Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

good 8 inch sub for bose spot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 AM

good 8 inch sub for bose spot?

Hey guys,

I want to know what some really good 8 inch subs are...it will be going in my bose spot in a sealed box...I just want some good opinions before I drop the cash for the project
Old 02-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Re: good 8 inch sub for bose spot?

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
Hey guys,

I want to know what some really good 8 inch subs are...it will be going in my bose spot in a sealed box...I just want some good opinions before I drop the cash for the project
If you are looking for SQ, the CDT Minibox 8 is by far the best deal out there. It's a great sub and doesn't require much power. The Image Dynamic ID8 is also a good small box sub. Finally, for a bit more money the Diamond CM3 8 is nice as well.

Brett
Old 02-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey guys,

you might also check out the boston acoustices proseries 8 inch...very nice sub, you'll need a good amp to run it though, it's picky and wants lots of good clean power.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:01 PM

Thanks Guys,

I have Diamond Audio all the way around, so I will probably go with that 8 inch. How much should I be paying for one? Anyone got a hook-up?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks Guys,

I have Diamond Audio all the way around, so I will probably go with that 8 inch. How much should I be paying for one? Anyone got a hook-up?

Talk to Don! Pearl69Max or something close to that. Look around he's easy to find, and a great trustworthy guy!
Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by ObsidianIce69

Talk to Don! Pearl69Max or something close to that. Look around he's easy to find, and a great trustworthy guy!
Im right here ! :attention

--Don
Old 02-06-2003, 03:16 PM

great suggestions so far.. If you're not in too big of a hurry, ED is releasing the e8a, and JL is releasing a 8w7 as well.. both would be worth looking into..
Old 02-06-2003, 03:23 PM

if you could find one a MTX thunder 7000 sub is great small box sub but I beleive they a discontinued them.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Asingle ID8 or (my recommendation) an Infinity Kappa 8 will fdo the trick, small box, too. I have run the Kappa 8"s and love them. I even have one at the house, unused...
Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

there is still always the possibility of a Kicker solo 8...... .33cft

--Don
Old 02-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
there is still always the possibility of a Kicker solo 8...... .33cft

--Don
Don't many 8" subs run in about .33 sealed? The Kappa that I have requires .35 cu ft.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM
DVR
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

MaxDoogie,

Just curious if you purchased and installed yet? I'm thinking about doing the same.

Does anyone know how well it works to replace that Bose sub still using the OEM amp provided to power it? What is the wattage/ohm needed for in a sub replacement?

Thanks for your help,
Derek
Old 03-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Got Projectors?

Shameless Plug:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=193918

I am selling the 8" freeair Kicker sub that I was using.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:05 AM
DVR
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd be interested in something like this, but I'm not interested in dealing with installing an amp right now. What the wattage/ohms specs for your kicker vs. the OEM bose sub?

Thanks,
Derek

Originally posted by MetaOrbit
Shameless Plug:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=193918

I am selling the 8" freeair Kicker sub that I was using.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:17 AM
jmax

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/overview/8Aoverview.htm

I wouldn't use the bose amp.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:15 AM

Re: Re: good 8 inch sub for bose spot?

Originally posted by DVR

MaxDoogie,

Just curious if you purchased and installed yet? I'm thinking about doing the same.

Does anyone know how well it works to replace that Bose sub still using the OEM amp provided to power it? What is the wattage/ohm needed for in a sub replacement?

Thanks for your help,
Derek
Hey Derek,

I haven't done it yet...I have been waiting for the JL Audio 8w7 to come out..That sub sounds good and I know JL makes good products (may be a little pricey though). I'll let everyone know when I get it done and I will have plenty of pics, too
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by DVR
I'd be interested in something like this, but I'm not interested in dealing with installing an amp right now. What the wattage/ohms specs for your kicker vs. the OEM bose sub?

Thanks,
Derek

I agree with jmax, I wouldn't use the BOSE amp. The Kicker sub is 4 ohm, and I can't remember exactly, but I believe it's RMS rating is 75-100 watts.

As far as specs on the BOSE sub...I don't know. It's a horrible excuse for a speaker..
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM

Image Dynamics ID8 v3. With a .33 sealed enclosure it sounds like you have a monster in the trunk
Old 04-03-2003, 04:37 AM

I just installed the Infinity Basslink last night. It is awesome. I got it for $180 on e-bay brand new with the remote. The remote is under the steering column to the right for easy access, but hidden. I took the BOSE sub out and re-mounted the Bose amp so it is snug. The reason for taking out the BOSE sub is to utilize the hole as a port. It works beautifly. The nice thing about the Infinity is that it is nice quality, clean/crisp bass. Much better than you will get out of an 8". Now, let me say this. You will not win any car stereo competitions or shake the car next to you. I don't need that kind of bass. My system now is perfect. The Bose highs are clear and the bass is clear.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:58 AM

