Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

quick 2k2 bose question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:09 PM

quick 2k2 bose question

is the oem h/u powered or not?? i've heard conflicting descriptions that it powers the speakers, and others say that it only puts out a pseudo-preamp to the bose amp which powers the speakers and sub.

anyone know for sure???
Old 12-05-2003, 05:45 AM
ABS

Originally Posted by serin
is the oem h/u powered or not?? i've heard conflicting descriptions that it powers the speakers, and others say that it only puts out a pseudo-preamp to the bose amp which powers the speakers and sub.

anyone know for sure???
AFAIK, for Bose on 2K2 and later, the HU is a pre-amp (just like aftermarket HU's). It drives a small four channel amp mounted under the rear deck in your trunk. That amp also has a pre-amp output that feeds into the powered sub that is mounted on the rear deck . . . Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ABS
AFAIK, for Bose on 2K2 and later, the HU is a pre-amp (just like aftermarket HU's). It drives a small four channel amp mounted under the rear deck in your trunk. That amp also has a pre-amp output that feeds into the powered sub that is mounted on the rear deck . . . Hope that helps.
ABS, I know you are up to date on you audio knowledge, however I do believe this is incorrect. I hear that you need a PAC OEM Nissan converter kit. Last time I checked this audio forum was about a year ago. Some people have used a regular converter and the sound quality was poor. Others have connected it to the High Level amp inputs, and that also sucked. I believe the only pre-amp outputs are the Lows for the sub. People have successfully used those to connect to an aftermarket amp & drive some new subs.

I wish someone that has added an amp to their Bose would chime in... Where are the postwhores when you need them?

G
Old 12-05-2003, 11:36 AM

ok, well both of your posts are somewhat in-line with what i've heard here. what i read is that the outs on the bose h/u are preouts, but they're some proprietary voltage so that necessitates the pac adapter to make it work with aftermarket pre-ins. that's for the speakers and the sub. no problem there.

what worries me is that i called daveb for some of the harnesses i'd need for the wiring and he informed that he's reasonably sure that the h/u is powered... hence my post.