Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Engine Whine ..weeeeeeeeeee!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:18 AM

Engine Whine ..weeeeeeeeeee!

Hi there! I have a maxima 2000, with a sony head unit, re-wired everything new speakers. The whole nine yards. I'm getting an engine whine throughtout the RPM range. I tried using a ground loop isolator it works a little by dampning the noise but its still there the noise. Its soooooo anoying!!!! Please guys any info would be appreciated. I hear that there is something that i could connect to the battery or alternator. What are these things called and do they work. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you seperate power from RCA's when running them? Also you might have a bad ground somewhere. When I installed my seperates I had a horrible engine whine which I figured out to be my seperates I installed in the door. My 6.5" woofers were just barely touching the door's sheet metal causing it to ground out. Also I put electrical tape on my speaker leads to keep them from touching but after a while I guess the tape heated up and didn't insulate very well or it was arching. I eventually just peeled the metal back where my leads for my speaker were touching. Check to see what kind of clearance your speaker has on the back and how close is it to the doors sheet metal. Ask anymore questions if needed. I would try to figure out the problem before you buy additional things.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by thomasd cook
Did you seperate power from RCA's when running them? Also you might have a bad ground somewhere. When I installed my seperates I had a horrible engine whine which I figured out to be my seperates I installed in the door. My 6.5" woofers were just barely touching the door's sheet metal causing it to ground out. Also I put electrical tape on my speaker leads to keep them from touching but after a while I guess the tape heated up and didn't insulate very well or it was arching. I eventually just peeled the metal back where my leads for my speaker were touching. Check to see what kind of clearance your speaker has on the back and how close is it to the doors sheet metal. Ask anymore questions if needed. I would try to figure out the problem before you buy additional things.
Thanks mans,I checked that cause i heard that could be a problem. The 6.5 are fine and are not touching anything. The problem i seem to be having is not directly related to the speakers because i have a neo mp3 player running on my aux input on my sony headunit. When im playing cds directly from my headunit it sounds perfect. Its just when i use my aux ins for my mp3 player or when i use my USB in for laptop to play **** that i get that annoying whine. It has to do with the source selector i think. Cause its just when im running my aux ins that i hear the whine.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:38 PM
You will lose

The problem you are running into has a couple of possible solutions. Are you running the auxilary gear from the cig lighter, or batteries? I just hooked up a system in a friend's car, and when he hooked up his MP3 player there was noise. we disconnected the cig addapter, and it was fine off of batteries. I rewired the cig lighter and radio to a power lead direct from the battery (now the cig lighter is constant instead of ignition, and I grounded them in the same place. Now it works fine. Some of the gear just isn't really best suited for the 12 volt environment. Good Luck.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by TAPOUT
The problem you are running into has a couple of possible solutions. Are you running the auxilary gear from the cig lighter, or batteries? I just hooked up a system in a friend's car, and when he hooked up his MP3 player there was noise. we disconnected the cig addapter, and it was fine off of batteries. I rewired the cig lighter and radio to a power lead direct from the battery (now the cig lighter is constant instead of ignition, and I grounded them in the same place. Now it works fine. Some of the gear just isn't really best suited for the 12 volt environment. Good Luck.
Thanks for the info. My mp3 player is specifically made for cars its wired through the battery. It does not plug in from an adpater. I already have a loop isolator that does a little of the job. But i heard of something that you can connect to the alternator or battery to muffle the sound. What is this piece called?