Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

what kind of aftermarket alarm do i have?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:01 PM

what kind of aftermarket alarm do i have?!

Since I bought my car used a few months ago I've noticed that it has some kind of aftermarket alarm, but for some reason or another it never worked. Today was the first day. I noticed a wire hanging underneath my steering wheel with a small black button on the end. I pressed it but nothing happened, so I drove to my friend's house. When I was about to leave, I pressed a button on my keyless entry and this new alarm started up. It was loud and obnoxious and there was no way to turn it off. I couldn't start my car either. Finally after 30 minutes I got it off by turning the key in the ignition while pressing that little black button. Now it randomly comes on and off and is driving me nuts. I rather learn how to use it instead of ripping it out, though. The alarm cycles through 5-6 different sounds when it's set off and the turn signals, headlights and fog lights blink. Also the car won't start. It comes on if I press anything on my keyless entry or open a door or try to start the car. The aftermarket horn is a little to the right of my grill, behind it. And there's that black button underneath my steering wheel.

does anyone have any idea who makes this alarm or how to use it? I couldn't find any markings on it. I have a 95 GLE. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you find the main controller black box? If so, can you get a pic of it? If the valet switch (button) was just hanging from under your steering wheel, it sounds like a really sloppy install job... just my .02

bluemaxdriver4
Old 07-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bluemaxdriver4
Can you find the main controller black box? If so, can you get a pic of it? If the valet switch (button) was just hanging from under your steering wheel, it sounds like a really sloppy install job... just my .02

bluemaxdriver4

id have to 2nd that opinion. If you find the brain of the unit (like he said, black box) it should have a manufacturer name and model number. Then all you have to do is lookup manuel online. No biggy. Well we know it has starter kill. I guess thats a start, heh
Old 07-25-2003, 04:20 AM

hmm ok i'll try looking for the main black box, but where are these things usually placed? Sorry but I have no idea about car alarms.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:51 AM

usually when i install an alarm i try and hide that module as much as possible. But if there leaving the valet switch exposesed then im guess it will be just zip tied up there, or jammed in the upper corner.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:50 AM

check behind the kick panel to the left of your feet in the drivers floorboard.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:41 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Should be placed high above the "dead pedal" in the dash, in the maximas that is the easiest most confortable spot. BUT before you go tearing up your dash looking for it, can you just take a pic of the remote? Or did they add onto the factory keyless? Also you can check the siren, which should be easily seen under your hood, facing downward. Read the make/model off of that.

--Don
Old 07-25-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Should be placed high above the "dead pedal" in the dash, in the maximas that is the easiest most confortable spot. BUT before you go tearing up your dash looking for it, can you just take a pic of the remote? Or did they add onto the factory keyless? Also you can check the siren, which should be easily seen under your hood, facing downward. Read the make/model off of that.

--Don

i dont think the siren would be a good indicator of what alrm he has, DEI makes over like 8 brands of alarms, all something a little different.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:27 AM

If anyone could tell I think it would be Don. He is pretty smart.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:30 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by mclarke

i dont think the siren would be a good indicator of what alrm he has, DEI makes over like 8 brands of alarms, all something a little different.

Yes but if the siren is a 514N it would make it a DEI, narrowing it down. If it is on his factory remote than it narrows it down to just a couple.

Originally posted by vabeachmax
If anyone could tell I think it would be Don. He is pretty smart.

--Don
Old 07-25-2003, 12:21 PM

THREAD JACK!!

My car had an alarm on it when I bought it. My remote says Checkmate. Is that a name brand cause i've searched the web and can't find any info on it. also the alarm control box has no name on it.

thanks