Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Focal Utopia 165W3 (or 165W) vs MB Quart QSD 216

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Focal Utopia 165W3 (or 165W) vs MB Quart QSD 216

Hi guys, I am hoping that I can get some assistance to pick speakers out here. I currently have the stock BOSE system in my 95SE. I am planning on getting the following:

Alpine 7998 XM deck
I already have a Precision Power PPI PC6600 (600W 6channel) amp
I am contemplating between the following for speakers:

MB Quart QSD 216 (2-way component system) - 2 mids, 2 tweeters
2 x 6.5" mids
2 x tweeters

Focal Utopia 165W (2-way component system) - 2 mids, 2 tweeters
2 x 6.5" mids
2 x tweeters

Focal Utopia 165W3 (3-way component system)
2 x 6.5" woofer
2 x 5.75" mids
2 x tweeters

Can I use the 165W3 in a Maxima (6.5" woofers in the rear, 5.75" mids in the front door and tweeters in the tweeter spots in the a-pillar)?

Which one of those above setups would you guys recommend?

Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:00 PM

Firstly, of the speakers you mentioned, IMO the Focals are much better speakers than the MBQ's. If you go with the 3-ways build kicks for the mid and tweet (do not spread around the car as you suggested), otherwise go with the Focal 2-ways in the factory locations.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:23 PM

I have to really disagree. First I have to say, putting these speakers in the factory locations is a complete waste, they are ment to be custom mounted and extensivly tuned, your gonna spend all that money drop them in and leave 60 percent of what they can do out there.

Then I give the smoothness of the tweeter to focal, but seems to lack ophhh. I give the punch of the midbass to the q's and the ablity to play very low very smooth. Mid range, each is very good, i call that a tie.

Theres the start.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
I have to really disagree. First I have to say, putting these speakers in the factory locations is a complete waste, they are ment to be custom mounted and extensivly tuned, your gonna spend all that money drop them in and leave 60 percent of what they can do out there.
So if you did get the 165W3, where would you mount the 6 speakers in a gen 4?

Then I give the smoothness of the tweeter to focal, but seems to lack ophhh. I give the punch of the midbass to the q's and the ablity to play very low very smooth. Mid range, each is very good, i call that a tie.

Theres the start.
Would I get the best of the best if I bought the focal tweeters separately and then bought the QSD mids only?

But, the QSD 6.5" speakers are mids, whereas the Focal has 6.5" mids which become woofers in the other package. (are they the same speaker or different?) and the package where the 6.5" are the woofers, has 5.75" mids - what about those?
Old 07-26-2003, 09:53 AM

I'd mount the midrange in the kick and the midbass in the door.

The idea is sound to buy the best of each, but it takes alot of time to blend them together meaning lots of tuning.

Forget about the verbage. It's the same exact speaker wheather you call it a midbass midrange or woofer. It's all in how you use it.

Typically I like to start with as little in the chain as possible. meaning 6 tweet and sub. But of course there are times 4 way is good to, and in fact thats what i plan to do in my M5.

It's kinda up to you, if you really want more speakers and littler kicks(usally) then the 4 way is prob the way to go.

Whether you go with either or, you need a 30 band eq so they can be tuned, and you can get your money out of them. And custom kicks, NOT Q FORM. I know what your thinking o great mo money. Well yes but you will end up getting your moneys worth. Your prob looking at around 400 and 2 days for the kicks, and 1,000 on the 30 band eq no matter which you get.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:59 PM

It's kinda up to you, if you really want more speakers and littler kicks(usally) then the 4 way is prob the way to go.
I spoke to a very reputable shop in town and they said that it would be a waste of money to go with the 3-way components over the 2-way components becuase:

1) It is harder to tune the 3-way to give better sound. The 2-way would sound much better. The benefit of 3-way would only be if I want more volume.

2) To custom make kick plates to fit the extra speakers in the 3-way would be many hours of additional labour out of which I would not realize as much of a benefit.

So it seems as though it would be better to go with the 2-way over the 3-way.

Secondly, with the focal tweeters that come with the Utopia, what is the optimal placement for them - at the bottom of the a-pillar where the stock BOSE tweeters are... or elsewhere? The 6.5" mids would go in the existing BOSE mid's location at the bottom of the door. That way there is no additional cutting required - would that be optimal? The shop seemed to think so.

