Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

5th Gen Door Speaker Wire Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5th Gen Door Speaker Wire Help!

Could someone please provide a procedure on how to run new speaker wires from the doors to the cabin of the Maxima using the existing groumet?

I have a 2003 Max SE. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 AM

Re: 5th Gen Door Speaker Wire Help!

Originally posted by Dohcser
Could someone please provide a procedure on how to run new speaker wires from the doors to the cabin of the Maxima using the existing groumet?

I have a 2003 Max SE. Thanks!
Haha, have fun. Do yourself a favor and just drill a new hole, put in a grommet and then punch a hole in the boot on the door. You can sit there and take that bolt off and pull out the wire harness that goes into the car, but you'll never get anything through there.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: 5th Gen Door Speaker Wire Help!

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Haha, have fun. Do yourself a favor and just drill a new hole, put in a grommet and then punch a hole in the boot on the door. You can sit there and take that bolt off and pull out the wire harness that goes into the car, but you'll never get anything through there.
Damn, just what I didn't want to hear.
PearlMax96 told me the same thing (not that I am second guessing him).
But I could have swear that I read about a member that had a procedure for this. Guess not
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 AM

Now does that mean that I have to take the door's off, to drill a hole?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Dohcser
Now does that mean that I have to take the door's off, to drill a hole?
No, go spend 5$ on a really long drill bit. Drill from the inside of the car out, right below the existing boot. It's tricky, but you can do it. Run the bit in and out to clean the edge as best you can and then put in the grommet. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of that part.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:38 AM

You can't use the factory grommet mainly because the connectors are sealed. There are also not any extra pins already inserted into the connector. Your best bet is to run your own wire into the door.

If you remove the driver's kick panel, then remove a black sticky-tape pad on the side wall, there are 2 screws. Remove them and 2 relays attached to a bracket will come out of the hole. Insert your drill there and drill from the cabin to the outside. That'll get you from the main cabin outside.

On the door, punch a small hole in the rubber boot where the factory wires enter the door. Insert your wire through here. Make sure to leave some slack in between the main cabin and the door, as the wire will move when the door is moved. Plug both holes with rubber grommets and finish wiring.

Also, if you can find it, get a piece of flexible plastic protective sheathing. Circuit City's install shop has it. It covers the wire that's exposed so that no elements damage the wire itself.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by studman
You can't use the factory grommet mainly because the connectors are sealed. There are also not any extra pins already inserted into the connector. Your best bet is to run your own wire into the door.

If you remove the driver's kick panel, then remove a black sticky-tape pad on the side wall, there are 2 screws. Remove them and 2 relays attached to a bracket will come out of the hole. Insert your drill there and drill from the cabin to the outside. That'll get you from the main cabin outside.

On the door, punch a small hole in the rubber boot where the factory wires enter the door. Insert your wire through here. Make sure to leave some slack in between the main cabin and the door, as the wire will move when the door is moved. Plug both holes with rubber grommets and finish wiring.

Also, if you can find it, get a piece of flexible plastic protective sheathing. Circuit City's install shop has it. It covers the wire that's exposed so that no elements damage the wire itself.
STUDMAN thank you for the details!!