Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need Recommendation on speakers! MB Quart, Focal, Polk, or ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 06:35 PM

Need Recommendation on speakers! MB Quart, Focal, Polk, or ???

I'm looking for new speakers for my 02 (currently stock.) In my previous Maxima, I had some 6.5 Polk db and 6x9 Polk EX. Personally, I loved them! IMO, Infinty is waaaay too harsh. I want to know if Polk still sounds as good as they did 5 years ago (when I purchased the Polks.) I've heard MB Quart are a great alternative to Infinity if you want a smooth sound. But my brother's MB's are just as harsh as the Infinity's.

They will likely be powered by the Alpine MRV-450. So I need components in the front and 2-way's in the back. Thinking about current Polk db and/or Polk MOMO. Any recommends???
Old 12-31-2003, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaxAppeal
I'm looking for new speakers for my 02 (currently stock.) In my previous Maxima, I had some 6.5 Polk db and 6x9 Polk EX. Personally, I loved them! IMO, Infinty is waaaay too harsh. I want to know if Polk still sounds as good as they did 5 years ago (when I purchased the Polks.) I've heard MB Quart are a great alternative to Infinity if you want a smooth sound. But my brother's MB's are just as harsh as the Infinity's.

They will likely be powered by the Alpine MRV-450. So I need components in the front and 2-way's in the back. Thinking about current Polk db and/or Polk MOMO. Any recommends???

get cdts. my friend has kappas and i find them too harsh. these are more natural. the cdt cl61a. $149!!!

http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html

free and very fast shipping.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:52 PM

how easy of a fit are the cdt's?
Old 01-01-2004, 08:47 AM

if you want to go 6x9 they alpine 690A's are a good way to go, i got my pair for 90$ and they do pretty good with mid-range and highs without being too harsh

Old 01-01-2004, 09:50 AM

I love polk speakers i bought 5 1/4 and 5x7's like 2 years ago and i loved them too bad they don't fit in my maxima. I'd go with the polk's.. isn't all that they make speakers. they gotta be good at it.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:15 AM

how easy of a fit are the cdt's?

well this was my 1st ever car audio install and my car was weird. 2 of the speaker cutouts were oval shaped which made it hard. but just buy a 1" spacer and the nissan adapter wire for the speakers and you should be fine. they are worth it, trust me. they are better than polk, infinity. ive heard both and owned polk before, they are good, but cdt is better.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I recommend Focal, I have never been disappointed, most people don't buy them because they are too expensive.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:53 PM

I love my quarts. I too was concerned about getting quarts because I heard alot of people found them too harsh, but I love them.

-Steve
Old 01-01-2004, 02:09 PM

Eclipse - best bang for the buck IMO
Old 01-01-2004, 02:30 PM

I love my focal's, and have never had one person tell me they didnt love their sound, you just gotta tune it all right.

As is always said though, everyone's ears are different so go listen to them all and pick out what you like. Just make sure you tune everything good and a great set of speakers can sound better!
Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Max Appeal,

If you find Infinitys too harsh, I believe you will find MBQ too harsh as well. I've never had Polk, but if you like them...

You really can't go wrong with Focal. Remember that even they have a bottom line speaker that may not sound as good as other brands. I have Focal HC series coaxials that IMO sound better than a LOT of other brand's components sets (including the bottom level Focal components).

Tony
Old 01-01-2004, 08:47 PM

where can i get focals on the internet? will they be a relitively easy install? which models do you recommend? thanx
Old 01-01-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Max Appeal,

If you find Infinitys too harsh, I believe you will find MBQ too harsh as well. I've never had Polk, but if you like them...

You really can't go wrong with Focal. Remember that even they have a bottom line speaker that may not sound as good as other brands. I have Focal HC series coaxials that IMO sound better than a LOT of other brand's components sets (including the bottom level Focal components).