Latsly, for wires... I will obviously get new power wire (RCA)... but what about speaker wire? The shop said that speaker wire is not worth the amuont of money and labour that I would be spending. The factory speaker wire would do the job; the important part is the signal wires from the deck to the amp, which I would replace (power/RCA wire).
Old 07-26-2003, 03:42 PM

Out of curosity who is this shop?

1. It is harder to tune...Do you have a 30 band left right eq? 2 ways sound better...maybe maybe no, really depends. 3rd point is not true. The point of a 3 way setup is to have a dedacated driver for each range. The point being to focus the sound out of each speaker, elimnating distortion, and very simply asking a speaker to do to much or to large of a range.

2. Yes it could take 2 days or more. But yes you would see benifit...better sound once tuned (if done right), far better imaging, far better stage depth, and far better stage width. I can't see why they think it does nothing. I really think you may be talking with the wrong people or they just dont' wanna do it. If you buy either of these sets and stuff um in the factory locations it's a waste of at least 40 percent of what they can do, if not much more.

Optimal placement is determind from listining in many places, a piller works, so does the kick, some times more untraditional spots work.

If your willing to drop large amounts of cash on qsd's or utopias i don't understand why you would want to use the factory locations, they are not optimal for ****.

As for wires...A set of RCA's are not power wire...2 very different things. And god the factory speaker wire would do? HOLY SHIZET. It's like 60 gauge. Are you not amplifing these?

I want complete details. Lay it all out there. I see this looks like the shop is leading you astray, and your leaving alot to chance.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:59 PM

Out of curosity who is this shop?
Natural Sound, in Kitchener, Ontario.
1. It is harder to tune...Do you have a 30 band left right eq? 2 ways sound better...maybe maybe no, really depends. 3rd point is not true. The point of a 3 way setup is to have a dedacated driver for each range. The point being to focus the sound out of each speaker, elimnating distortion, and very simply asking a speaker to do to much or to large of a range.
No, I do not have a separate EQ... should I get one from alpine to go along with the deck (not sure if they make one)? Wouldn't the crossovers be good enough to tune the 2-wya components?
Optimal placement is determind from listining in many places, a piller works, so does the kick, some times more untraditional spots work.
If the piller does work, then why not mount the tweeters at the bottom of the a-piller and the mids in the bottom of the door? What would be better than that, if I did go with the 2-way components (2 mids, 2 tweeters)?
If your willing to drop large amounts of cash on qsd's or utopias i don't understand why you would want to use the factory locations, they are not optimal for ****.

As for wires...A set of RCA's are not power wire...2 very different things. And god the factory speaker wire would do? HOLY SHIZET. It's like 60 gauge. Are you not amplifing these?

I want complete details. Lay it all out there. I see this looks like the shop is leading you astray, and your leaving alot to chance.
I think I do not have a good understanding behind what RCA and power wires are. SO we have, deck connected to amp with RCA cables... amp to battery with power cables... and of course speaker wire from amp to speakers. Anything else?
Old 07-26-2003, 04:30 PM

Alright Canada expect for maybe 2 names is beond my knowledge of shops.

If you want every bit of your money out of the speakers yes you need a 30 band left and right eq.

If the piller does work, put it there. I run mine there, but they don't always, you or in this case your installer (who if there worth anything) needs to play around and see what will blend the best. If your gonna slam um in the door you'd be better off spending 400 bucks on some componets, and at least that way, you get your moneys worth.

What would be better? First let me say the reason speakers come where they do is ease not because they sound good there. Better place is usally the kick panel, thats the typical place, and the one that requires the least amount of customizing.

THose are the basic wires.

What amps are you going to run?
Old 07-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

One thing that is being forgotten about in this whole thing is that the 7998 has time correction. Placement is important, but when you have a manual tranny car (as Speedemn does) and use the dead pedal, kicks usually get in the way. The 7998, in my setup, is biamping the Utopias and I am time aligning the mids separately from the tweets. The speakers are in the stock locations.

My car was done by Natual Sound and I know them very well (I also know Speedemn quite well). Speedemn hasn't heard my car since the Utopias went in (I have the 2 way), but I'm bugging him to listen to it.

