Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

more questions about ICE

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

more questions about ICE

I've been wanting to get DVD/LCD in my car for awhile now
one thing I really don't understand is that is the "brain" necessary for the whole thing to work?

for example,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3024661840
does that little box on the right necessary for the whole thing to run properly?
thx
Old 05-15-2003, 10:29 PM

Re: more questions about ICE

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
I've been wanting to get DVD/LCD in my car for awhile now
one thing I really don't understand is that is the "brain" necessary for the whole thing to work?

for example,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3024661840
does that little box on the right necessary for the whole thing to run properly?
thx
Yup. With the addition of the motorized screen, there isn't enough room for everything in the receiver anymore. So they pull some of it out into what they call a "brain" to make room for the screen. Some manufacturers sell the brain separate; kinda shady if u ask me.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: more questions about ICE

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Yup. With the addition of the motorized screen, there isn't enough room for everything in the receiver anymore. So they pull some of it out into what they call a "brain" to make room for the screen. Some manufacturers sell the brain separate; kinda shady if u ask me.
thx for the quick reply
1 more question....so does that mean all motorized screen unit will need a brain unit? Or how can I know whether the hu i'm buying need a bran unit or not
thx
Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: more questions about ICE

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
thx for the quick reply
1 more question....so does that mean all motorized screen unit will need a brain unit? Or how can I know whether the hu i'm buying need a bran unit or not
thx
Well, not all really NEED a brain. For example, it might work as a stand alone screen/CD player, but you can't play DVD or receive fm/am radio without the brain. As far as I know, they pretty much all need the brain if you want all the features; but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The way I'm reading the Pioneer website about that combo you linked to on eBay, it appears that you would need a Pioneer IP-Bus head unit to control the AVX-P7300DVD if you didn't get the brain (AVM-P8000R). So you might not be able to do much of anything with just the AVX-P7300DVD because there is no receiver in it, just a DVD drive and a motorized screen; but no audio processors.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: more questions about ICE

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
The way I'm reading the Pioneer website about that combo you linked to on eBay, it appears that you would need a Pioneer IP-Bus head unit to control the AVX-P7300DVD if you didn't get the brain (AVM-P8000R). So you might not be able to do much of anything with just the AVX-P7300DVD because there is no receiver in it, just a DVD drive and a motorized screen; but no audio processors.
This is correct, I have this setup and without the p8000r brain you will not be able to do anything, all you will be able to do is look at a blue screen, no sound or video will be coming out. Also, I suggest the p9000r brain for the p7300dvd unit since it has dolby surround, and a couple of other nifty features.