Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Think you can build a trunk? Lets see what you got!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Think you can build a trunk? Lets see what you got!

WORD UP! Heres your chance to submit designs for a custom trunk!! Here are the specs.
1. Must NOT make use of the spare tire area (well, it can, but I have to be able to get to the spare).
2. Must be a wedge style box so I can keep my open air in the stock position and usable(this is the tricky part).
3. Must have discrete neon and some form of a JL insignia.
4. Must have placement for 1 jl 250x1 amp, 1 jl 500x5 amp, 1 cap, 1 jl 12inch sub, and battery (optional)
5. Everything must be flush and have smooth visual transitions (i.e. no sub box just placed in the middle)

After I get designs I will post the ones I like and we'll vote. Think about it, your design in a show quality Max. email submissions to jconway@bradley.edu

-jc
Old 02-25-2003, 07:19 PM

My design is in a show quality max, mine.

I think it's kinda sad you can't come up with this on your on ( thats not really the knock you think it is) but here ya go.

Cut the metel out of the seat, tub the amps down in there, put the sub in the one side panel. The battery in the other. THis makes 3 tubs , you got the spare, and some bling, plexi can be overlayed and you get your jl logo, then neon can be added up in the deck to highlight it all, or in the glass work. There ya go theres some things to think about now take it and make it yours. Everything, and i mean everything but 3 things have been done, so take somthing and make it yours.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 PM

no insult taken, i do have my own ideas, but it never hurts to get a fresh perspective on things. Or perhaps make an amalgam of a few ideas. The bottom line is that this is a chance for people to express some creativity. And if they get a better design than mine, then I'm consciencious enought to realize something better.
-jc
Old 02-26-2003, 07:44 AM
rilla dope

It just seems strange to spend coin on a show quality setup without show quality items in said setup. One sub, 2 decent amps and 2500 bucks in show quality seems pretty strange to me, but what do I know?

You have few options with one sub if it has to be wedge style, but I would put it off to one side, then set the amps up angled in the middle against the rear seats, even out the other side of the trunk with your JL insignia, matching the size and location of the sub on the other side., maybe vinyl everything flush in silver with some painted silver fiberglass. Could be slick, just an option you won't hear often. My next setup will be 4 subs all fiberglassed show style.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:40 AM

a lot of times less is more. I'm not trying to compete on decible level or air moved, or on how many subs i can shove into my trunk. but something unique, original, and certainly away from the norm. something that no one has seen. i'll have my scetches up on my site hopefully by this weekend.
-jc
Old 02-26-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by jconway
a lot of times less is more. I'm not trying to compete on decible level or air moved, or on how many subs i can shove into my trunk. but something unique, original, and certainly away from the norm. something that no one has seen. i'll have my scetches up on my site hopefully by this weekend.
-jc
Good luck with comming up with somthing nobody has seen, that would cost so damn much, easy up over 100g's in install alone.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM

$100gs? i dont think so.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:12 PM

$100gs? i dont think so.
Ive seen many installs that cost 100 g's, and many that if not built by the person working for the company (not sold by retail) would cost over 100. You name it it's been done, rebuilt dash, new underhood, moterizeing, floor board, seats, trunk, under the car, headliner, I have seen it....What you said was somthign nobody's everyseen. Thats going to be outstandly tuff without droping massive dough.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:13 PM

$100gs? i dont think so.
Ive seen many installs that cost 100 g's, and many that if not built by the person working for the company (not sold by retail) would cost over 100. You name it it's been done, rebuilt dash, new underhood, moterizeing, floor board, seats, trunk, under the car, headliner, I have seen it....What you said was somthign nobody's everyseen. Thats going to be outstandly tuff without droping massive dough.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:34 PM

when you get in to that, i agree (guess i could have been more clear) but ive got one hell of an idea (just for the trunk) that should be pretty unique (or at the very least hella rare)and not run me more than $3-4 for everthing includin the componets. Let me try and get some scetches up so you can check it out.
jc
Old 02-26-2003, 02:50 PM

when you get in to that, i agree (guess i could have been more clear) but ive got one hell of an idea (just for the trunk) that should be pretty unique (or at the very least hella rare)and not run me more than $3-4 for everthing includin the componets. Let me try and get some scetches up so you can check it out.
jc
ok
Old 02-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installs can cost some serious money. I have seen some at the soundoffs at the GA National Fairgrounds in Perry that expressed major creativity. One car even had a plexiglass "aquarium style" enclosure that made the subs look like they were floating in the water. Bubbles and even fake fish were in the "tank."

I have even seen enclosure attached to linear actuators that would relocate to different parts of the trunk or even motorize to the outside of the trunk so the owner could access the spare.

Bottom line, if you got 4 things anything can be done, but without one if them you are lost.

1.) MONEY
2.) Creativity
3.) The knowledge or know-how
4.) Patience
Old 02-26-2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by C-Dawg
Installs can cost some serious money. I have seen some at the soundoffs at the GA National Fairgrounds in Perry that expressed major creativity. One car even had a plexiglass "aquarium style" enclosure that made the subs look like they were floating in the water. Bubbles and even fake fish were in the "tank."

I have even seen enclosure attached to linear actuators that would relocate to different parts of the trunk or even motorize to the outside of the trunk so the owner could access the spare.

Bottom line, if you got 4 things anything can be done, but without one if them you are lost.

1.) MONEY
2.) Creativity
3.) The knowledge or know-how
4.) Patience
Man that brings back memories of Perry, I wish they still have that that was the big aug event. By the way the fish tank one, if where talking about the same thing is one of fishmans cars.

One thing to add to the list is time, massive down time on the car 3 months to 3 years to build it.