Natural Sound's comment about choosing the 2 way over the 3 way Utopias is more a matter of 'value'. I've seen the work they do and they'll build you whatever you want. They've got one guy with a Contour that has 2 JL1000/1's running 2 13W7's, 2 JL350/4's running a pair of Utopias in custom enclosures. They're not afraid of spending the time to do what the customer wants and they are quite capable. You just have to remember that when most people walk into a shop, they aren't looking to do a competition vehicle. They try to balance what the customer asks of them with what they think the customer actually wants to do. As I wasn't there to listen to the conversation between Speedemn and Scott, I can't judge what happened.

I also think that speedemn would be spending a lot more money to get just a little more.

If you want every bit of your money out of the speakers yes you need a 30 band left and right eq.

If the piller does work, put it there. I run mine there, but they don't always, you or in this case your installer (who if there worth anything) needs to play around and see what will blend the best. If your gonna slam um in the door you'd be better off spending 400 bucks on some componets, and at least that way, you get your moneys worth.

What would be better? First let me say the reason speakers come where they do is ease not because they sound good there. Better place is usally the kick panel, thats the typical place, and the one that requires the least amount of customizing.

Old 07-26-2003, 05:38 PM

I understand about the dead pedel, I have an M5 it only comes in a stick. Go look at my maxima, that dead pedel was/is fully usable, and it had a 6.5 in it...Q in fact. It just takes a bit of work to make it fit. The head unit adjustments are great, but just think how much better it would sound if you had that and the right placement.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:18 PM

I completely understand your point about getting 10/10ths out of the system, but it would cost him the following:

- extra cost of the 165w3's compared to the 165w's - estimate about $500CDN;
- extra cost of the kicks - estimate $400-$500CDN ??? not sure, but I'm sure it won't be that far off;
- extra drivers can introduce phase cancellation which can be fun to weed out;
- who knows what else?

The car will be listened to while it's in motion so the noise floor will be relatively high so I'm not too sure that the subtleties will be missed. Just going to any of the Utopias is a thought that 99% of the people out there think is a move that should have you labelled nuts. I've built a system that I'm extremely happy with. Is it the best system out there? No. Will I change anything? Oh, probably sometime in the future, right now though, I'm happy with it.

Again, a great deal of this comes down to what speedemn's intentions are. If he wants to compete, then yes, he probably should 'go to town'. If he just wants a system that is going to be 8 or 9 tenths of the way there, then he should stick with a simpler approach.

He's lucky since he lives near me and can actually listen to a car that is completed with much of the same hardware that he is considering. I didn't have that chance and had to spend a great deal of time playing with different boxes, speakers, cross over points, etc, etc. Thankfully I know everyone at Natural Sound and they have treated me exceptionally well so this project didn't come out at an astronomical cost.

I understand about the dead pedel, I have an M5 it only comes in a stick. Go look at my maxima, that dead pedel was/is fully usable, and it had a 6.5 in it...Q in fact. It just takes a bit of work to make it fit. The head unit adjustments are great, but just think how much better it would sound if you had that and the right placement.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:17 PM

I didnt' even say anything about getting the 4 way vs the 3 way, infact if you go back you will see that I've always perfered 3 way setups, and always run it...meaning sub, mid, tweet. But a kick costing 400 or so bucks american is worth it when you drop 1000 on the speakers alone. You think you can't hear detail going down teh highway at 110? I can prove you wrong if you would like. Come on down take a listen, I'll hit boost out on the highway and turn the sytem up and you can hear both.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:18 PM

What brand/model do you recommend?
I still have my amp from my previous car's system - Precision Power PPI PC6600 (6-channel, 600W). Is that a good enough amp to run the Focals?

As for the wires, should I replace speaker wire too? They said that it would be 8 hours of labour vs 2 hours of labour (approximately). That is a HUGE difference in labour costs. They said that the benefit of that cost would not justify the gains that I get from it.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:06 PM

Alpine,Audio Control, Phoenix Gold, Orion, Zapco (though not really, only works good if you run all zapco), theres a few others just can't think rite now.

Yeah that'll do.

Absolutly, replace the speaker wire, run it from teh amps the whole way up to the passives, and new outta the passives, at least 14 gauge.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:29 AM

Max'n out, sorry about thinking you were pushing the more complicated method, above. Guess I read more into your replies than you meant.

Since the 7998 has a 5 band parametric EQ, I would mess around with that before purchasing another EQ. Setting up an EQ can be one of the more time consuming things, IMO. Can drive a person nuts if you are the type to 'fiddle'.

