Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sub recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Thank you.....

No sarcasm intended here but then My Phoenix Gold 600Ti pushing my two M612D4s wrong? 600Ti=600 watts.

--Don
Actually, I suppose the effect I'm thinking of is probably less pronounced on big subs. More on speakers that run say at 150 RMS, and you run them off of the HU @ 15W, if you crank it they will go bye bye.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:59 PM

Dude, stop acting like an A**. You were given plenty of good choices, now take the time out from trying to pretend like you know what you're talking about, and acting like you're the car audio God, and research the subs people suggested to you. the kicker comps redmax suggested are a good choice for you, also try The Memphis Power Reference 15-PR104D it only cost $80 (so your cheap a** can afford it)
Old 01-23-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by InfamousOrange
Dude, stop acting like an A**. You were given plenty of good choices, now take the time out from trying to pretend like you know what you're talking about, and acting like you're the car audio God, and research the subs people suggested to you. the kicker comps redmax suggested are a good choice for you, also try The Memphis Power Reference 15-PR104D it only cost $80 (so your cheap a** can afford it)
DUDE! PLEASE get over yourself! Just when I've calmed down from the last insane post you made, you have to come back with MORE. I've apologized to Don, and I AM looking into what he is telling me. You don't have to call me cheap because I don't want to spend half a grand on A subwoofer. I already said $250 is around what I want to spend. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending $80 on a sub. I would be afraid to EVER turn it up.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

DUDE! PLEASE get over yourself! Just when I've calmed down from the last insane post you made, you have to come back with MORE. I've apologized to Don, and I AM looking into what he is telling me. You don't have to call me cheap because I don't want to spend half a grand on A subwoofer. I already said $250 is around what I want to spend. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending $80 on a sub. I would be afraid to EVER turn it up.
this sub is made by memphis so it's high quality, second of all it was reviewed by mobile entertainment and they said it was excellent.The review can be found in their most recent issue or at their website mobile entertainment .
Old 01-23-2003, 02:11 PM

this sub is made by memphis so it's high quality, second of all it was reviewed by mobile entertainment and they said it was excellent.The review can be found in their most recent issue or at their website mobile entertainment .
Hmmm..Why do you guys not like the RF Punch subs? They seem like they would be okay. How do companies like Diamond and Memphis lay so low? I have never heard of either, but they both seem to make such good stuff. Is a lot of car audio like that? I've always heard that DynAudio is really good. Is that still true?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Ok genius, Underpowering ANY speaker and driving it too far on the little power you are giving it WILL blow it. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I don't have time to teach your a** a physics lesson.

I don't EVER recall saying I wanted a "Cheapo" sub. I said I wanted a sub for around $250. I don't recall saying that I want a competetion level sub either, but that's all I was given, so I had to CLARIFY.

Good for you.

Wow, now you're just makin stuff up. Go ahead and tell me where I said that I wanted TWO subs.

Because I don't want the subs I have. I want ONE sub. I want more trunk space, and I want less bass. IS THAT OK WITH YOU?? Some of you people take yourselves WAY too seriously. I'm actually very appreciative of the advice Don is giving me. He's actually been helpful as opposed to you tag-team f**** that keep ganging up on me.
See, I will only comment on one of your Assinine Remarks because i have work to do right now but If you read any audio magazine, or ask a real speaker tech you will find that the voice coils of a large speaker, ie. a sub can take alot of abuse. Underpowering a sub is not what destroys the voice coil. It is the level of distortion that usually goes with underpowering a sub. Most people turn up the bass on their HU to get the sound of more bass and turn the gains on the amp all the way up to the point where its clipping!!!Which then in turn blows the damn thing!!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Redmax

See, I will only comment on one of your Assinine Remarks because i have work to do right now but If you read any audio magazine, or ask a real speaker tech you will find that the voice coils of a large speaker, ie. a sub can take alot of abuse. Underpowering a sub is not what destroys the voice coil. It is the level of distortion that usually goes with underpowering a sub. Most people turn up the bass on their HU to get the sound of more bass and turn the gains on the amp all the way up to the point where its clipping!!!Which then in turn blows the damn thing!!
See my prior message to Don please:

Actually, I suppose the effect I'm thinking of is probably less pronounced on big subs. More on speakers that run say at 150 RMS, and you run them off of the HU @ 15W, if you crank it they will go bye bye.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:36 PM

i say we leave MrCollegeGuy alone now, maybe he's just having a bad day. U seem alright, so red let's stop yellin at him cuz we dont want to make him cry.J/k. and to answer your questions about diamond and memphis, they sell their products based on quality, not hype. they know that dedicated car audio enthusiasts will use their products so they don't have to spend millions of dollars on advertisements. Just like you don't hear about companies like dynaudio audison mcintosh focal, etc. but they make some of the best products out there. they just don't advertise because their market is geared toward those who care alot about car audio and not just th kid who drives around town with their bass and car rattles blastin.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM

there are plenty of great suggestions that were made here.
go out and listen to some subs, buy want you want and give me your idqs for 10 dollar.

