Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Factory CD changer installation instructions needed! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 12:12 AM

Factory CD changer installation instructions needed! Help.

I just bought an OEM 6 disc CD changer for my 97 Max. It came from Nissan, but did not contain installation instructions. It did come with wiring diagram and operation manual, but not the details on how to get to the back of the stereo, how/where to route wires to trunk, and where to mount changer.

Does anyone know where I can find the directions online?? I've searched for a few hours with no luck. Or can someone scan and e-mail me a copy or fax me the instructions? I could get by without, but it would take a lot of trial and error and wasted time, and I might damage interior when routing cable. I like to do things right.

Also, if anyone has installed their own, please post any hints/tricks/problems that may not be mentioned in directions.

Thanks.
PS: The OEM changer for Bose stereo is on sale at Courtesy for about $145 without mounting bracket kit ($39 extra), and on E-bay with mount kit for $159. (prices do not include shipping). They were originally over $400. I got the Clarion model from E-bay. It came with 1 year/12k mile warranty. I think the other one is the USA Spec model.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You have one cable to run, it's easy. Go from the trunk, passenger side, fish the cable around the seatback and pull it from inside the car. It goes right through. Next, pop the door sils out and route the cable under the sils near the edge of the carpeting. Fish it up to the passenger compartment, then over to the back of the BOSE system. You must take the BOSE out to get to the plug in the back.

Took me about an hour to install it, it's very easy to do.

Good luck!

P.S. Why did you go OEM? USA spec makes one for the BOSE setup, there on Ebay for about 200 bucks.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:35 AM

njmaxseltd,

There was a guy on Ebay selling OEM Clarions brand new sealed with Buy It Now price of $169. So why go the USA Spec route of the OEMs have come down.

bgohan,
The 97 - 99 instructions are not that detailed. The 95 instruction were detailed. If you can get a hold of the 95 installtion instructions try that. I went through the same dilemma then a org member said try the 95 install kit as I wanted my changer on the roof of the trunk and the 97 - 99 comes with changer mounted on the floor. If not I have scanned copies of all the pages that I can upload somewhere.

Send me a PM or post here if you need me to upload the instructions.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You have one cable to run, it's easy. Go from the trunk, passenger side, fish the cable around the seatback and pull it from inside the car. It goes right through. Next, pop the door sils out and route the cable under the sils near the edge of the carpeting. Fish it up to the passenger compartment, then over to the back of the BOSE system. You must take the BOSE out to get to the plug in the back.

Took me about an hour to install it, it's very easy to do.

Good luck!

P.S. Why did you go OEM? USA spec makes one for the BOSE setup, there on Ebay for about 200 bucks.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:02 AM

Here you go. I just uploaded the pages with a small index file. Nothing fancy but it should work for you.

1995 Maxima Changer Installation Instructions
Old 02-22-2003, 12:01 PM

[i]

P.S. Why did you go OEM? USA spec makes one for the BOSE setup, there on Ebay for about 200 bucks. [/B]
The OEM Clarion for Bose was 159+ shipping. I had heard good and bad about both the USA-Spec and Clarion, so I went with best deal. Hopefully, I got a good one.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:56 AM

I installed it.

Thanks for all advice & help, guys. I installed the cd changer today. It went well, except for the fact that they sent me the wrong installation kit. There is a paper drill template for mounting the changer to the trunk deck in the kit. Mine was for a different changer which I discovered AFTER I drilled the holes and installed the jack nuts. Had to get out the pop-rivets.

Otherwise, the other hassles were removing vent piece from dash, and finding a good place to stuff all that extra cable. I put the cable inside the plastic runner alongside the doors, instead of running it under the carpet as directed.

I also ran a hot wire back to trunk from fuse panel and installed a 12v outlet for charging stuff and running my 12v cooler.

The Clarion changer DOES play cd-r discs, contrary to what I have read in some forums. The changer works good, but is just a little slow switching discs. The shuffle discs and songs feature is great.