Tony
where can i get focals on the internet? will they be a relitively easy install? which models do you recommend? thanx
Old 01-02-2004, 04:30 AM

I don't recommend buying car audio gear on the Internet unless you can find an authorized Internet dealer...but I don't think Focal authorizes Internet sales...but I could be wrong. However, the last time I checked uscaraudio.com had Focal for a decent price.

If you are looking for an easy install I suggest you stick with coaxials all the way around. The HC coax series by Focal totally kick ****. I really do believe they sound much better than a ton of components...even more expensive ones. But your ears may differ.

Tony
Old 01-02-2004, 09:38 AM

90% of the audio equipment you buy on the internet is not warrantied, unless you buy from Crutchfield or something along that lines... best to know what you're getting into before purchasing something over the internet
Old 01-02-2004, 02:58 PM

I don't recommend buying car audio gear on the Internet unless you can find an authorized Internet dealer...but I don't think Focal authorizes Internet sales...but I could be wrong. However, the last time I checked uscaraudio.com had Focal for a decent price.

If you are looking for an easy install I suggest you stick with coaxials all the way around. The HC coax series by Focal totally kick ****. I really do believe they sound much better than a ton of components...even more expensive ones. But your ears may differ.

Tony
i'm thinking about going with JL VR series w/ silk dome tweeters. 6inch conponent in the front and 6inch coax in rear doors. does anyone know any other speakers with silk tweets? i think those will suit my listening tastes the best. any thoughts???
Old 01-02-2004, 04:16 PM

i'm thinking about going with JL VR series w/ silk dome tweeters. 6inch conponent in the front and 6inch coax in rear doors. does anyone know any other speakers with silk tweets? i think those will suit my listening tastes the best. any thoughts???

lots come with silk tweeters. its the way to go. titanium tweeters are too harsh imo. the cdts i posted about are 3/4" silk tweets.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:32 PM

personally i think not gettting a warranty with car audio is, in a way, good because it teaches you to take care of your **** and be very careful
Old 01-04-2004, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by fishpony
personally i think not gettting a warranty with car audio is, in a way, good because it teaches you to take care of your **** and be very careful
I really hope you're being sarcastic.

Tony
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

Tony

So then anything without a warranty, who knows where it came from, or even fake,etc...as long as you take good care of it, it all be ok? Thats a really poor way to look at things...

Tony...it had to have been a really bad joke on his part.

--Don
Old 01-05-2004, 03:09 PM

like if you buy speakers from best buy or circuit city. not buying the extended warranty teaches you to take care of your speakers and amps i was too poor to afford the warranty
Old 01-05-2004, 03:19 PM

I love how threads can take a completely different turn and talk about nothing related to the original question.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:01 PM

go with the cdt. i had infinity references in my altima but when i bought my max i put cdt classics in. btw i dont know if they sounded better because of the change from 5x7 to 6.5. cdt's have a better sound at higher volumes.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 96maxagain
go with the cdt. i had infinity references in my altima but when i bought my max i put cdt classics in. btw i dont know if they sounded better because of the change from 5x7 to 6.5. cdt's have a better sound at higher volumes.
i have mb q's and will be getting some focals soon.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:58 AM

I have had MB Quarts and Boston Pro series. Liked them both.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Way out West

If you are going to spend money on quality speakers, I would also take a look at Diamond Audio.

I have a pair of their lowest level (M3) coaxials in my doors and they sound great. Everyone that has been in my car says they like how warm and clear they are.

They can't handle tons of power (my gain is set below 1/2 on my amp) but they are still loud.

My only complaint is imaging -- my leg gets in the way of the highs from the tweeter when I am driving. That would happen with any coaxial, though.

I am planning on upgrading to seperates and I will likely be getting Diamond Audio, Focal or Eclipse. Those would be some of my choices. I have had MB Quart and they are loud and clear, but don't seem as warm to me. Just my opinion. You really should listen to some speakers and decide for yourself what suits your ears.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:09 AM
PAPA SMURF

I would recommend Diamond components and I would also recommend pming Don (Pearl96Max) for them....