-k
Old 01-23-2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by astro1112
there are plenty of great suggestions that were made here.
go out and listen to some subs, buy want you want and give me your idqs for 10 dollar.

-k
My problem is that I really don't know where to go. I know for sure you don't mean I should truck down to my local Best Buy. I know they won't have this sort of stuff there. Should I look up Car Audio Shops in something like the yellow pages? That sounds good, I will try that this weekend. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and if you can think of anything else, please keep it coming.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:54 PM

i say we leave MrCollegeGuy alone now, maybe he's just having a bad day. U seem alright, so red let's stop yellin at him cuz we dont want to make him cry.J/k. and to answer your questions about diamond and memphis, they sell their products based on quality, not hype. they know that dedicated car audio enthusiasts will use their products so they don't have to spend millions of dollars on advertisements. Just like you don't hear about companies like dynaudio audison mcintosh focal, etc. but they make some of the best products out there. they just don't advertise because their market is geared toward those who care alot about car audio and not just th kid who drives around town with their bass and car rattles blastin.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm really sorry about earlier. I had a bad day at work. I just got back from school, and my 2 philosophy classes really helped me clear my head. In any event... Let me summarize again what I am looking for. I am looking for Crisp, clear, and powerful bass. Bass that doesn't rumble, and the focus isn't on SPL, but Quality. I have a 600W 2 Ohm amp to run whatever I get. I thought about it, and if I sell my 2 IDQ's then I can apply that money toward the new sub/enclosure as well. As mentioned before, I am thinking 200-300 would be around what I would like to spend. Of all the suggestions you guys have given me, would you think the Diamonds would work the best, and if so, where do I buy those from online(the others as well)? Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:10 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Kumbaya my Lord...Kumbaya...

Old 01-23-2003, 11:07 PM
jmax

Dynaudio is very well respected for haveing a very natural sound. A very dry sound. So natural that it is not popular with mainstream or the young crowd. They are also very expensive and hard to find for cheap.

I still think that there is a sub out there under your price mark that will make you happier than anything that has been mentioned. But I haven't been shopping in that range myself so can not think of it right now. From the description of the sound you want I would say small sealed box. Whatever size sub you choose use one of the smallest recommended sealed enclosure sizes. That will give it a sharper low end rolloff and less "rumble." Not as sharp a roll off as ported and still clean down below the resonant frequency.

Hey, I know what you need. My old Diamond 12" dual 4 ohm MacDaddy. It's not quite as good as the current M6 series. But as it is used It could be had for much less dough. And it is very happy with 500 - 800 watts in 0.85 cubic feet sealed. Right now it is in my living room connected to my HT running off of an Adcom 555, 200 X 2 at 8 ohms, 600 bridged at 8 ohms.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:46 AM

Diamond Subs

Hey Don,

I've been looking through the Diamond website. It looks like either the M6 series or the CM3 series will be great. What benefits would I have in going with the M6 over the CM3? Being that I am looking for tighter type bass, would you recommend 10" instead of 12"? Finally, can I buy the subs off of you? I don't know if you are affiliated with the company or not, but it almost sounds like you are. If so, that would make it very simple for me. Let me know what you recommend, based on my previous amp (JBL BP600.1 600W @ 2OHMs)

Here is a link to the amp I have if you would like to read the specs just to make sure:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/JBLBP6001

Also, what do you guys think of Crystal Mobilesound speakers? That's what I have up front.

Thanks for everything!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dude, word to the wise, dont mess with don. secondly if he makes a recommendation it's obviously a good one. and third, shut the hell up.

Diamond Audio....good for you, your car will thank you too !

--Don
True, true. My car thanks me every day.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:09 AM

Hmmm..Why do you guys not like the RF Punch subs? They seem like they would be okay.
Well, when I have ripped the cones off of them by pushing one with only 200 watts, it defeats the purpose for me. I have a lot of friends who like RF subs. Great for them, not for me. Too many bad experiences. Cheap, mass manufactured materials equal little operating life, distortion at high volumes, and an aggravation and pain to get the subs serviced.

How do companies like Diamond and Memphis lay so low? I have never heard of either, but they both seem to make such good stuff. Is a lot of car audio like that?
Diamond usually costs more than the majority of manufacturers out there, and that seems to eliminate them from most people's minds. A lot of individuals seem to want to build an entire system for under $1000. You can't really so that with Diamond.

As far as Memphis is concerned, I do not like their speakers, but their amps are not bad. Their class D amps can put out some serious wattage, but for around the same price as a studio 500d, you can get a Diamond Audio D5 600.1, which is a much better quality amp.

