Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose HU is removed, Kenwood HU is installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:28 PM

Is it possible to just run the Bose speakers directly off an aftermarket head unit, bypassing the Bose amps? My HU and speakers are fine, but the amps are all FUBAR and I need a CD player.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:38 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

you will fry the internal amp on the aftermarket head unit. the bose speakers are rated at 1 ohm and measure at ~1.75 ohms when tested with a voltmeter. this is too little resistance for the aftermarket head unit to send its powre to and would fry the internal amplifier of the aftermarket head unit.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
LOL..

No i am no mechanic or audio guru (actually a professional accountant at Pricewaterhouse Coopers), but I have been in and out of my maxima/protege/ infact any car i owned, or friends cars, ripping things appart etc..

The maxima is really easy to take apart.. I have taken apart both the 2k2/2k3 and its a breeze..

Let me tell you, i had to redo all the wiring in my car to get my xbox to interface with hte Nissan steeringwheel, and ignition feeds
ED

minirx... where did you get the shelf for below the head unit?
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sleotta
minirx... where did you get the shelf for below the head unit?
It is part of the dash kit which you mount the head unit to. Any audio shop should be able to sell you one for $20.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 AM

Whats the impedance of the factory Bose speakers in a 3rd gen?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:28 PM

does anyone know how to wire in the steering wheel remote?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you need an SWI X interface..

www.crutchfield.com

you might be able to find it else where.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:17 PM
LithiuMax

I just read this entire thread, and still have a question...

I will most likely be purchasing a headunit with an internal amp, so that I can get rid of the crappy Bose headunit. I will use it to power the Bose speakers, but not for too long (maybe 6 months). After that time I will get aftermarket speakers, and scrap Bose all together. So my question is, what should I do? Just use the headunit to power the Bose speakers, or get the PAC? Someone mentioned that the Bose speakers will fry the new headunit's internal amp - does this mean that I need the PAC regardless of whether or not I will get aftermarket speakers in the future, or can I get by without the PAC for now?

Thanks for any input..

Old 11-14-2004, 08:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
I just read this entire thread, and still have a question...

I will most likely be purchasing a headunit with an internal amp, so that I can get rid of the crappy Bose headunit. I will use it to power the Bose speakers, but not for too long (maybe 6 months). After that time I will get aftermarket speakers, and scrap Bose all together. So my question is, what should I do? Just use the headunit to power the Bose speakers, or get the PAC? Someone mentioned that the Bose speakers will fry the new headunit's internal amp - does this mean that I need the PAC regardless of whether or not I will get aftermarket speakers in the future, or can I get by without the PAC for now?

Thanks for any input..
No. When you install your HU youll of course need the Metra wire harness (70-7550) or other brand of your choice. Instead of connecting the speaker leads to each other (from HU to harness) connect the ones from the harness to Male RCA ends. Plug these into the preout section of the HU. Disregard the HUs speaker leads all together. If you need more info or help feel free to gimme a call after 9am...732-921-9046

--Don
Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No. When you install your HU youll of course need the Metra wire harness (70-7550) or other brand of your choice. Instead of connecting the speaker leads to each other (from HU to harness) connect the ones from the harness to Male RCA ends. Plug these into the preout section of the HU. Disregard the HUs speaker leads all together. If you need more info or help feel free to gimme a call after 9am...732-921-9046

--Don
Thanks Don.. I might be calling you as the purchase and arrival draws near. I just want to ask again: the amp in the HU will not blow because of the Bose speakers, correct?

Old 11-15-2004, 05:32 AM

Thanks Don.. I might be calling you as the purchase and arrival draws near. I just want to ask again: the amp in the HU will not blow because of the Bose speakers, correct?
If doing it the way I said in post 49, then no it will not as the HUs internal amp isnt even used.

--Don
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
LithiuMax

If doing it the way I said in post 49, then no it will not as the HUs internal amp isnt even used.

--Don
Hmm, I didn't realize that. The headunit I'm looking at has pretty good internal power, so I wanted to utilize it for the time being before I got all new speakers and such. What powers the speakers when you do it your war - the stock Bose amps connected to each speakers?

Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 AM

Hmm, I didn't realize that. The headunit I'm looking at has pretty good internal power, so I wanted to utilize it for the time being before I got all new speakers and such. What powers the speakers when you do it your war - the stock Bose amps connected to each speakers?
Yes the Bose amps are still used. The Bose HU itself doesnt provide Any power whatsoever, it is simple a low voltage signal to the amps. When replacing it, depending on the output of the HU you are using it could only benefit.

--Don
Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 AM
LithiuMax

Yes the Bose amps are still used. The Bose HU itself doesnt provide Any power whatsoever, it is simple a low voltage signal to the amps. When replacing it, depending on the output of the HU you are using it could only benefit.

--Don
I see.. that's good. I hope this new setup will sound better, even though all I am replacing is the stock headunit (for now). It should, right?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:31 AM

I see.. that's good. I hope this new setup will sound better, even though all I am replacing is the stock headunit (for now). It should, right?
yes sir. youll be happy in the end and will have saved money
Old 11-15-2004, 10:40 AM
LithiuMax

yes sir. youll be happy in the end and will have saved money
Thanks a lot, Don..

