Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stock Head Unit w/Type R 6.5"s or Stock all around with 10"Type R sub.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Stock Head Unit w/Type R 6.5"s or Stock all around with 10"Type R sub.

Hey guys, im new here, but ive visited a lot to find out how to do stuff, i finally decided to do somethin with my stereo. I was wondering which would sound better four 6.5" alpine Type Rs with the stock head unit and stock sub>??? or stock everything but the sub, which will be replaced with a 10" Alpine Type R sub and Alpine Amp???
(4) 6.5" will cost around 200 total
sub option- around 400
Which is a better option for very clear sound? Im going toward doing the 6.5"s all around cause it is cheaper, but WILL I NOTICE A DIFFERENCE?
THANKS ALL!!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by UCI Maxima
Hey guys, im new here, but ive visited a lot to find out how to do stuff, i finally decided to do somethin with my stereo. I was wondering which would sound better four 6.5" alpine Type Rs with the stock head unit and stock sub>??? or stock everything but the sub, which will be replaced with a 10" Alpine Type R sub and Alpine Amp???
sub option- around 400
Which is a better option for very clear sound? Im going toward doing the 6.5"s all around cause it is cheaper, but WILL I NOTICE A DIFFERENCE?
THANKS ALL!!
Why pay so much for an Alpine Type-R? Click this link: Alpine Type-R 10"

Also, check out Caraudioforum You can find a TON of info there, and have your questions answered by people who are as interested in car audio as people here are interested in cars. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
Why pay so much for an Alpine Type-R? Click this link: Alpine Type-R 10"

Also, check out Caraudioforum You can find a TON of info there, and have your questions answered by people who are as interested in car audio as people here are interested in cars. Good luck.

well that total would be for the sub itself, ported box, and wiring. i get everything at costs from circuit city.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 PM
LithiuMax

Box would be no more than $100. Wiring, from knukonceptz.com, is about $40, shipped for a complete 4 gauage kit. And the sub is about $110, shipped. That is $250, far below what Circuit City would charge you at cost (and that is with a rather expensive box, that, if you wanted to, you could make yourself for around $50).

Just a thought.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 PM

Box would be no more than $100. Wiring, from knukonceptz.com, is about $40, shipped for a complete 4 gauage kit. And the sub is about $110, shipped. That is $250, far below what Circuit City would charge you at cost (and that is with a rather expensive box, that, if you wanted to, you could make yourself for around $50).

Just a thought.
yeah the pricing would be around that for me, but the 400 total includes an alpine amp as well, basically the best one for that sub. Have you ever heard a Max with replaced 6.5 and stock everything else?? i dont want the whole world to hear my music, but i want to be able to turn it up and not get any distortions in my bass. what do you think?? any other options out there??
Old 10-22-2003, 09:52 PM

Just want to tell you that the stock head unit wont be enough power for the type R 6.5's they have a large motor structure that requires and after market amp. Without an amp they wont sound too good.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
LithiuMax

Oh, I did not know that an amp was included in that price. Well, at least you are getting good equipment to start with. I suggest you get the subwoofer and upgrade the speakers later. Just my .02 cents.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM

IMO, for clear sound I would go with the 6.5's and hold out for a sub later on. Also, I don't know much about speaker installation, but in my first car I first had installed 3-way 6.5 Kenwoods up front and 6.5 2-way Kenwoods in rear (with a swivel tweeter). I had them set up with a Rockford Fosgate 400.a4 (its a while ago). The head unit was a Kenwood cassette deck (CD changer also) and I had the Kenwood graphic equalizer also (in the lower DIN slot). The system was great- nice and clear and had decent bass even though I had no subs. After about 3 months I decided I wanted some subs (didn't really need em though). I went with 2 RF 12" subs (forgot the model) in a sealed box and a RF 360.a2. The system was awesome... Now I still have stock stuff in my Max, but looking into changing that soon. Anyways, post some info on how it comes out once you decide what to do- and good luck with it all.

...Hey LithiuMax, just wondering if u ever ordered from IKESOUND.COM. Their prices are really low.. just wondering if there is anything wrong with their stuff and if there is any catch (other than only having suppliers warranty). BTW, thanks for the site.

Vinny
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
LithiuMax

Vinny, IkeSound is quite reputable - only catch is that they take a little while to ship. The even provide a one year warranty. I have never bought anything from them, but people constantly do over at www.caraudioforum.com

Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alpine 6.5's

sub option- around 400
THANKS ALL!!
I have 2 pair of the Type R 6.5's and an MRV540(Alpine). It will be installed soon. I will post the pics as soon as the install is done. And FYI, I will be running all of them high pass. I already have the Kicker L7 12's(2) and will be purchasing the wiring kit and KX1200(Kicker) the beggining of Nov. I can't freakin wait! If you complete your install before me, please post some pics. Door panels off(preferably) so I can see how you installed them. Good luck!!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:53 PM

Vinny, IkeSound is quite reputable - only catch is that they take a little while to ship. The even provide a one year warranty. I have never bought anything from them, but people constantly do over at www.caraudioforum.com
Thanks for the info. I don't mind about the wait- but its great that they have the warranty. Anyways, thanks again for the site. BTW, great job on the car.

Vinny
Old 10-23-2003, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
I have 2 pair of the Type R 6.5's and an MRV540(Alpine). It will be installed soon. I will post the pics as soon as the install is done. And FYI, I will be running all of them high pass. I already have the Kicker L7 12's(2) and will be purchasing the wiring kit and KX1200(Kicker) the beggining of Nov. I can't freakin wait! If you complete your install before me, please post some pics. Door panels off(preferably) so I can see how you installed them. Good luck!!!!!
alright i think your gonna get yours done first. do you think you can list the audio parts your using and if you finish before i do, could you tell me how they sound and what your connecting everything to.(what kind of amp to what speaker, sub, etc. ) thanks!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Install

alright i think your gonna get yours done first. do you think you can list the audio parts your using and if you finish before i do, could you tell me how they sound and what your connecting everything to.(what kind of amp to what speaker, sub, etc. ) thanks!
I will post all of my pics when im done. I will email them to you if my cardomain page isn't done yet. I am also going to build my own enclosures so I will document everything.