Okay guys I know I've beem saying I would post pics, so I will if someone will tell me how!!! I'm assuming I'll have to e-mail them to someone who can. To refresh everyone's memory, I cut out a section of the rear deck and installed a sealed enclosure for (2) JL Audio 8W3v2's. I have also almost completed the amp rack underneath and have pictures of it as well as the sealed carpeted enclosure. From the inside of the trunk you can barely see the bottom of the enclosure, and I have hardly taken up any space including the amp rack. The rack holds a ( 1 Fared Stinger Cap, The 2 passive crossovers for my front JL components, and my JL 500/5 amp.) The back decklid looks almost completely factory except for the 2 JL grills. My car is a 2003 Titanium SE w black cloth but the decklid piece of course was grey.
I recovered with black felt and left the 2 child restrainst in place with there grey covers. Turned out great. Again, if someone will tell me how to post pics, I will.

Shane
Old 04-03-2003, 07:14 AM
jmax

http://www.dcmax.org/photo.htm

Try something a little bigger. Three 12's in the deck in a sealed box.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by ssmithmax03
Okay guys I know I've beem saying I would post pics, so I will if someone will tell me how!!! I'm assuming I'll have to e-mail them to someone who can. To refresh everyone's memory, I cut out a section of the rear deck and installed a sealed enclosure for (2) JL Audio 8W3v2's. I have also almost completed the amp rack underneath and have pictures of it as well as the sealed carpeted enclosure. From the inside of the trunk you can barely see the bottom of the enclosure, and I have hardly taken up any space including the amp rack. The rack holds a ( 1 Fared Stinger Cap, The 2 passive crossovers for my front JL components, and my JL 500/5 amp.) The back decklid looks almost completely factory except for the 2 JL grills. My car is a 2003 Titanium SE w black cloth but the decklid piece of course was grey.
I recovered with black felt and left the 2 child restrainst in place with there grey covers. Turned out great. Again, if someone will tell me how to post pics, I will.

Shane
Sign up for a cardomain page through the org (free) and upload your pics there. It tells you how to do it. Then you just post links to the pics or insert the links between [.img][/.img] tags (without the periods).
Old 04-03-2003, 07:36 AM

That's sweet Jmax, what did you do about the trunk rods??? I was going to go two twelves, but I would have had to lose the trunk rods. Thought about doing something with trunk struts like in my SC400, but decided I didn't want to sacrifice that much trunk space. Two kids and golf clubs will do that to you.
After doing the enclosure for the eight's, I'm pretty sure now I could have gotten two ten's in there. If you have anymore pics, I would love to see them.

Shane
Old 04-03-2003, 09:16 AM
jmax

Originally posted by ssmithmax03
That's sweet Jmax, what did you do about the trunk rods??? I was going to go two twelves, but I would have had to lose the trunk rods. Thought about doing something with trunk struts like in my SC400, but decided I didn't want to sacrifice that much trunk space. Two kids and golf clubs will do that to you.
After doing the enclosure for the eight's, I'm pretty sure now I could have gotten two ten's in there. If you have anymore pics, I would love to see them.

Shane
I no longer have that box in the car. I removed the trunk rods completely. A single gas strut from Pep Boys is enough to lift the trunk from about 3-5 inches above the closed position. I am considering replaceing with a linear actuator mounted directly below the rear deck on the outer edge of the sub enclosure area. Linear actuators are expensive so I am still shopping around looking for alternatives on a money, convenience and ease of install scale.

To tell you the truth you can remove all types of opener and the trunk will still function. You just need a trunk suppor stored in the trunk. A roll of cork from wall mart two feet long works great and takes up almost no space in the trunk. If someone breaks into the trunk they have to find that support to keep the lid from opening a hole in the back of their head. It falls hard and fast without support.

Old 04-05-2003, 08:13 PM

Go with an Infinity Basslink and take the use the Bose sub hole as a port from the trunk. It sounds great this way and you get a 10" with space left over. All for $200 on e-bay.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:46 PM

I already have a 12 in my trunk and it hits hard...I want the 8 inch to fill the cabin with a decent amount of "mid-bass"

I started building the box for the 8 inch today...I will be deciding by the end of the weekend what sub I will actually be going with. The box is turning out great so far...have everything cut and the base of the box put together...Look for some updated pics on my site in a week or so

Also, does anyone know where to buy an elemental designs sub? Their website store doesn't seem to work. I have read quite a few reviews and everyone seems to love that sub and say it hits real hard!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:19 AM
jmax

Visionary Audio, http://www.visionaryaudio.com/ed.htm is a dealer. But I would try the web store again or give them a phone call if that is the sub you want.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by jmax
Visionary Audio, http://www.visionaryaudio.com/ed.htm is a dealer. But I would try the web store again or give them a phone call if that is the sub you want.
Thanks for the info. I went back to their webstore and ordered up one of the their 8's...I can't wait to get it and get it all wired up...I will be carpeting the box on monday and hopefully I will have the sub by wednesday..I'll have pics as soon as I am done!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:43 PM
jmax

:)

Good luck. Don't forget to let us know how it sounds!