Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Components into non bose 2k

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:32 AM

Components into non bose 2k

I'm trying to replace my speakers with a set of components, for the front at least and maybe the back. So I have a few questions. What guage wire should I use with my amp? Its a 400.4 Rockford I think, I think it has 50W RMS x Channel. Anyways, I was looking at JBL GTO605C(6.5 midbass 1" tweeter). They're rated at 90W RMS. What do you guys think of these speakers if any have heard them?

How should I run the wire, the amp is on the back of the rear seats right now. Where would be a good place to put the x-over's? Do they need to be, or would it be beneficial to place them close to the speakers?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
Old 03-25-2003, 09:45 AM

Re: Components into non bose 2k

Originally posted by booboo13
I'm trying to replace my speakers with a set of components, for the front at least and maybe the back. So I have a few questions. What guage wire should I use with my amp? Its a 400.4 Rockford I think, I think it has 50W RMS x Channel. Anyways, I was looking at JBL GTO605C(6.5 midbass 1" tweeter). They're rated at 90W RMS. What do you guys think of these speakers if any have heard them?

How should I run the wire, the amp is on the back of the rear seats right now. Where would be a good place to put the x-over's? Do they need to be, or would it be beneficial to place them close to the speakers?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
I would use a minimum of 8 Guage wire for your amp. If you have a desire to add another amp in the future, I might do 4 guage. JBLs are pretty good speakes IMO. Running the wire is a pain in the butt, there is a writeup on how to run it down the drivers side to the trunk. For the crossovers, you might be able to fit them behind the kick panels.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:04 AM

Guage

I'm sorry, I didn't explain very carefully. I meant the speaker wire. My system is completely ghetto right now for the wire running to the speakers. I have the amp wires run all the way to the console, and I just hooked up to the factory wiring like u would hook it up to the head-unit. So I want to do this more professionally.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:04 AM

Re: Guage

Originally posted by booboo13
I'm sorry, I didn't explain very carefully. I meant the speaker wire. My system is completely ghetto right now for the wire running to the speakers. I have the amp wires run all the way to the console, and I just hooked up to the factory wiring like u would hook it up to the head-unit. So I want to do this more professionally.
I ran 14 gauge to the x-overs in the kick panels and then 16 from the x-over to the components. That's plenty.

Here's more of my install pics

You're biggest pain will be getting the speaker wire into the door. I drilled a hole from the inside right below the factory boot and put a grommet in there.