Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Got Most of my System...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 02:49 PM

Today I just went and baught the first part of my system. I am getting installation in a couple weeks when my dad gets back from a business trip so that I cna drop the car off. Here's waht I got and the prices.

Clarion DRX7675z CD Receiver Only $210 (20% off)
Eclipse 8393 6x9's (3 way) $150
MTX 4622 4x6's $100

Installation will be:

$70 for 4 speakers
$45 for the head unit
$15 for atenna adapter
$10 for wiring harness
$50 for amp installation (getting within the next 2 months)
$60 8 guage Lightning Audio amp kit (300 watt amp)
=====$270 total

I'm going back to get my 10% discount that i forget about (just for using 1-800-555-NEED to get their number!)

The guy said that bass blockers are bad and actually drain power for no reason and cut off signals the speakers should get and that instead just to turn bass to 0 on the speakers and turn it up on the sub-out.

When I get my amp I'll hook up that and my JBL sub's..Hopefully it will all sound good.

PJ
Old 01-27-2001, 03:20 PM

i'm in the same situation. this is my setup waiting to go in:

Pioneer DEH-1000 HU (old, i know...but it works) - $170 3 years ago
Kenwood 180 Watt Peak 3-way 6 1/2" s (front) - $160
Cerwin Vega 3-Way 6x9 (Rear) - $62
2 12" Jensen 375 Watt Peak Subs in sealed home made box - $50 for both

Clarion 400.4 50x4 RMS amp for 6.5's and 6x9's - $110
Jensen 125x2 RMS amp for subs - $ 94

i've read all the posts on how to run the power wire through the fire wall through the grommets, but
i have a few questions ...

i'll mount the Jensen amp in the trunk, but where do you run the power wire through the cab to the trunk to keep it hidden?

where should i mount the Clarion amp ?
where should i run the wires from the clarion to the speakers?

[Edited by The Sleeper on 01-27-2001 at 05:25 PM]
Old 01-27-2001, 08:02 PM

clarion amp

was it new? If so did you get it on ebay or something for that low low price? Tell me how yours sounds, I wihs I ahd the money for an amp for my speakers. As you cna see I don't know how to install, thats why I am paying for it!

PJ
Old 01-27-2001, 09:16 PM

install info

run the power cable, under the carpet near the doors. pull up the back seat and run the wires into the trunk. try to keep the wires under the foam pads that are under the seats(with other wires running in it).

if the amp is small enough you can put it under a seat. it is kinda a tight fit, you are better off putting it in the trunk.

make sure you run rca wires on the other side of the car from the power lead. speaker wires and the remote power out don't matter.

I have been working on a custom install on my pathfinder for the better part of three days now. take your time,leave yourself plenty of time. it is not that complicated, but time consuming.
Old 01-28-2001, 01:49 PM

my equip was all new except the 6.5's and my HU. i got thtem so cheap from a friend who works at best buy. my advise is go befriend an employee. all their car audio is marked up almost 90%. example: Cerwin Vega 6x9's sell for $139 and i got them for $62.

my specific question is how to get the power and rca wires from the drivers door sill to the rear door sill. from there, i know i can run them under plastic to the seats. anyone out there who has run an amp to their components?

thanks-
G
Old 01-28-2001, 08:40 PM

center pillar

has 1 screw, and snaps in. take it out. kinda a pia running around the seatbelt stuff, but itll go.
Old 01-28-2001, 11:16 PM

run RCA down the center of your car. so it won't draw electrical noise (engine noise) from the hot wires.
Old 01-28-2001, 11:32 PM

duud just install it yourself, its not that hard! 4 screws for the HU, and to get the cables to the back, the power wire for the amp is a *****, thats for sure but i ran it down the drivers side, put the wire through the firewall where the hoodrelease wire goes through, used a coat hanger and stuff. PITA!!! had to open up the wheel well cover and everything... but the rca's are no prob. just run em from behind the deck, under the glove box into the floor under the passenger side carpet to the back and under the seat into the trunk. no biggie, it took me a while cause it was my first time, but if i had to do the whoe process over again, it would take half the time. theres instructions everywhere on how DIY, plus the poepl on the board will help ya with q's... i dunno its up to you, but youll save 270 bucks towards a sub or something.... heres a couple pics of my stuff...

theres the amp power wire coming off the batter, with the inline fuse... goes around the battery and into the side fender wall
Old 01-30-2001, 12:59 PM

if I had someone here to help me...

