Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replacing 02-03 Bose speakers with aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM

Replacing 02-03 Bose speakers with aftermarket

For those of you who replaced your 02-03 Bose speakers with aftermarkets, how did you:

Wire up the system. Did you run wire into the door, or did you splice the factory harness (using harness adapters, etc) and bypass the Bose amp? Also, how did you connect the components in the front doors to the tweeters in the A-pillars?

I've picked up some Infinity 605cs for the fronts and some 505s for the rear doors. Just looking for advice from those who have already done it. My HU has already been replaced with a Kenwood, so the Bose HU is gone, but the amp/speakers are still there. The Kenwood HU will drive the speakers until I can get the amp I want for them.

And for those who ask... none of my Bose setup is for sale at this time.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:48 PM

Re: Replacing 02-03 Bose speakers with aftermarket

Originally posted by studman
For those of you who replaced your 02-03 Bose speakers with aftermarkets, how did you:

Wire up the system. Did you run wire into the door, or did you splice the factory harness (using harness adapters, etc) and bypass the Bose amp? Also, how did you connect the components in the front doors to the tweeters in the A-pillars?

I've picked up some Infinity 605cs for the fronts and some 505s for the rear doors. Just looking for advice from those who have already done it. My HU has already been replaced with a Kenwood, so the Bose HU is gone, but the amp/speakers are still there. The Kenwood HU will drive the speakers until I can get the amp I want for them.

And for those who ask... none of my Bose setup is for sale at this time.
I haven't done it yet... but the Bose Speakers are 2ohm (or less, I actually couldn't even get a reading with my ohm-meter) Aftermarket speakers are 4ohm. It's not recommended to set it up this way. You probably want to complete an amp install while you're at it. I believe SOUNDMIKE did it the way you want... then he ended up buying an amp...

G
Old 04-13-2003, 08:47 AM

If im correct, the Bose amp on the 01-03's is up on the rear deck lid in the trunk on the passanger side. There will be two plugs going into the amp, one is your input side and the other is the output to your speakers.

1) plug in your 95+ wiring hanress, trace each speaker lead back into the stock harness and write down which pair of wires is for each speaker including polarity. The leads that your identifying are "inputs" going into your Bose amp in the rear in one of the two plugs.

2) go to the Bose amp, find these leads in either one of the plugs coming off the Bose amp to determine which plug is your "input" and which is your "output"

3) now at each speaker look at what color wire leading to the speaker and find those wires in the other plug at the bose amp. That plug will be the "output" from the Bose amp. Also note, you can buy speaker harnes's from BestBuy for $5.99 per pair to make connection to your new speaker plug n' play.

4) make up x4 4inch jumpers using 18 gauge speaker wire and begin jumping the leads from the "input harness" to the "output harness" making sure your aware of polarity and speaker positions. DO NOT plug these harness's back into the Bose amp!

5) wire up your new radio's wiring harness to the 95+ Nissan adapter you bought. Do Not wire up the "amp turn-on lead"(blue/white) or the "amp ground"(black/white)

6) YOUR DONE. enjoy your new system.

the stock tweeter leads are intergrated into the front speakers leads already, so no need to worry about running wires to the stock A pillars.

Ant
Old 04-13-2003, 09:48 AM

If you are powering the system off the HU, then ny96max's way will definitely work.

NOTE: You will need a total of 6 speaker harnesses... 2 for the rears, 2 for the fronts, and 2 for the tweeters.

If you are not powering the system off the HU, then you have many options available to you depending on the HU:

1) If the HU has RCA outpus, then wire those to the amps. Use the passenger's side to run the RCAs if you place the amps in the trunk.

2) If the HU doesn't have RCAs, then you can use a line-level adapter. You can place it behind the HU, or at the input wires to the Bose system. Then you can run RCAs into your amps. Do NOT plug the Bose connector back into the Bose amp if you use this method.

3) If you don't want to use a line-level adapter, you can run speaker-level into your amp (assuming the amp will accept it). You have the same options as the 2nd choice. Either run wire down the passenger's side or tap the Bose amp inputs. Do NOT plug the Bose connector back into the Bose amp if you use this method.

The methods are listed in the order in which you should choose them. Try method 1 first, 2 second, and 3 last.

As for the tweeters, if your front speakers are components, you will have to run new wire between the front doors and the A pillars. This is because the "split" of the front speaker signal takes place behind the dashboard in the main cabin. There is not a set of wires coming FROM the door speaker TO the tweeter. Bose just installed a filtering circuit on the tweeter to avoid blowing it. They also used 4 ohm tweeters so as not to overpower them.

Hopefully this will help.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:46 PM
ABS

Moderators Please Read

If this thread is not already in the FAQ, please add it or make it a sticky. Thanks!