Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sirius antenna inside the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Sirius antenna inside the car

Has anyone tried mounting their sirius antenna in the back window? I know they strongly reccommned doing it but the thing is ugly and a theft magnet. I'm just wondering if it works well or not, I know people who have mounted their XM antennas in the rear window and work fine...
Old 04-03-2003, 01:40 PM
mb1

I just left mine on the rear deck. Works fine.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Pics on page 4 of the homepage
<----------------------------
Old 04-03-2003, 02:20 PM

It works fine.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine worked great on the rear deck going down the interstate but I drive on too many windy, tree covered roads on the sides of hills where I kept losing reception. My window tint MAY have had something to do with this too but it is 3M so it shouldn't have any metal pigments in it. I eventually bought the Terk antenna and put it on the top of the car. I would let you know how much reception improved but I accidently ripped some wires off of my AUX adapter and my FM modulator worked for 5 min and died. Someday I will get it working again but for now I am back to FM.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:24 AM

Re: Sirius antenna inside the car

Originally posted by Menace
Has anyone tried mounting their sirius antenna in the back window? I know they strongly reccommned doing it but the thing is ugly and a theft magnet. I'm just wondering if it works well or not, I know people who have mounted their XM antennas in the rear window and work fine...
I have mine on the rear deck and my reception has been fine.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:42 PM

I'm assuming all you don't have tinted windows in back. I've heard it weakens the signal.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:56 PM

Re: Sirius antenna inside the car

Why does everybody think because you have a Sirius Antenna on your car, then suddenly, just because of the antenna, your car is a "theft magnet"? I drive in the hood everyday in the bay area. 1.People don't what the antenna is 2. They assume it is something high-tech and anyone with high-tech equipment is gonna have it secured, and 3.Do you know how much of a ***** it is to remove the antenna, reciever, and modulator. Don't flatter yourself and think someone is going to steal your whole car for sattlelite radio. Just mount it on the top of the car like I did, and have no reception problems in the future.
I'll let you know if my car gets jacked for the sirius antenna.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:02 PM

Who would want the antenna when it's butt ugly?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:48 AM

It's not the @#$%*&@ antenna I'm worried about, or the POS Sirius radio I got for free, Its the amps, subs, decks, components, busted windows, busted dash, and broken locks I'm concerned with. I want to be as stealth as possible. My car has been broken into 7 times in 3 years. They won't want the Sirius radio it's like stealing a cell phone, they want the other stuff, and when they see that big *** antenna on your car they might want to stop and take a look inside to see what else you have. Then they steal your expensive **** and bust up your car. That's what I'm worried about. I live in a city full of tweakers and crack fiends, it's not the projects but it's full of thieves, it aint the suburbs either. They don't give a **** they'll steal anything so I don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I have to. Living in the hood like you say you do you should know that.

By the way I put it in the back window and it does seem to cut out a bit and there seems to be some static (might be caused by the rear window defrost).
Old 04-09-2003, 11:55 AM

sirius antenna

It's not the @#$%*&@ antenna I'm worried about, or the POS Sirius radio I got for free, Its the amps, subs, decks, components, busted windows, busted dash, and broken locks I'm concerned with. I want to be as stealth as possible. My car has been broken into 7 times in 3 years. They won't want the Sirius radio it's like stealing a cell phone, they want the other stuff, and when they see that big *** antenna on your car they might want to stop and take a look inside to see what else you have. Then they steal your expensive **** and bust up your car. That's what I'm worried about. I live in a city full of tweakers and crack fiends, it's not the projects but it's full of thieves, it aint the suburbs either. They don't give a **** they'll steal anything so I don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I have to. Living in the hood like you say you do you should know that.

By the way I put it in the back window and it does seem to cut out a bit and there seems to be some static (might be caused by the rear window defrost).
I hear you. But I see XM and Sirius antennas on bland Ford Taurus' and other stock vehicles. The only reason I notice these things is because I, myself have satellite radio. Otherwise I wouldn't notice the antennas. Basically, getting the best, most crisp sound quality will come with mounting the antenna as suggested by Sirius themselves. The sound quality highly overrides the security factor, at least for me personnaly, otherwise, why get Sirius if your not going to get the most out of it? As far as the antenna being ugly, my car is black, the antenna is black, and not one person has commented to me that it looks shi**y. As a matter of fact everyone thinks it's high-tech looking, and when they get in the car and experience satellite radio, they rarely are thinking of how the antenna "looks." In the end it's your car, and obviously you know the risks, being jacked 7 times would leave me with all sorts of concerns.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 PM

Who want's to mess up their paint job or feed it through the back window molding in their car. I have an XM antenna that works good in the rear deck. They have glass mount antennas but the rear window doesn't have much glass that doesn't have wires or tint in it. I wouldn't have XM radio if it meant having an outside antenna.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by jonbth
Who want's to mess up their paint job or drill a hole in their car. I have an XM antenna that works good in the rear deck. They have glass mount antennas but the rear window doesn't have much glass that doesn't have wires or tint in it. I wouldn't have XM radio if it meant having an outside antenna.
Who drills a hole in the car for an antena?