In summary, Diamond Audio is the choice for me and a few others on this board, but it is not for everyone. Whether constrained by money, time, no dealers in their area, or whatever, lots of people choose to go another route. However, I have yet to hear of anyone going the route of Diamond Audio, only to switch to something of a lower quality. Usually the consensus is that once you go with Diamond Audio, you refuse to settle for anything else. Diamond is high quality and you hardly ever have to worry about a product going bad or malfunctioning. It should not be seen as a purchase, but as an investment.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: Diamond Subs

Hey Don,

I've been looking through the Diamond website. It looks like either the M6 series or the CM3 series will be great. What benefits would I have in going with the M6 over the CM3? Being that I am looking for tighter type bass, would you recommend 10" instead of 12"? Finally, can I buy the subs off of you? I don't know if you are affiliated with the company or not, but it almost sounds like you are. If so, that would make it very simple for me. Let me know what you recommend, based on my previous amp (JBL BP600.1 600W @ 2OHMs)

Here is a link to the amp I have if you would like to read the specs just to make sure:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/JBLBP6001

Also, what do you guys think of Crystal Mobilesound speakers? That's what I have up front.
Go with the M6 subs. Better quality and it is something you won't be disappointed with.

As far as Crystal subs go, my brother has 2 10s in his Navigator, and it sounds friggin awesome. They were fairly inexpensive, but sounded amazing for the price. I am impressed with them, but I will stick to Diamond. Their components produce the sound that is ideal for my tastes. The silk tweeters in the s600s component sets are amazing. Not harsh, with the right amount of crispness to reproduce vocals excellently.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by C-Dawg

In summary, Diamond Audio is the choice for me and a few others on this board, but it is not for everyone. Whether constrained by money, time, no dealers in their area, or whatever, lots of people choose to go another route. However, I have yet to hear of anyone going the route of Diamond Audio, only to switch to something of a lower quality. Usually the consensus is that once you go with Diamond Audio, you refuse to settle for anything else. Diamond is high quality and you hardly ever have to worry about a product going bad or malfunctioning. It should not be seen as a purchase, but as an investment.

Couldnt have said it better myself !

--Don
Old 01-24-2003, 11:18 AM

Couldnt have said it better myself !

--Don
I try.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:22 PM
no more maxima...

Re: Sub recommendation

What are you looking for? A lot of SPL, SQ, a mix?
The Elemental Designs K series 12", Resonant Engineering SE series 12" and Beyond Audio 12" X-One's are all excellent buys. They can all easily handle 600 wrms.
Can somebody please recommend a sub that will handle 600W RMS @ 2 Ohms?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 11:58 PM
jmax

Re: Re: Sub recommendation

Originally posted by kingrukus
What are you looking for? A lot of SPL, SQ, a mix?
The Elemental Designs K series 12", Resonant Engineering SE series 12" and Beyond Audio 12" X-One's are all excellent buys. They can all easily handle 600 wrms.
That's one of those little names I could not remember. There are at least a dozen more out there.

Old 01-26-2003, 08:37 AM
no more maxima...

Yeah, but these 3 in particular are getting a lot of respect now. My next sub(s) is more than likely going to be from one of the 3 here.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:14 PM

where to get a diamond

hey i like those diamond audio subs ,,I was thinking of getting a jlw7 13.5 or a beyond audio 15 inch,but I have to say the diamonds are very impressive,how do they compare to the 2 above.Also where can I get a good price on a diamond tdx series sub like a 12 or 15?
Old 01-26-2003, 09:39 PM
jmax

The Diamond is about 80% of a JL W7. But the W7 is primarilly an SQ sub. This is because it and at least one other are so clean that they do not sound as loud as they are. It's amazing how clean loud bass just doesn't sound as loud. But put it on a meter and be ready to be surpriced.

Old 01-27-2003, 01:39 AM

I would also like to throw the Kicker Solobaric S10L7 in the mix. Not bad SQ and power for a 10" square sub.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:10 AM

Re: where to get a diamond

Originally posted by ivan25
hey i like those diamond audio subs ,,I was thinking of getting a jlw7 13.5 or a beyond audio 15 inch,but I have to say the diamonds are very impressive,how do they compare to the 2 above.Also where can I get a good price on a diamond tdx series sub like a 12 or 15?
I sell the TDXs

--Don
Old 01-27-2003, 07:10 AM
jmax

Originally posted by NightRider
I would also like to throw the Kicker Solobaric S10L7 in the mix. Not bad SQ and power for a 10" square sub.
Remove kicker from vehicle. Deposit in trash with bose. If you think the kicker is an SQ sub then look no further for SQ. You won't know it when you find it.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by jmax

Remove kicker from vehicle. Deposit in trash with bose. If you think the kicker is an SQ sub then look no further for SQ. You won't know it when you find it.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:37 PM

hey pearl96max,give me a price on one 15 inch and a 12 inch..email me back at curiousjorge1114@msn.com I just might buy one of these ,,if the price is right.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by jmax

tru dat man....tru dat