremes that the sub may be pushed in different enclosures. Build an SPL ported box and you can blow a huge voice coil. Also, FYI, the impedance is determined by the voice coils of the speaker, not the amp. But the enclosure also affects impedance as impedance varies depending on the position of the voice coil. Nominal impedance and actual impedance are quite different.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by jmax
A 1500 watt sub may also be overpowered by a 100 wtt signal. It's a matter of differentiateing between the voice coils thermal RMS limit and the extremes that the sub may be pushed in different enclosures. Build an SPL ported box and you can blow a huge voice coil. Also, FYI, the impedance is determined by the voice coils of the speaker, not the amp. But the enclosure also affects impedance as impedance varies depending on the position of the voice coil. Nominal impedance and actual impedance are quite different.
COOL! Thanks for all the info! On that note, do you have any recommendations on what I should do? Don't you think it would sound better for me to run a single sub at or near 600W as opposed to 2 subs @ 300? What is better for a tighter cleaner sound? Right now I have 2 IDQ 12's running in a sealed enclosure off of a JBL BP600.1 amp. What would be a good single sub to run off of that amp in a sealed enclosure?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

COOL! Thanks for all the info! On that note, do you have any recommendations on what I should do? Don't you think it would sound better for me to run a single sub at or near 600W as opposed to 2 subs @ 300? What is better for a tighter cleaner sound? Right now I have 2 IDQ 12's running in a sealed enclosure off of a JBL BP600.1 amp. What would be a good single sub to run off of that amp in a sealed enclosure?

Thanks!
Diamond Audio M612D4
Old 01-23-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Diamond Audio M612D4

Well Put !!!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:06 AM

Diamond Audio M612D4
OK. Try again for a sub under $200. I'm not spending $350 on one sub.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:10 AM

Diamond Audio CM312D4

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

JL audio 12W3D4.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Diamond Audio CM312D4

--Don
Just like a drug dealer, always trying to push your product huh?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
JL audio 12W3D4.
I would definitely love to go with a JL Sub. That one is only rated for 250W though. Anything closer to 600W for around $200-$250?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:45 AM

No joke...
Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 AM

Diamond Audio M612D4
Well put!

My M612D4 is taking a POUNDING at a true 600W RMS into 2 ohms. It takes it like a champ.

If you would open your eyes a little bit dude you would know that Pearl96Max is one of the MOST respected audiophiles/dealers on this forum. Appologize now and maybe he'll help you into a M6 12D4 like myself.

Mike <---system designed and engineered by Pearl96Max (I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!)
Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by namike

Well put!

My M612D4 is taking a POUNDING at a true 600W RMS into 2 ohms. It takes it like a champ.

If you would open your eyes a little bit dude you would know that Pearl96Max is one of the MOST respected audiophiles/dealers on this forum. Appologize now and maybe he'll help you into a M6 12D4 like myself.

Mike <---system designed and engineered by Pearl96Max (I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!)
Hey, I appreciate his suggestion. I just don't have that amount of money to spend on a sub! That's crazy. I don't want a competetion system. I just want a sub that will give me the sound I want (tight and clear). There are plenty out there that will do that without costing me an arm and a leg. I would like to be able to put performance parts on my car in ADDITION to audio.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Hmm..how about Orion P2 or H2 subs.

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/subwoof...b_p_series.asp

I would definitely love to go with a JL Sub. That one is only rated for 250W though. Anything closer to 600W for around $200-$250?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:51 PM

Kicker Solobaric. It will eat up some good wattage. S12L5 or S12L7.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:58 PM

What do you guys think about Rockford Fosgate Punch amps? They have the HX2 RFD2112 that's 500W RMS, 1000W Peak. Do you think that would be good?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:10 PM

dude, word to the wise, dont mess with don. secondly if he makes a recommendation it's obviously a good one. and third, shut the hell up.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by InfamousOrange

dude, word to the wise, dont mess with don. secondly if he makes a recommendation it's obviously a good one. and third, shut the hell up.
Eat me.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:21 PM

With all due respect to your budget, the CM312D4 will only run ya about $120

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 01:22 PM

Yes Sir, BUT drugs....bad for you,
Diamond Audio....good for you, your car will thank you too !

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 01:33 PM

With all due respect to your budget, the CM312D4 will only run ya about $120

--Don
Where can I go to look at the specs?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 PM

Where can I go to look at the specs?

http://diamondaudio.com/

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Eat me.
Ok What gets me MrCollegeGuy is that you didn't know what you were talking about in the beginning saying that underpowering a sub blows a sub. Jmax Handed you your a** nicely on that one. But you bashed Don on that one!! He only gave you the facts about distortion.

