Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Pick out my stereo for me...take 2 min to help me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pick out my stereo for me...take 2 min to help me!

Hi guys, I'm sure you can tell by this question that I'm new around here but I really hope that with a little help I can get up to speed. I just got my Max about a month and a half ago and notice right off the bat the stereo sucks. I have an SE with out the BOSE stereo. To top that off the driver side door speaker is blown for some odd reason. Anyhow this is what I want...I want to use my stock headunit just because I love the wheel controls and don't want to mess that up. I want to upgrade my speakers and power them with an external amp. Also to top that off I want a single sub. I had an idea of having a free air sub mounted in the rear deck but I'm not sure if that will work. So I'm open for suggestions. I'll outline it below for those who dont feel like reading...

1. New front/rear speakers...components maybe?
2. Amp for the front/rear speakers
3. Sub...(maybe free air) plus an amp to power it.
4. Budget....I just dropped $$ on 19's and the Stillen kit so I dont have tons of cash.
5. I'm open for any suggestions if this plan sounds like **** let me know I'm ready to hear what you have to say.

ALSO....if this question has been asked to many times I'm very sorry, I'll delete this post ASAP. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:30 AM
Jedi Knight

ok... first of all...get new door speakers as most of the time YOU hopefully drive your car. Second, components and coaxial, its all personal preference. Components cost more and are usually better, while Coaxials have great prices and sound decent. Next, decide on how much power you want the speakers to get, that'll help determine what kind of amp to get. TO be honest, no real good amp will have low-level inputs (speaker connections off the stock HU), but you can find an ok one. After doing this...see where u are budget wise then get back to us here
Old 10-03-2003, 06:30 AM

First off I would definately change the Head Unit and there is an adapter you can buy to keep your steering wheel and also you steering wheel will have more functions with this adapter.
1. Front definately go components, Rear u want to do COAX.
As far as the rest of the stuff you would need to let us know your budget, you can get an amp in all different price range and sound quality.
I am not sure how far you live from Northern Jersey, but I am selling my HU, COAX, Components and I would be able to get you a brand new amp for a great price. All the equipment is 1 month used, I am upgrading.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
ok... first of all...get new door speakers as most of the time YOU hopefully drive your car. Second, components and coaxial, its all personal preference. Components cost more and are usually better, while Coaxials have great prices and sound decent. Next, decide on how much power you want the speakers to get, that'll help determine what kind of amp to get. TO be honest, no real good amp will have low-level inputs (speaker connections off the stock HU), but you can find an ok one. After doing this...see where u are budget wise then get back to us here
If he really wants to keep his stock HU he does not have to worry about a top of the line amp having low level inputs, because he can always get a Line Level Converter.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 AM

i like infinit kappa speakers or alpine type R. before you buy them ask an installer if the magnet on the speaker will fit in the door mount. you do not want your window hitting the magnet when u roll it down
Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 AM

He will need to put a spacer between his speaker and door for a proper installation in turn the window should not be an issue. The magnet on my Eclipse components are a good size and not even an issue.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Dohcser
If he really wants to keep his stock HU he does not have to worry about a top of the line amp having low level inputs, because he can always get a Line Level Converter.

Yea...I didn't even think about that.