Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Will This Work???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 05:11 AM

Will This Work???

I plan on getting 2 e12A's and i want to use the recommended enclosure on the eD website.
I want to put 2 of those enclosures together to make one, which would make it a dual chamber enclosure. Here is are some pictures i put together using the ones provided on the eD website.

If i had someone build that for me, would that work? I plan on laying it on its back with the subs facing up. I would put it in the trunk of my 97 Maxima and lay it down vertically so that the side with the subs was under the rear deck so as to protect them a little better from anything hitting them. I am going to be using 1 12A before i get the second one, and it will be in a sealed 1.2cu.ft. enclosure from subzone. If i decide that one is enough than i will just use the one e12A in a ported enclosure. What do you guys think? Whatever setup i stay with is going to make a home here, in my soon to be second skinned trunk. Stripped it and sprayed it down with simple green yesterday.

-Jalal
Old 06-24-2003, 05:42 AM
jmax

Honestly I would alter the dimensions somewhat so that the boxes may lend end to end. That way they can fire to the back. Also I would make two seperate enclosures so that they could be completed more easilly and moved around more easilly. I'll play around with the dimensions in a couple hours or so. Sorry, forgot to ask how much power do you plan to use per sub?

Old 06-24-2003, 01:49 PM

I know that there are advantages in making 2 seperate boxes for the sake of moving them if i ever needed to. What is te advantage of having the subs facing away from eachother toward the wheel well? I would be powering them with either 2 Avionixx AXT 800.2's or a Tsunami DB1800... whatever i decide to do they would be getting about 800-900wRMS each. Thanks for the help man.
-Jalal
Old 06-25-2003, 04:53 AM
jmax

You can normally get a good reflection off the back of the trunk that is only slightly out of phase. It can give a good boost to the low frequencies. From my experience firing up from the trunk floor is not quite as loud as firing toward the back. Sorry I never got my tape measure in the trunk yesterday. I'll see what I can do today. By the way, do you have a router and a roundover bit? It could greatly decrease the required port length and mouth surface area.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by jmax
You can normally get a good reflection off the back of the trunk that is only slightly out of phase. It can give a good boost to the low frequencies. From my experience firing up from the trunk floor is not quite as loud as firing toward the back. Sorry I never got my tape measure in the trunk yesterday. I'll see what I can do today. By the way, do you have a router and a roundover bit? It could greatly decrease the required port length and mouth surface area.
The router and roundover bit is totally jibberish to me, and i know for a fact that i do not have one. If i get a ported enclosure, i am going to have it built by someone. I am considering a single e15A now since the space i want to keep is crucial, and a single 15 could get loud as hell in a ported enclosure, and sound just as nice as 2 12's.
-Jalal
Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 AM
jmax

The greatest thing about a 15 over a 12 is that it will move significantly more air with the same amp.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by jmax
The greatest thing about a 15 over a 12 is that it will move significantly more air with the same amp.
Yes, that is what i have been told, and it will hit the lower notes from what i hear from people, and will keep the same response as a 12". So i think i might do that, considering it will save me alot of space and headache. Drop that bad boy in a ported enclosure and let her rip.
-Jalal
Old 06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
jmax

If money is not a hugge issue you may want to try it sealed first. As a single 15 with that much displacement capability will give more than enough bass for most music fans. I am saying this as an Adire 15 inch owner. Of course the downside of porting these large displacement drivers is that large port surface area is needed. As port length is proportional to surface area, very long ports are also needed. When it gets too long you can have resonance in the port. One of the many tradeoffs for ported systems' increased low end spl.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:11 PM

I would use eD specs on the box i have built.

OR

What do you think?
-Jalal