Then you waste everyones time by not giving all of the info up front on what you really want. See, what you really want is a cheapo sub that sounds like a million bucks at 2ohms that can handle 600 watts rms. hmmmm, If thats what you would have asked in the beginning we all could have given you and your question the respect that it deserves, and you would not have gotten flamed. Since thats not what you said, I would of course said Diamond tdx 12d4. Good Choice Don!!!

To answer your question then I would go with 1 kicker l7 or l5 but wait you don't want one sub either you want 2!!! Picky aint we!! why the hell dont you just keep the subs that you have?? Otherwise Kicker CompVr's will do you fine! See If you know what I know Namike was telling the truth when he said:
In closing I have only two things to say!!!
In the Words of Don " RockFart Sucks" Oh and
Hey Don, my TDX Still in your garage? I'll See you soon for it!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Redmax

Ok What gets me MrCollegeGuy is that you didn't know what you were talking about in the beginning saying that underpowering a sub blows a sub. Jmax Handed you your a** nicely on that one. But you bashed Don on that one!! He only gave you the facts about distortion.

Then you waste everyones time by not giving all of the info up front on what you really want. See, what you really want is a cheapo sub that sounds like a million bucks at 2ohms that can handle 600 watts rms. hmmmm, If thats what you would have asked in the beginning we all could have given you and your question the respect that it deserves, and you would not have gotten flamed. Since thats not what you said, I would of course said Diamond tdx 12d4. Good Choice Don!!!

To answer your question then I would go with 1 kicker l7 or l5 but wait you don't want one sub either you want 2!!! Picky aint we!! why the hell dont you just keep the subs that you have?? Otherwise Kicker CompVr's will do you fine! See If you know what I know Namike was telling the truth when he said:

In closing I have only two things to say!!!
In the Words of Don " RockFart Sucks" Oh and
Hey Don, my TDX Still in your garage? I'll See you soon for it!!!

But of course it is in my car "in my garage"

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 01:43 PM

I don't like any of the rockford subs...especially the Punch series.

What do you guys think about Rockford Fosgate Punch amps? They have the HX2 RFD2112 that's 500W RMS, 1000W Peak. Do you think that would be good?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Redmax

Ok genius, Underpowering ANY speaker and driving it too far on the little power you are giving it WILL blow it. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I don't have time to teach your a** a physics lesson.

Then you waste everyones time by not giving all of the info up front on what you really want. See, what you really want is a cheapo sub that sounds like a million bucks at 2ohms that can handle 600 watts rms.
I don't EVER recall saying I wanted a "Cheapo" sub. I said I wanted a sub for around $250. I don't recall saying that I want a competetion level sub either, but that's all I was given, so I had to CLARIFY.

hmmmm, If thats what you would have asked in the beginning we all could have given you and your question the respect that it deserves, and you would not have gotten flamed. Since thats not what you said, I would of course said Diamond tdx 12d4. Good Choice Don!!!
Good for you.

To answer your question then I would go with 1 kicker l7 or l5 but wait you don't want one sub either you want 2!!! Picky aint we!!
Wow, now you're just makin stuff up. Go ahead and tell me where I said that I wanted TWO subs.

why the hell dont you just keep the subs that you have?? Otherwise Kicker CompVr's will do you fine!

Because I don't want the subs I have. I want ONE sub. I want more trunk space, and I want less bass. IS THAT OK WITH YOU?? Some of you people take yourselves WAY too seriously. I'm actually very appreciative of the advice Don is giving me. He's actually been helpful as opposed to you tag-team f**** that keep ganging up on me.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:53 PM

-_Don
Don, I apologize for being such an a** earlier. Bad day @ work...
Old 01-23-2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I don't like any of the rockford subs...especially the Punch series.

Care to elaborate?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:55 PM

Ok genius, Underpowering ANY speaker and driving it too far on the little power you are giving it WILL blow it. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I don't have time to teach your a** a physics lesson.

I'm actually very appreciative of the advice Don is giving me. He's actually been helpful [/B]
Thank you.....

No sarcasm intended here but then My Phoenix Gold 600Ti pushing my two M612D4s wrong? 600Ti=600 watts.

--Don
Old 01-23-2003, 01:57 PM

Don, I apologize for being such an a** earlier. Bad day @ work...

No prob

Quick Reply: Sub recommendation