-B
PS: I'm looking for a used spare cd cartridge, CAA-355 if anyone is selling one.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:58 AM

Re: I installed it.

Bgohan,

Good to know that you are happy with the changer. I tend to agree that in fact it does play CD-Rs. I have been using nothing but CD-Rs in mine since August 1999. The problem however is happening now. If I use the cheap Fuji or other no-name discs then the changer gets stuck and tries to read the discs and then skips a few seconds and tries again. It does that to the whole disc.

So, I would suggest that you only use brand name (I have been using Sony with good results) discs burn them at the slowest rate possible and enjoy. Using CD-Rs is hard on the laser. But if you stick to one brand it is better than the laser constantly caliberating itself to different disc media. So, I switched back to Sony and am quite happy but in the good old days it used to play most of all CD-Rs. Sticking to one disc type will just elongate the life of the changer.

Originally posted by Bgohan
The Clarion changer DOES play cd-r discs, contrary to what I have read in some forums. The changer works good, but is just a little slow switching discs. The shuffle discs and songs feature is great.

-B
Old 03-01-2003, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: I installed it.

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
Bgohan,

Good to know that you are happy with the changer. I tend to agree that in fact it does play CD-Rs. I have been using nothing but CD-Rs in mine since August 1999. The problem however is happening now. If I use the cheap Fuji or other no-name discs then the changer gets stuck and tries to read the discs and then skips a few seconds and tries again. It does that to the whole disc.

So, I would suggest that you only use brand name (I have been using Sony with good results) discs burn them at the slowest rate possible and enjoy. Using CD-Rs is hard on the laser. But if you stick to one brand it is better than the laser constantly caliberating itself to different disc media. So, I switched back to Sony and am quite happy but in the good old days it used to play most of all CD-Rs. Sticking to one disc type will just elongate the life of the changer.

Thanks for the tip on cd-r's. If I only use copies on one brand CD-R media, the laser will last longer? So if I make copies of all my original Cd's using only same brand/type of media, and only use copies in the changer, it should last longer?

Old 03-01-2003, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: I installed it.

I cannot guarntee that. But I remember reading that different brands of discs have different rflection rates. Based on that the laser caliberates to adjust the play quality. Hence I conclude that if you use 15 different kinds of media, then the laser has to recaliberate 15 times as opposed to if you use only one kind of media, it only caliberates once. Hence there are chances that it should last longer. Most people here complain about thier Head Unit going out coz they use burnt discs. I have been using originals and burn discs in my HU but I have stuck to Sony discs and I have had good luck (knock on the wood)

Since I am no electronics expert you might as well take the information with a grain of salt or run it by some one more knowledgeable.

Originally posted by Bgohan

Thanks for the tip on cd-r's. If I only use copies on one brand CD-R media, the laser will last longer? So if I make copies of all my original Cd's using only same brand/type of media, and only use copies in the changer, it should last longer?
Old 10-23-2003, 10:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually the trick with mastering CD-R's for your in-car CDplayers is to record them at 12X or slower.

I never have a problem playing my cd's on my bose. I just came across this thread as i am installing my cd changer on the trunk deck today. thought it would be helpful to pipe in.

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bgohan
Thanks for all advice & help, guys. I installed the cd changer today. It went well, except for the fact that they sent me the wrong installation kit. There is a paper drill template for mounting the changer to the trunk deck in the kit. Mine was for a different changer which I discovered AFTER I drilled the holes and installed the jack nuts. Had to get out the pop-rivets.

Otherwise, the other hassles were removing vent piece from dash, and finding a good place to stuff all that extra cable. I put the cable inside the plastic runner alongside the doors, instead of running it under the carpet as directed.

I also ran a hot wire back to trunk from fuse panel and installed a 12v outlet for charging stuff and running my 12v cooler.

-B
PS: I'm looking for a used spare cd cartridge, CAA-355 if anyone is selling one.

I Have a spare CD cartridge, only its brand new. PM me with an offer.