Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

radar detector question (mounting)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 12:02 PM
dko
duck and cover

radar detector question (mounting)

i'm about to buy a bell 985 and i was wondering where you all have your detectors mounted. i'd hate to have people see my detector and use me as a cop shield by following me or get pulled over for something and have the cop see my detector... any ideas?

i remember someone here mounted a passport 8500 below their speedo, any other places that aren't so difficult to get to and install? I'm thinking I can yank out the clock in the dash and stuff the bel in there, but do i lose any capability by having it hidden and not on the windshield. another thing is that I can always just mount it on my dash really close to my windshield with velcro so the display is tilted up for better visibility for me and less visibility for anyone else. i could also take it out of the car/hide it if need be...

let me know what you guys think.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the BEL 980 (great product) mounted on my visor with the visor clip. You can't even tell it's there from ANYWHERE outside the car. Even looking straight into the car from the grill, you cant see behind the tinting across the windshield. Can't see it from beside the car either (unless you're a midget). Perfect spot because it's completely functionable (you have to have it in front of the windshield SOMEWHERE) and invisible from the outside. Works great. You have to hard wire it though. Let us know what you decide on!

Good luck,

Lloyd
Old 02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally posted by Ma><iManiac
I have the BEL 980 (great product) mounted on my visor with the visor clip. You can't even tell it's there from ANYWHERE outside the car. Even looking straight into the car from the grill, you cant see behind the tinting across the windshield. Can't see it from beside the car either (unless you're a midget). Perfect spot because it's completely functionable (you have to have it in front of the windshield SOMEWHERE) and invisible from the outside. Works great. You have to hard wire it though. Let us know what you decide on!

Good luck,

Lloyd
hardwire meaning what? find a 12V supply and tap it, or what?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by dko

hardwire meaning what? find a 12V supply and tap it, or what?
Yeah, exactly. There are wires running along the front of the roof, along where it meets the top of the windshield. You can tap your wire into there, hide your wire, and all you see is your detector sitting nice and neat up there. No wires.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:05 PM
dko
duck and cover

Yeah, exactly. There are wires running along the front of the roof, along where it meets the top of the windshield. You can tap your wire into there, hide your wire, and all you see is your detector sitting nice and neat up there. No wires.
i think i'll mount it just aft of the steering wheel. thanks for the visor idea, but I don't think it would work out for me. i don't really like the detroit lean style and my seating position is just how i like it, which inconvieniently sets me too close to the visor for the detector to be anywhere other than 5" above and in front of my face.

the velcro idea on the dash is appealing to me more and more. checking it would take a slight glance and it's right there when i check my speed, RPM, etc. plus it's close to the windshield and hard to see from the rear unless you are half a car behing me and to the right.

i'll be sure to take pics as soon as i scrounge up the $$$ for the detector.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:52 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I have the BEL 980 (great product)
...me too

I have mine mounted with velcro above the mirror

Old 02-11-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by maximadave

...me too

I have mine mounted with velcro above the mirror

SWEET! I like the way that looks. It's hard to see too. DUDE!! You have 2 Max's?? COOL!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

DUDE!! You have 2 Max's?? COOL!
The sterling mist Max was my 2K SE auto I had for a few years then traded it in for my 2K2. I do miss my 2K
Old 02-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My V1 is mounted in the lower portion of the center (towards left) windshield. The V1 is dim and can not be seen outside the car when on the highway. It also works great. I need to try and get some pics.

-Wisky
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did a write up on how to hardwire an 8500 on another thread yesterday, read that if you need some instructions, its free the way i did it (no hardwire kit needed) My question though is, Why do ppl care if an officer see's your radar detector? If its legal in your state so what? I've had an officer tell me to get one before. They don't care, if they don't catch you doing anything illegal, your not doing anything illegal. I wouldn't mount mine behind the tint, because i've heard that greatly reduces its functionality, and i wanna know far in advance if theres a threat approaching.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by TonyGotSkilz
I did a write up on how to hardwire an 8500 on another thread yesterday, read that if you need some instructions, its free the way i did it (no hardwire kit needed) My question though is, Why do ppl care if an officer see's your radar detector? If its legal in your state so what? I've had an officer tell me to get one before. They don't care, if they don't catch you doing anything illegal, your not doing anything illegal. I wouldn't mount mine behind the tint, because i've heard that greatly reduces its functionality, and i wanna know far in advance if theres a threat approaching.
We discussed the whole "behind the tint" issue a few weeks ago. It makes no difference. Even says so in the manual. We know it's legal to have a radar detector. No one is questioning that. The reason it benefits you for a cop not to see it is that when the cop is trying to decide whether to give you a ticket or let you off with a warning, the sight of a radar detector gives the cop the idea that you have a pre-meditated intent to speed. For me, it's better to err on the side of caution (while still being able to speed every now and then. ).