I'd do it myself, but I know I'll mess it up if I try. The crutchfield guy says it's hard and reccomnds profession install...I tried to do the rear tailight thing and all I ahd to do was extend two wires and I ****ed it up and now I am missing one of the lights back there...Crutch said new speaker wires need to be run, but Car Toyz the place going to do the install) says they're just going to bypass the amps and use existing wires...Which is the right way?

PJ
Old 01-30-2001, 06:05 PM

hmmm.. not sure since i am still using stock speaker just with my sub hook up, i dont see why you cant use the stock wires, but while you have everything dismantled, why not run new wires right? i just bypasses my stock amp, wasnt a big deal, used 4 butt connectors. actually i screed that up tooo , connected a buttconnecter the the wrong end of the wire, connected it to the dead wire :P. so 3 butt connectors and one with electrical tape haha (ran outta connectors)

shoot im like that too though, anything i touch i seem to screw up, and im actually amazed that this hook up wetn through without a hitch my dad helped me with the remote wire lead and thats it its really not that bad... just time consuming took me a whole damn day. (1st time though )
Old 01-31-2001, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: if I had someone here to help me...

Originally posted by speednsound007
I'd do it myself, but I know I'll mess it up if I try. The crutchfield guy says it's hard and reccomnds profession install...I tried to do the rear tailight thing and all I ahd to do was extend two wires and I ****ed it up and now I am missing one of the lights back there...Crutch said new speaker wires need to be run, but Car Toyz the place going to do the install) says they're just going to bypass the amps and use existing wires...Which is the right way?

PJ
Well, the cruthfield guy is pulling your leg. This is only as hard as you want to make it. I used to manage a car stereo shop and I am very familiar with my max since I have installed a competition system in it.

If you any questioins with an install, e-mail me and I will help. There is no need to pay that much money for something you can do for yourself. You will take more pride in your ride and you can spend the extra money on a date or something like that.

You could trate your car to a tune up with the extra money. I am sure that she would appreciate you for it.

E-mail me with your questions. I will talk you through it.
Old 02-01-2001, 09:00 AM

Panasonic Head unit (new)$375
Pinoeer Digital EQ (new)$200
Planet Audio 5.25's in custom mount (new)$100 (discount)
PPI 6x9's (new)$70 (discount)
Phoenix Gold xs6600 (1 month old)$300!
Image Dynamics IDQ10 DVC's (new)$150for the pair (discount)

I've done all the work myself and it was really really easy. The subs aren't in yet because I'm still in the process of making my custom box. I'm gonna get some pictures up as soon as I get ahold of my granddad's digital camera. Look I'm only 17 and I've done all the maintenance work on my car and all the sound stuff. Use some common sense and problem solve to do the work yourself. YOu'll end up saving yourself a hell of a lot of money. Oh yeah rerouting some new speaker wires isn't too bad it took me about 3 hours one night to get my amp and speakers connected.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:01 PM

Aight, I'll tackle the install this weekend

I figure why not try it myself, I can always give up and take it in if it comes to that, and I got you guys to help me...thanks! What do I need, wiring harness for the receiver, and the antenna adapter for the receiver. Is using the stock wires for my speakers ok? Will this affect my sound at all? If it's ok, just bypass the bose amps (directions on how would be helpful) and plug the speaker wires into the new speakers? I don't need to worry about any electrical stuff or fuses with just doing the head unit and speakers right? I can't find the diagrams I saw before on how to dismantle dash (crutchfield insturctions scanned to someones website). If anyone has this pleas eigve me the link. Also, if I need to wire new speaker wire any instructions/diagrams for this will be helpful.
PJ

[Edited by speednsound007 on 02-01-2001 at 07:49 PM]