Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

keeping amp/sub warm???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM

keeping amp/sub warm???

i live in CT, and whenever it gets real cold during the winter, it sometimes take a couple minutes before my sub starts going. kind of weird, but it won't work when i first turn the stereo on, but after about 10 minutes, it will gradually come on and then be working fine. It only happens during the winter, so it's obviously due to the cold. Any idea what could be causing this? Is there a way to keep my stereo equipment "warmer" then the outside temp? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

thats very odd, but i don't think there is anyway to avert this. whta kind of equipment are u using? its possible that the amplifer will not come on until it is in a safe operating temp range.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:41 PM

or the surrounds on your sub is too stiff from the cold?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
or the surrounds on your sub is too stiff from the cold?
That was my guess. One other thing to check is the connections to the remote turn on to the amp. The conctraction of the cold can sometimes cause some oddness.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jrklar
i live in CT, and whenever it gets real cold during the winter, it sometimes take a couple minutes before my sub starts going. kind of weird, but it won't work when i first turn the stereo on, but after about 10 minutes, it will gradually come on and then be working fine. It only happens during the winter, so it's obviously due to the cold. Any idea what could be causing this? Is there a way to keep my stereo equipment "warmer" then the outside temp? Thanks!
Well, it was -12 degrees here last week and I was surprised that the surrounds on my subs didn't seem to affect them at all. Weird. Are you saying the amp itself isn't turning on? What about the rest of your system? HU? Other amps?

Tony
Old 01-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check if the amp is coming on, like the others said. But in any case, you shouldn't be pushing the subs at any level when they're cold - I always wait at least 10 mins or so after driving, so that the trunk is a bit warmer. Pushing them before they warm up can cause premature wear...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:13 AM

hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. i just went and checked everything out. i had never actuallly taken a look because it's so darn cold i just want to be in the car. the amp turns on fine, i think it must be due to the sub just being so cold it is stiffening up. like i usually do, i'll just keep it low until everything warms up. btw... i'm running all kenwood excelon.. 559 head unit, 501f amp, 60p components in front, x167 in rear, and 12DB sub.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrklar
hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. i just went and checked everything out. i had never actuallly taken a look because it's so darn cold i just want to be in the car. the amp turns on fine, i think it must be due to the sub just being so cold it is stiffening up. like i usually do, i'll just keep it low until everything warms up. btw... i'm running all kenwood excelon.. 559 head unit, 501f amp, 60p components in front, x167 in rear, and 12DB sub.
I recently passed this idea around a car audio newsgroup. Most everyone said "in theory" it wouldn't be a good thing to run a sub hard when the temperature is very cold. However, not one person had reported ever actually having any problems with this. Myself included.

Tony