Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Possibly need bigger battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:50 AM

Possibly need bigger battery?

When I have my stereo turned up fairly loud the display on my reciever dims in and out slightly. Also if I the stereo on for 20 minutes my battery will die. The battery is only 5 months old but i didnt have enough money to purchasse the best one its only generic. so do you think i need a better battery or no? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:39 PM

Re: Possibly need bigger battery?

Originally posted by maximum3rdgen
When I have my stereo turned up fairly loud the display on my reciever dims in and out slightly. Also if I the stereo on for 20 minutes my battery will die. The battery is only 5 months old but i didnt have enough money to purchasse the best one its only generic. so do you think i need a better battery or no? Thanks!
playing the radio without the engine running isnt so great. u can replace ur battery and it might last a lil bit longer with the engine off, but the best thing to do is to add a capacitor
Old 04-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Re: Possibly need bigger battery?

playing the radio without the engine running isnt so great. u can replace ur battery and it might last a lil bit longer with the engine off, but the best thing to do is to add a capacitor

by the way, is there an amp in this setup? if so get a stiffening capacitor, if not u can add a small capacitor to the 12V accessory lead going to the head unit...such as a 50,000 micro farad or something like that
Old 04-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Possibly need bigger battery?

Originally posted by friendhasmax

your battery will always die with the car off and the music on, the question is how long before it does so? a new battery like an optima yellowtop or a stinger dry cell will let you play your music for much longer without the car on. but if your problem is your display is dimming, then you need a capacitor. a capacitor will only last as long as the battery, so you may need to get both. it depends if you're doing comps or not.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Possibly need bigger battery?

Originally posted by InfamousOrange

your battery will always die with the car off and the music on, the question is how long before it does so? a new battery like an optima yellowtop or a stinger dry cell will let you play your music for much longer without the car on. but if your problem is your display is dimming, then you need a capacitor. a capacitor will only last as long as the battery, so you may need to get both. it depends if you're doing comps or not.

the cap will last as long as the battery if the engine is off, but with the engine running the cap will stay charged from the alternator
Old 04-09-2003, 07:36 PM

the wierd thing is im not using amps or anything....yet so i didnt think it would draw that much power. anyone know a good place to get an optima yellow top? lol...thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 08:07 PM

the wierd thing is im not using amps or anything....yet so i didnt think it would draw that much power. anyone know a good place to get an optima yellow top? lol...thanks

in that casse....OH.. lol