Old 11-15-2004, 12:02 PM

The sound will SUCK using stock Bose speakers. I was running that setup for a month and it pissed me off. I had absolutely no bass whatsoever. The reason I went back to Don so soon even when I wasn't ready to upgrade speakers!!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:28 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by MacAlert
The sound will SUCK using stock Bose speakers. I was running that setup for a month and it pissed me off. I had absolutely no bass whatsoever. The reason I went back to Don so soon even when I wasn't ready to upgrade speakers!!
I have a sub for bass.. kekekek

Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Hope it's not the Blose sub cause that frankly Blows.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:23 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Hope it's not the Blose sub cause that frankly Blows.
Kicker L515 being fed 1000 watts RMS.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but found this thread very useful. I just bought a '99 i30t last week and I'm looking to upgrade the Head unit. My stereo is Bose so I'm guessing that means I have the Bose amp? If so, where is the Bose amp located?

I don't want to replace my speakers or amp and I'm noticing that I'll have to buy the adapter for $60 to hook up an aftermarket Head Unit. However I've come accross the Scosche OEA-4 that's only about $15 at http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sisoea4.html
This sells for $50 on Crutchfield.com.

Would this work the exact same as the ROEM-NIS2? I guess if it does I'd only have to buy the Scosche OEA-4 and the Scosche wiring harness. Also would anyone here recommend an install kit with the pocket underneath? If so where can I find one with the pocket. I was also thinking of getting a double-din MP3 receiver, but there don't seem to be too many out there to choose from. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Greetings! I finally decided to replace my Bose HU with a Pioneer DEH-P4700MP HU. I used the PAC-ROEM Nis2 kit. Everything worked to my amazement but I did notice that the rear speakers sounded very low and I had to fade to level 11 (max is fad: 15) to get a reasonable volume. I also noticed that I do not start getting any volume until I reach level 40 on my Pioneer volume control. Anybody experienced that too? Is there a way to fix this?

Can someone also tell me where to connect the antenna power wire from the PAC to the headunit? Do I connect it to the blue/white wire? The antenna does not go up at all.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:06 AM

Alternative Method Of Installing Aftermarket Radio In Place Of Bose...

I've been reading the bose threads for quite some time and I'm surprised as heck why you guys would pay 50 bucks for the Pac ROEM-NIS2 adapter.

I sure don't consider myself the sound expert by any means, in fact this is my first h/u install, ever....

(Edit: 05-07-2005....READ REMAINDER OF THREAD, DO NOT USE METHOD BELOW)

Anyways I just purchased the crappiest NISSAN adapter that was like 84up Nissan (the one that they would recommend had you had a regular radio). I hooked everything up and plugged it in and no sound out of speakers, however radio worked. So, I looked in the repair manual and the "Bose Amp-Power on" is the green/white cable going into one of the 2 harnesses you need for the install (the small one you don't use unless your grounding the brown/white cable so you don't loose your Trip functions)...So I took a wire and ran it from the green/white to the amp power on (blue/white) coming out of the new connector. Works perfect, speakers sound better all is clear and everything works fine except my dimmer but thats another thread...
Old 05-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AdamK
I've been reading the bose threads for quite some time and I'm surprised as heck why you guys would pay 50 bucks for the Pac ROEM-NIS2 adapter.

I sure don't consider myself the sound expert by any means, in fact this is my first h/u install, ever....

Anyways I just purchased the crappiest NISSAN adapter that was like 84up Nissan (the one that they would recommend had you had a regular radio). I hooked everything up and plugged it in and no sound out of speakers, however radio worked. So, I looked in the repair manual and the "Bose Amp-Power on" is the green/white cable going into one of the 2 harnesses you need for the install (the small one you don't use unless your grounding the brown/white cable so you don't loose your Trip functions)...So I took a wire and ran it from the green/white to the amp power on (blue/white) coming out of the new connector. Works perfect, speakers sound better all is clear and everything works fine except my dimmer but thats another thread...
Thats all well and good until both your HU and Blose amp completely blow. Your feeding power where a signal should be. Not a great idea. You read about people using the harness, did you read about the people that used your method and fried their radios?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Thats all well and good until both your HU and Blose amp completely blow. Your feeding power where a signal should be. Not a great idea. You read about people using the harness, did you read about the people that used your method and fried their radios?
this I did not know...I actually ordered the pac unit and was going to return it...thanks for letting me know, seemed like all was well, the installer even recommended doing this when I went to the shop? (better edit my above post before someone makes the same mistake as myself)
Old 05-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AdamK
this I did not know...I actually ordered the pac unit and was going to return it...thanks for letting me know, seemed like all was well, the installer even recommended doing this when I went to the shop? (better edit my above post before someone makes the same mistake as myself)
It can however still be done without using the PAC unit or any other modules. Simple get a Metra 70-7551, or 70-7500. With the 7500 simply splice female RCA leads onto the speaker leads, then connect to the preouts of your aftermarket HU. Youll end up simulating what the Blose does...just sending a signal.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 PM

It can however still be done without using the PAC unit or any other modules. Simple get a Metra 70-7551, or 70-7500. With the 7500 simply splice female RCA leads onto the speaker leads, then connect to the preouts of your aftermarket HU. Youll end up simulating what the Blose does...just sending a signal.
well I already ordered the pac kit just didn't feel like waiting for it so I started messing around, think it should be good for a week?

like I said the guy at the car stereo store said thats what they do so I'm assuming theres a lot of maximas/pathfinders out there running just like that.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by danicus007
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but found this thread very useful. I just bought a '99 i30t last week and I'm looking to upgrade the Head unit. My stereo is Bose so I'm guessing that means I have the Bose amp? If so, where is the Bose amp located?

