Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where do I get plexiglass ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:26 AM
CFC

Where do I get plexiglass ... ?

Hey guys,

I'll be building a new amp rack for the car and I would like to go with a plexiglass top so that I may see the amps and such...
Where can one buy a sheet of plexiglass, and what is the expected cost? I'd be looking for probably a 1/4" to 3/4" thickness.
Thanks for info.

Carl
Old 05-27-2003, 08:12 AM

Re: Where do I get plexiglass ... ?

Originally posted by CFC
Hey guys,

I'll be building a new amp rack for the car and I would like to go with a plexiglass top so that I may see the amps and such...
Where can one buy a sheet of plexiglass, and what is the expected cost? I'd be looking for probably a 1/4" to 3/4" thickness.
Thanks for info.

Carl
Chase Pitken, Home Depot type places will have clear Plexi. If you want colored, you will have to check out the yellow pages for specialty shops.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i got 1/4" at home depot. I think thats the thickest they have. I used this for an amp rack as well, no complaints.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Sanduguero

selectproducts.com

enjoy the prices....is expensive!!! Home Depot dont carry the 3/4 nor lowes, not even the glass shops localy they have to order...good luck!

Playero
Old 05-29-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by playero
selectproducts.com

enjoy the prices....is expensive!!! Home Depot dont carry the 3/4 nor lowes, not even the glass shops localy they have to order...good luck!

Playero
I have to go with Playero on this one.. SP has just about everything an installer could dream for.. At most local places I have found LEXAN or some crap that scratches up and gets foggy at the first sign of heat.. It is hard to find true plexi.. but SP has it even in different colors..
Old 05-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

home depot/lowes...

Eric
Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 PM

ive bought plexy glass at a window store. they are sometimes hard to find but look in the yellow pages, itwas hella cheaper than home depot
Old 05-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Sanduguero

Originally posted by budsmatt
ive bought plexy glass at a window store. they are sometimes hard to find but look in the yellow pages, itwas hella cheaper than home depot

WAS It 3/4? because home depot said they dont carry that thick of a plexi...
Old 05-30-2003, 08:31 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Chitwista

I have to go with Playero on this one.. SP has just about everything an installer could dream for.. At most local places I have found LEXAN or some crap that scratches up and gets foggy at the first sign of heat.. It is hard to find true plexi.. but SP has it even in different colors..

Ummm, Lexan is more expensive due to its scratch resistance and the fact that it's bulletproof. I've never seen it fog up either ... it's actually better than plexi.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by playero

WAS It 3/4? because home depot said they dont carry that thick of a plexi...
Why do you need 3/4? 1/4 should be plenty for a window/amp rack cover. Unless you are putting a window in a box, then maybe 3/4 is a good idea.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Ummm, Lexan is more expensive due to its scratch resistance and the fact that it's bulletproof. I've never seen it fog up either ... it's actually better than plexi.
Thanks for your informative post.. I would be more then happy to mail you a small peice of the LEXAN that covered my amps and caps from my old installation (which will show scratches
and fog from the heat of my amps).. I am trying to figuere out how LEXAN is scratch resistant considering that my friend etched a Rockford Fosgate logo on the top of it.. Check out the site below for proof.. Now I am the one that is confused
Old 05-30-2003, 06:21 PM
MaximaFreak

Thanks for your informative post.. I would be more then happy to mail you a small peice of the LEXAN that covered my amps and caps from my old installation (which will show scratches
and fog from the heat of my amps).. I am trying to figuere out how LEXAN is scratch resistant considering that my friend etched a Rockford Fosgate logo on the top of it.. Check out the site below for proof.. Now I am the one that is confused
Why don't people read for content anymore. What I said was that it was scratch RESISTANT. It's not scratch-PROOF. Like the Panasonic portable phones or the Sony radios, they are water resistant, but if you immerse them in water they will break.

I'm sorry that this was misunderstood and that you feel so strongly about plastic products. I was simply informing you that Lexan is plexiglass, but better.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:25 PM

I have no idea how much plexiglass cost but try www.selectproducts.com it seems pricey but then again, i have no idea how much plexi normally costs.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Sanduguero

i wasn't able to see the sig but now i can...And i like your rims damn!!! good taste!
Old 06-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Sanduguero

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Why do you need 3/4? 1/4 should be plenty for a window/amp rack cover. Unless you are putting a window in a box, then maybe 3/4 is a good idea.

ok i share the same opinion for the box 3/4 for anything else 1/4
Old 06-02-2003, 10:53 AM

http://www.modernplastics.com/

They have a very large, large selection of all types of plastic resins
in sheets, rods, bars, or they will do custom work too. Plastics do get very expencive as you move up through common to engineered plastics.

And for the record Lexan trade named by G.E. is a polycarbonate used in medicial devices and yes bullit proof windows. If not coated or compounded with additives is very scratch prone. That's why it comes with protective coverings on both side to protect it during shipping and storage.
Just my 2 cents
Old 06-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Sanduguero

Originally posted by MaximaGold
http://www.modernplastics.com/

They have a very large, large selection of all types of plastic resins
in sheets, rods, bars, or they will do custom work too. Plastics do get very expencive as you move up through common to engineered plastics.

And for the record Lexan trade named by G.E. is a polycarbonate used in medicial devices and yes bullit proof windows. If not coated or compounded with additives is very scratch prone. That's why it comes with protective coverings on both side to protect it during shipping and storage.
Just my 2 cents

damn thats more like 3 cents!!