Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

component/kickpanel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

component/kickpanel question

i couldn't really find a straight answer by searching, so i'll just post and hope for one.

i've got a set of mtx components mounted up front with mb quart 3-way crossovers. i had originally talked with the shop installing them about making custom units. however, the day of the install, i was more in a hurry than i should've been. so after talking over costs, etc, they decided a good option would be to drill out a hole in the bigger side (facing the pedals) and mount the 5 ¼ mid there, with the tweeter mounted in the stock kickpanel as well, facing forward. i've got the woofers mounted in the stock positions in the doors.

well, my midrange pretty much sucks. i was expecting that with having a mid/woofer setup, they'd be stronger than what they are. i've read before it's better to have your components mounted on a more solid surface such as mdf. the shop however told me that those were mounted fine and that they probably wouldn't be sounding any better. any advice please on getting better sound? i'm about to install an amp for my highs, and in the process would also like to improve the sound otherwise if possible/needed. thanks!!

btw, sorry for the overdrawn story
Old 04-04-2003, 05:28 AM
Jedi Knight

well it seems like the speakers aren't even aimed properly...when kick panels are built/designed...they should all be aimed at the driver...that is what is going to get you the best sound...that might be your problem, that they are not aimed properly. They won't sound great if you just throw them in, like it seems you did, so you need them to be redone.

hope that helps
Old 04-04-2003, 06:48 AM

Re: component/kickpanel question

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
i couldn't really find a straight answer by searching, so i'll just post and hope for one.

i've got a set of mtx components mounted up front with mb quart 3-way crossovers. i had originally talked with the shop installing them about making custom units. however, the day of the install, i was more in a hurry than i should've been. so after talking over costs, etc, they decided a good option would be to drill out a hole in the bigger side (facing the pedals) and mount the 5 ¼ mid there, with the tweeter mounted in the stock kickpanel as well, facing forward. i've got the woofers mounted in the stock positions in the doors.

well, my midrange pretty much sucks. i was expecting that with having a mid/woofer setup, they'd be stronger than what they are. i've read before it's better to have your components mounted on a more solid surface such as mdf. the shop however told me that those were mounted fine and that they probably wouldn't be sounding any better. any advice please on getting better sound? i'm about to install an amp for my highs, and in the process would also like to improve the sound otherwise if possible/needed. thanks!!

btw, sorry for the overdrawn story
I agree with Nupe. The mid's need to be aimed at you, they can't just be aiming into the center console. If you can sacrifice the foot space, get a custom kick panel made to better aim the mids. Also when you redo it, put the tweaters up higher; top of the door or in the A-pillar.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: component/kickpanel question

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I agree with Nupe. The mid's need to be aimed at you, they can't just be aiming into the center console. If you can sacrifice the foot space, get a custom kick panel made to better aim the mids. Also when you redo it, put the tweaters up higher; top of the door or in the A-pillar.
I actually think that you can leave the tweeters down near the mids...I didn't always until I tried it...and you'll notice that if you move them up...or if they are more than 1foot apart..that the highs will hit your ears faster than the mids...an imaging issue now arises...so if you have the space keep them all in the same relative location, aimed properly...
Old 04-04-2003, 07:37 AM
jmax

I agree with nupe500. Get the drivers properly aimed. Even altering the angle on the midbass in the door could make an improvement. But you may want to only alter the angle on the drivers side as the passengers side sound wave has no trouble getting to the driver.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:31 AM

well, i thought about making some custom kickpanels that are better suited for good imaging. only thing is, i'm not exactly top notch with fiberglass. actually, i have no experience with it at all. i'm sure i could have a shop do it, but they'd charge 200-250 at least when i'm sure it's half the price at best to do it myself. anyone have any pointers? even better, has anyone made custom kickpanels in their max before? it'd be nice to have a picture as reference to go by at least.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 AM

Here you go my man!! Good tutorial on how to make some custom kick panels. I have heard these in the car and it sounds great! Very nice imaging. Let me know if you need any more info!!

http://www.wes.nissanpower.com/photo.html
Old 04-04-2003, 10:57 AM

thanks for the link. that's actually a reallllly good pictoral. now i'm just gonna have to make a trip to home depot or lowe's to buy the supplies. any ideas on how much of the bondo and fiberglass i'll need to pick up?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:35 AM

That I'm not too sure about. I would just get a bunch and go from there. You could always use any extra for some fun stuff in the trunk!!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:07 PM
jmax

I would start out with a quart of bondo and some glass and some fleece. Practice mixing up some of the bondo. Do this in a place where there is nothing that can get damaged. Always mask everything. Then put down another two layers. Actually bondo isn't as sticky or penetrating as better resins. Get a good respirator too, and always have a few doors and windows ajar.

Check out the forum at fiberglast:
http://fiberglast.com/
And the two below are always handy:
http://elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=20
http://momentum.soundillusions.net/august02/

Old 04-09-2003, 08:06 PM

okay, i went to the local home depot today. picked up a big thing of fiberglass resin and a smaller canister of bondo/"fiberglass re-enforcment", masking tape too. now, what kinda of fleece and speaker cloth looking stuff do i buy to spread over like in the link the Dustyroads posted? i'm talking about the stuff that you spread over the top. also, was that 3/4" MDF he was using? thanks for the help. i've only got a few of the components for this install and i'm already getting giddy about the project
Old 04-09-2003, 08:28 PM
jmax

MDF is the most common baffle material because it is one of the best on a dollar for worth ratio. I have read that a better bond to the mdf may be had by useing a good wood sealer. I would take that advise because I have personal experience with bondo not bonding well to untreated wood. If using epoxy resin there are good epoxy sealers available. For the fabric go to a fabric store or walmart and get a cheap absorbent fabric. You don't need much as it's the glass that supplies the strength in the composite. You might want to pick up some generic pam to spray over your aluminum foil / masking tape mold. The cured resin will peel right off with a lubricant or wax coating. Heck, car wax would probably work.

If you have not already, definitely check the links I posted. Some will be repetition. But the rest you will be happier to know beforehand.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:11 PM

okay, i've been reading through those links. my other question is about the midbass in the doors. i know b15 sentras have made some sort of mdf baffle in their stock positions to get better sound. anything i can do also? thanks..
Old 04-10-2003, 10:07 PM
jmax

Most who install new door speakers replace the plastic baffle with one made of MDF. Anything can be done to the car. It's just a matter of what you are willing to do to achieve the results you desire.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:57 PM

is replacing that baffle a difficult process? any write-ups on it? thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 11:34 PM
jmax

No, not difficult. Remove the plastic baffle from the car. Set on top of a piece of MDF adn trace the pattern. Cut the wood. Drill holes for mounting the baffle. Cut out a hole for the speaker and drill screw holes for the speaker. Attach to car, attach speaker wires. Many also seal it to the door with either sound dampening material or silicone.