I don't want to replace my speakers or amp and I'm noticing that I'll have to buy the adapter for $60 to hook up an aftermarket Head Unit. However I've come accross the Scosche OEA-4 that's only about $15 at http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sisoea4.html
This sells for $50 on Crutchfield.com.

Would this work the exact same as the ROEM-NIS2? I guess if it does I'd only have to buy the Scosche OEA-4 and the Scosche wiring harness. Also would anyone here recommend an install kit with the pocket underneath? If so where can I find one with the pocket. I was also thinking of getting a double-din MP3 receiver, but there don't seem to be too many out there to choose from. Thanks for any advice.

Hi! I know this was an old post... but just for future Owners....
I recently bought a 98 Maxima.. and replaced my BOSE Head unit with a pioneer. I used the Scosche OEA-4 with a stock Nissan harness and ran signal into the Bose amps (which ar PART of my speakers.. .there are 4 seperate amps!)
I put a single 10" in the trunk, and everything is working RAD for a couple weeks now!

I'll let you know if it fries.....though I had a 96 Pathfinder that ran full power into its booster amp for 3 years. Sounded like ****, but didn't die.

thanks for everything..you guys rock!

xox

ps... my max.. and every nissan Ive ever had.. uses a universal single-din pocket. No trim kits or anything required... in fact, they usually wont fit!

xo
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by camn
Hi! I know this was an old post... but just for future Owners....
I recently bought a 98 Maxima.. and replaced my BOSE Head unit with a pioneer. I used the Scosche OEA-4 with a stock Nissan harness and ran signal into the Bose amps (which ar PART of my speakers.. .there are 4 seperate amps!)
I put a single 10" in the trunk, and everything is working RAD for a couple weeks now!

I'll let you know if it fries.....though I had a 96 Pathfinder that ran full power into its booster amp for 3 years. Sounded like ****, but didn't die.

thanks for everything..you guys rock!

xox

ps... my max.. and every nissan Ive ever had.. uses a universal single-din pocket. No trim kits or anything required... in fact, they usually wont fit!

xo
Thanks for the hugs and kisses......................................
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I know this is an old thread, but the Bose CD player in my 96 Infiniti I-30t HU stopped working. The Circuit City install guys said they could hook a new HU up with no problem, just the cost of a new HU and about $40-50 for parts. He says he does it all the time with Maximas. Does this sound right?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:34 PM

ok guys i'm TOTALLY LOST. I've been researching online for the part ya'll were talking about. I got the link to get PAC's ROEM-NIS2 kit and i also found two items at crutchfield.com PAC OEM-2 Universal Interface item # 127OEM2 and Scosche OEM Amplifier Adapter item #142C4NN03. Now i'm not installing this, best buy is. I'd rather buy from crutchfield if possible. I wanted to know if the Pac OEM-2 universal interface is the same thing or preform the same function as the ROEM-NIS2. or is it the amplifier adaptor that i need to get. Like i said i'm not installing this, so if they are the same and the Nis2 is just a plug and play version of OEM-2 let me know so i can order it!

Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Oh btw if this helps any I want to keep my stock bose speakers and am replacing the SH*TY bose HU with a sony because it freaking died on me.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:52 PM

Rusty, let me know how it goes because I have $115 in Best Buy Reward Zone coupons I have to use by August. The CD player died in my Bose HU.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:29 PM

Okay, Rusty... I just went to Best Buy and they said I would have to replace all the speakers, too. The guy said a new HU would blow my Bose speakers in a month.

I mentioned the converter thing to him, and he said they didn't have them.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Taxvictim
Okay, Rusty... I just went to Best Buy and they said I would have to replace all the speakers, too. The guy said a new HU would blow my Bose speakers in a month.

I mentioned the converter thing to him, and he said they didn't have them.

Tell them to just use Metra P/N: 70-7551
Old 05-20-2005, 05:50 AM

Thanks, I'll ask them about that part number.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:40 AM

I think they would've known about that part after going to them on 3 different occasions but i'll ask :-)
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM

btw what is a metra 70-7551?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rustyram02
btw what is a metra 70-7551?
Blose interface harness. Thats Metras P/N for it, but BB has its own P/Ns for Metra products. They should easily be able to cross reference it
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Do the job yourself, Taxvictim! It is easy, easy, easy... if you can get the screws out, that is!

xo

Quick Reply: Bose HU is removed, Kenwood HU is installed