Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

XM in 4th Gen w/Bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:48 PM

XM in 4th Gen w/Bose

Hey all...I searched the threads on this but didn't find much. I want to get XM but I don't want to remove the Bose system. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I don't want to use a tape adapter (obviously), and I doubt an FM modulator would deliver the signal to its potential.

I came across someone selling adapters for the CD Changer plug...but I guess he's stopped selling them and now only offers the instructions. This is the ideal solution, IMO, to just be able to hit the CD CHG button and have the XM fed right into the head unit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. It's a 95 GLE, BTW.

-Ryan
t_sirveaux@hotmail.com
Old 10-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Sirius > XM

Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 AM

I've read both ways, I'd really appreciate if you elaborated on your opinion. Thanks.

-Ryan
Old 10-21-2003, 06:25 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by azflat4
Hey all...I searched the threads on this but didn't find much. I want to get XM but I don't want to remove the Bose system. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I don't want to use a tape adapter (obviously), and I doubt an FM modulator would deliver the signal to its potential.

I came across someone selling adapters for the CD Changer plug...but I guess he's stopped selling them and now only offers the instructions. This is the ideal solution, IMO, to just be able to hit the CD CHG button and have the XM fed right into the head unit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. It's a 95 GLE, BTW.

-Ryan
t_sirveaux@hotmail.com
Well, I've got the SkyFi XM unit in my car, and I have the FM modulator... It delivers CD quality sound to my '99 BOSE system, the only quirk about it is that you have to turn the volume up a little louder than you would a CD...FM modulator is definitely the way to go IMHO

Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by azflat4

-Ryan
t_sirveaux@hotmail.com
Look at Audiovox's Shuttle. The signal is transmitted to your existing radio (no wires). Power from cig. lighter and one antenna wire and that's it. Sound quality is great. I have 2 of them and love the music with no commercials. It is Sirius service and not XM if that makes a big difference. Buy a home adapter docking station and use it in the house. I didn't go that way, I just listen to Sirius online. It's free with a subscription.

Good luck shopping, satellite radio will spoil you. You will never listen to regular radio again.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:46 AM

So with the FM modulator...when you're listening to the satellite radio, you're driving around with the FM antenna extended all the time? I'm assuming if the FM modulator is near the head unit it'll work and you don't need the antenna extended, right? If so, I think I'd install a switch on the antenna line, because I figure once I got satellite I'll never go back, so why drive around with that mast sticking out of the back of my car...

-Ryan