Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Does a capacitor make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does a capacitor make a difference?

I'm thinking of getting a capacitor for my system. I have one amp bridged to two 12". I plan on getting a Punch 700 or something like that. My lights dim now when the bass is cranking. Will a capacitor make a difference on that and will it make it sound harder because ample power is there? Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Does a capacitor make a difference?

Originally posted by thomasd cook
I'm thinking of getting a capacitor for my system. I have one amp bridged to two 12". I plan on getting a Punch 700 or something like that. My lights dim now when the bass is cranking. Will a capacitor make a difference on that and will it make it sound harder because ample power is there? Thanks for any replies.
I would recommend a "flux" capacitor. Just don't go above 88 mph.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:39 AM

:-/ for the same money as a cap...u can just get a second battery...then you'll have NO light dimming at all....
Old 02-03-2003, 09:59 AM

In my old car I had a secon battery wired in line with my power leads and it really didn't make much of a difference. Just want to make sure it's really worth getting or a waste of money. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:30 PM

how do you hook up a second battery...thats such a good idea since my dad has a mechanic body shop i can get a battery for free rather then pay 200bux for a cap
Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 PM

The better idea would be to get rid of the ****ty factory battery with a good one, and see if thats enough, a 2nd battery in this case is very unlikely to be needed and just take up space.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:31 PM
jmax

Originally posted by max'n out
The better idea would be to get rid of the ****ty factory battery with a good one, and see if thats enough, a 2nd battery in this case is very unlikely to be needed and just take up space.
A second battery is a larger strain on the alternator than a single battery. Have you ever noticed that a battery sitting in a drawer will die over time? The one under the hood is the same except the alternator recharges it. A second battery would place twice the demand on the alt leaving less power for your stereo. The only time a second battery is recommended is when the radio is regularly listened to without the engine running.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 PM

Just buy a yellow top battery.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:52 PM

If you want to do it right, upgrade your alternator. If you are looking for a cheep fix, go for the cap. As mentioned previously, there is never a need for another battery unless you listen for extended periods with engine off.

Brett
Old 02-04-2003, 07:05 AM

Got mail!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:59 AM
jmax

Originally posted by bahmax
If you want to do it right, upgrade your alternator. If you are looking for a cheep fix, go for the cap. As mentioned previously, there is never a need for another battery unless you listen for extended periods with engine off.

Brett
Brett, how many times have you changed an alt in a Maxima?

Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by jmax

Brett, how many times have you changed an alt in a Maxima?
Is this a serious question? I assume you mean that few upgraded alts (of worthwhile size) will fit in the factory location. Perhaps what I said was misleading. I was not trying to say that a new alt is appropriate for this particular case, but trying to speak to those who are misguided in saying that a new battery is a good solution to large current draw. From an electrical standpoint, an upgraded alt is the "best" option. In this particular situation, a small cap and the factory alt are more than sufficient.

In case you were being serious, I have not personally changed an alt in a Maxima. I did consider changing mine a short time ago due to a seemingly alt related problem I was having. But then the recall came along, my alt was replaced and the problem went away.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 PM
jmax

Originally posted by bahmax

Is this a serious question? I assume you mean that few upgraded alts (of worthwhile size) will fit in the factory location. Perhaps what I said was misleading. I was not trying to say that a new alt is appropriate for this particular case, but trying to speak to those who are misguided in saying that a new battery is a good solution to large current draw. From an electrical standpoint, an upgraded alt is the "best" option. In this particular situation, a small cap and the factory alt are more than sufficient.

In case you were being serious, I have not personally changed an alt in a Maxima. I did consider changing mine a short time ago due to a seemingly alt related problem I was having. But then the recall came along, my alt was replaced and the problem went away.
I asked because I have changed the stock alt out for an OG 185 amp alt. The way you said it so lightly made it obvious you havn't changed the alt. No one who has would recommend it for a tiny sub 2000 watt system or for non SPL purposes.

Old 02-05-2003, 05:32 AM

I asked because I have changed the stock alt out for an OG 185 amp alt. The way you said it so lightly made it obvious you havn't changed the alt. No one who has would recommend it for a tiny sub 2000 watt system or for non SPL purposes.
Sorry for not being clear in my original post. I agree, an upgraded alt is certainly not the most economical answer to this question or for any smaller system.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:07 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

A second battery is a larger strain on the alternator than a single battery. Have you ever noticed that a battery sitting in a drawer will die over time? The one under the hood is the same except the alternator recharges it. A second battery would place twice the demand on the alt leaving less power for your stereo. The only time a second battery is recommended is when the radio is regularly listened to without the engine running.
Agreed, especially in a case like this.

