Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where to get head unit bench tested in PA/NJ area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:23 PM

Where to get head unit bench tested in PA/NJ area?

I bought a headunit from a merchant on Ebay. He is pretty reputable and has over 3000 positives ratings. ANyway, i bought an Alpine 9811 from him and it looked new as described when i got it. Well not long after installation, when i stick any kind of CD in it, it takes the whole CD in and i hear a clacking noise like its not loaded properly. The unit then doesn't recognize that there is a disk in there and won't play or eject unless i force eject by holding down the eject button for a few seconds. When ejecting, it makes the clacking noise again and ejects the disk. The problem is, that it occasionally takes the disk in with little or no problems. I just tried it earlier and it took the CD but made some clacking noise. I plan to keep this deck for a while so i don't want it breaking on me later even though its working now. I emailed the seller and he said to get it "bench tested", show proof that it is defective and send it back and he'll send me a new one. Does anyone know where can i get this unit bench tested? I'm in the Philly/NJ area. I should of just bought from Don..
Old 12-16-2003, 11:42 PM
jmax

Yep, should have bought it new from an authorized dealer.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you use labels or anything that could have come off in there? I've had 2 labels comeo ff in mine and it messed it up, tore it apart twice. I'm not sure of any shops in philly though. Theres some decent ones here in york. I'm pretty sure theres a tweeter around your area, try them, they deal with alpine
Old 12-17-2003, 12:28 PM

No I don't use CD labels. Did you get a clacking noise when inserting a disk? I don't know what is wrong with it. It makes noise when the disk is fully inserted and probably right when it is loaded onto the mechanism that makes the disk spin. I'm not gonna rip it apart, i'm just gonna make the seller send me a new one.

I do have a tweeter nearby but if they didn't sell it to me, i doubt they will do anything for me. The seller wants a bench test result, but isn't bench testing really for electronic issues and not mechanical issues? I researched car audio bench testing and all i really saw was frequency, wattage, ohm, current, and THD tests. Why do i need someone to bench test a mechanical problem when inserting a disk is all i or they have to do? This is exactly what i'm going to say to him later when i can get to my email again.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:30 PM

You can give tweeter a try or just ask them about bench testing, they are usually really helpful. What area in philly do you live in?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:02 PM

JeEvE -> I live in NE Philly... Theres a Tweeter close by so i'll check it out. I also know someone who works there but he sells TVs.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 PM

Im in the NE also, close to George Washington High School.