I know the shop ran new speaker wire from the amp to the crossover in the kicks, but I believe they left the stock wiring to the speaker. That is, until they installed the Utopias (I had the 165A earlier). When they did the Utopias, I had them deaden the doors with the Cascade stuff (I asked him about the manufacturer's name last night, speedemn) I would highly recomend getting the doors dampened. It really anchors the image by reducing the resonance from the doors.

Alpine,Audio Control, Phoenix Gold, Orion, Zapco (though not really, only works good if you run all zapco), theres a few others just can't think rite now.

Yeah that'll do.

Absolutly, replace the speaker wire, run it from teh amps the whole way up to the passives, and new outta the passives, at least 14 gauge.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:53 AM
MaximaFreak

Ahhh, you're showin your age maxn' , no need for the old school 30 band L+R EQ's anymore. He has a 7998 which means PXA. The Alpine digital processors are so much better than the older stuff in my opinion. Sure, you will hear different, but the ability to tune everything from the front with less of a chance of whine (we both know Audiocontrol and PG stuff is "delicate" and easily induces whine) all for less than it would cost for the EQT's or whatever.

All that said, unless you are competing you don't need it. Whether or not you WANT it is up to you, but the need isn't there. I only run the 5 band EQ that's in the 7998 and I feel I get sound that is better than most. Could I compete in competitions with it and win? Probably not. But it sounds good to me and most people that get into my car and that's what matters.

If you are going to compete for SQ you need 1. kickpanels, 2. at least 30 bands of equalization and 3. definitely Focal over MB Quart (given only those two brands).

Speedemn - that PPI amp should do just fine IMHO. What are the RMS specs? (Everyone always says they have a xxxW amp, how about specs?)
Old 07-28-2003, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham
Speedemn - that PPI amp should do just fine IMHO. What are the RMS specs? (Everyone always says they have a xxxW amp, how about specs?)
PPI - PC6600 Amplifier 6CH POWER Class

PC6600 Specifications:Output Power: (4 Ohms): 6X50W
Output Power: (2 Ohms): 6X100W
Output Power: (4 OHM-MONO): 3X200W
THD: 0.02%
S/N Ratio: 110 dB
Frequency Response: 4.5-100KHz
Input Sensitivity: .15-12V
Damping Factor: 500
Dimensions 2.25 x 8.9: x 19.75
QBASS EQ: QBASSplus
Crossover Slope: 12dB/24dB/Octave
Crossover Frequency: 20Hz-5KHz, 90Hz
Crossover Type: 3-way
Old 07-28-2003, 05:05 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by speedemn

PPI - PC6600 Amplifier 6CH POWER Class

PC6600 Specifications:Output Power: (4 Ohms): 6X50W
Output Power: (2 Ohms): 6X100W
Output Power: (4 OHM-MONO): 3X200W
THD: 0.02%
S/N Ratio: 110 dB
Frequency Response: 4.5-100KHz
Input Sensitivity: .15-12V
Damping Factor: 500
Dimensions 2.25 x 8.9: x 19.75
QBASS EQ: QBASSplus
Crossover Slope: 12dB/24dB/Octave
Crossover Frequency: 20Hz-5KHz, 90Hz
Crossover Type: 3-way
Yeah, 50 PPI Powerclass watts will do fine. 75 or even 100 would be even better, but 50 is nothing to laugh at. If you aren't going to run rear speakers, I would put 1channel per speaker. I have 75 x 4 and run 1 channel to each tweeter and 1 channel to each mid. Your 7998 has the ability to run that setup with it's internal crossover (Probably the main reason I chose it over other units). Just something to think about.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:06 AM

I disagree with you. No knock on the head, but 5 bands is not gonna do it. Idealy with everything done right, you need as little adjustment as possible. Yet for a normal set of kicks, the installer is not gonna have everything perfact...Not to mention that massive differences in the dash contours, causing the need for adjustment. I have tuned cars using both those eq's and they advantages far out way teh minor disadvantages.

As for the old comp excuse thats just poor. So basically what your saying is all home systems are fine for the pre built 100 buck things yuou get at best buy. What I mean is kicks are not just for competing, they complete the stage, you can not get good imaging and soundstage out of the factory door locations with no moding. And thats part of what these speakers do. Why be cheap when buying such an expensive set of speakers.