--Don

BTW, James....Ive changed Maxima alts. WoW would I not reccomend someone doing this.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:29 AM
jmax

I am still trying to figure out why he thinks money is the issue with the HO alt. Money is only 1/5th of the issue with a HO alt in the maxima. The big issue is the need to keep a spare belt becaues of the higher tension on the belt to get the HO alt to spin without squeal. Then the fact that if you tighten it too much or too little the pulley will be toasted or lost. I have gone through at leat three pulley's and 6-8 belts since installing the HO alt. Figure a minimum of 15 minutes for each belt change. And the car is basically dead untill the new belt can be installed. If the pulley goes it might take a week to find a new one. I could go on and on about why not to get a HO alt. As I said at the top of this post, money is only 1/5th of the issue with the HO alt in the Maxima.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:52 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I am still trying to figure out why he thinks money is the issue with the HO alt. Money is only 1/5th of the issue with a HO alt in the maxima. The big issue is the need to keep a spare belt becaues of the higher tension on the belt to get the HO alt to spin without squeal. Then the fact that if you tighten it too much or too little the pulley will be toasted or lost. I have gone through at leat three pulley's and 6-8 belts since installing the HO alt. Figure a minimum of 15 minutes for each belt change. And the car is basically dead untill the new belt can be installed. If the pulley goes it might take a week to find a new one. I could go on and on about why not to get a HO alt. As I said at the top of this post, money is only 1/5th of the issue with the HO alt in the Maxima.
Although the cost is hihgh, money is absolutely the easiest part. What effort or aggravation does it take to spend it?

--Don
Old 02-05-2003, 01:36 PM
jmax

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Although the cost is high, money is absolutely the easiest part. What effort or aggravation does it take to spend it?

--Don
Aggravation is sitting on the side of the road at 10:30 at night the night before a national holiday. Sitting there for 60 - 90 minutes waiting for a two truck to get you to where you have a spare pulley. It doesn't matter how much money you have, it will be aggravating regardless.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm just going to get a cap. My system isn't all that big. Plus it's the easiest thing to do, and doesn't take up much space.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

Originally posted by thomasd cook
Thanks for all the replies. I'm just going to get a cap. My system isn't all that big. Plus it's the easiest thing to do, and doesn't take up much space.
cap is the ebst way to go for you..
if you want, I have a cap laying around..
its a Rockford Fosgate cap and used for about 2 months.

Its in my sig, so u can check it out...
Ill let it go for 60 shipped to your door..

Let me know
THanks
Old 02-08-2003, 08:29 AM

I have a red top and 1 farad cap and the cap does not help much at all. Whoever mentioned the alternator, where did you get it and how much? I've heard about getting the stock one rewound, but never tried. Mr. King, would a second battery help me and where do you have yours if you do? I would really like to take care of this problem.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:59 AM
jmax

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I have a red top and 1 farad cap and the cap does not help much at all. Whoever mentioned the alternator, where did you get it and how much? I've heard about getting the stock one rewound, but never tried. Mr. King, would a second battery help me and where do you have yours if you do? I would really like to take care of this problem.
If you go to the top of the list the most important factor in powering your system is the use of proper wireing. And then actually wiring it correctly. No matter how big an alt, battery, cap etc., if the wiring is not sufficient for the demands of the amps you won't be able to power them.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I agree with everything Jmax said, you gotta have the right wiring, or it means nothing. But for xtant, the price of an alt varys by which one you get, look into ohio generaters. This would be your next best bet if your wiring is good and you have a red top and cap, a second battery is just going to put more strain on your fatory alt. I do not have a 2nd battery, just the yellow top, 15 farad cap and fact alt.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:20 PM

If you go to the top of the list the most important factor in powering your system is the use of proper wireing. And then actually wiring it correctly. No matter how big an alt, battery, cap etc., if the wiring is not sufficient for the demands of the amps you won't be able to power them.
Is 1/0 good? Anyway, I've always had the light problem with all my cars cause my Xtants are drawing 300A and the alternator is only 90 if I recall. I think my red top is dying so I'm going to be getting a yellow top soon, I hope that might help out somewhat. The reason i didn't get the alternator upgraded when I got all the work done was because the turn around was a week (that means one week without the car). Are they making prefab alternators for the max now? Is that why you recommend ohio generators? But I guess it is the cheap strobe mod?!
Old 02-09-2003, 07:40 AM
jmax

What is each amps max current draw and what is each amp pushing as far as speakers and impedance load? 1 farad is only good for 50-100 amps. Installing a 10-20 farad cap will be cheaper than upgrading the alt. And no matter how big the alt is, you will need much more capacitance and very low ESR for a system that can draw 300 amps peek.

OG has a delco rebuild alt that is an easy mod fit. Make sure you read every post on this topic before ordering a new alt.