Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where's best place to put amps in 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where's best place to put amps in 4th Gen?

About to install two amps, 4ch for front and rear speakers and 2ch for subs in my 98. After laying in my trunk pondering I decided to put the 4ch under the front passenger seat and the 2ch in the trunk, mounted vertically next to the access hole. My questions are:

1. Are these bad ideas?
2. Is it difficult to drill through the metal behind the back seat?
3. Is there any problems with drilling through the floor board?
4. What type of screws should I use?
5. Will there be heating issues with amp under the seat?
6. Lastly where did you mount your amp? Post pics if you got'em.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
About to install two amps, 4ch for front and rear speakers and 2ch for subs in my 98. After laying in my trunk pondering I decided to put the 4ch under the front passenger seat and the 2ch in the trunk, mounted vertically next to the access hole. My questions are:

1. Are these bad ideas?
2. Is it difficult to drill through the metal behind the back seat?
3. Is there any problems with drilling through the floor board?
4. What type of screws should I use?
5. Will there be heating issues with amp under the seat?
6. Lastly where did you mount your amp? Post pics if you got'em.
Ok, trying to help here.

I think its a bad idea to put an amp under the seat. You are not putting it in the best possible place for airflow, but it may nor matter. Secondly, its not hard at all to drill into the metal behind the back seat...actually pretty easy...might want to look into self-tapping screws. There are no issues with drilling into the floor board as long as you make sure you don't hit anything crucial and that you seal it properly or get ready for RUST!. I'm probably going to mount my amp in the trunk behind the back seat...covering the access hole as I don't use it anyways.

hope that helps
Old 10-21-2003, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
Ok, trying to help here.

I think its a bad idea to put an amp under the seat. You are not putting it in the best possible place for airflow, but it may nor matter. Secondly, its not hard at all to drill into the metal behind the back seat...actually pretty easy...might want to look into self-tapping screws. There are no issues with drilling into the floor board as long as you make sure you don't hit anything crucial and that you seal it properly or get ready for RUST!. I'm probably going to mount my amp in the trunk behind the back seat...covering the access hole as I don't use it anyways.

hope that helps
Thanks for the reply. I decided to put it under the seat because there was not enough of a flat suface to mount it in the trunk for both amps. I figured it should not get that hot at all running the four smaller speakers.

Anyone else?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:20 AM

I had my amps drilled into the metal behind the back seats. I have pulled the system and when I get around to putting it back in I definetly plan on installing them under the seats. Heat shouldn't be a problem, we have quite a bit of clearance under our seats. If it is you can always add a fan.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:30 AM

i guess depending on the effectiveness of the heatsinks on the amp, it might be ok to mount them under the seat. but i rather mount them in the trunk somewhere to get better airflow
Old 10-25-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
i guess depending on the effectiveness of the heatsinks on the amp, it might be ok to mount them under the seat. but i rather mount them in the trunk somewhere to get better airflow

Where!?!? That's my whole problem. I'm installing them myself and I'm not taking out my spare and I'm not mounting them on the sub box. I felt the 4ch amp won't get that hot under the seat anyway. I want to mount them in the trunk but, the Maxima trunk although roomy only has a few flat sufaces to mount an amp. I need suggestions on where and how. Once again pics would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:38 PM

oh, i just mounted my amp onto the rear of the sub box. i guess you can get a piece of MDF or plywood, and somehow rig it right the rear seat. you'll have a flat surface to work with that way.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
oh, i just mounted my amp onto the rear of the sub box. i guess you can get a piece of MDF or plywood, and somehow rig it right the rear seat. you'll have a flat surface to work with that way.
True I guess I could mount a board to the rear trunk wall and even cut a hole for the access hole. I've never work with the stuff though and might just get a stereo shop to build the board and cover it with carpet. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:19 AM

yeah i think it'll look real clean after you're finished. have it carpeted too and it'll look nice. good luck
Old 10-26-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
True I guess I could mount a board to the rear trunk wall and even cut a hole for the access hole. I've never work with the stuff though and might just get a stereo shop to build the board and cover it with carpet. Thanks for the idea.
I have two carpeted boards that I had my JL Amps mounted to. They sit right next to each side of the pass through and are carpeted in a dark grey color. I don't need them since I will be mounting my amp under the seat. If you wanna throw me a few bucks to make it worth my time I'll ship them to ya! Just let me know if you want them, so I can go ahead and pull 'em out of the car.