Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

amp keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 PM

amp keeps cutting out

I have a pretty new usx 2100 and I get barely any soudn out of my front components. When you have a low volume you can kind of hear it out of one speaker but when u start raising it, it cuts out and flashs in and out of protect mode. Also, I thought it was my rca's or the rca inputs so I disconnected them. But I still hear a low ringing/buzzing through the speakers. Could this be beacuse one of my rca imputs is loose? Here are some pics of my internals...

if you need bigger pics, go to my site and click them. http://cardomain.com/id/sk24iam
Old 01-09-2004, 09:12 PM

it sounds to me like you've got a loose ground..BE ABSOLUTELY SURE to disconnect the ground on the battery before wiggling your ground and power wires, and be sure you use a good ground point, like some kind of structural bolt..check for crossed/pinched speaker wires, and be sure you haven't bridged your amp to a lower impetance than it is capable of handling..
Old 01-13-2004, 08:12 PM

Ground was changed adn still doesn't work. Here is waht someone told me on another forum but I couldnt make sense of it.

"if your amp makes a whining noise it most likely your transformer that is making the noise. if you move that transformer by pressing on it you might stop the whining. You might also try getting silicon caulk and place it a lot of inside of the transformer right in the middle and put a lot in and let it dry. Also with your output transistor will cause amps to go in and out of protection if there is a channel that is bad. If the problem keeps it up i will take a look at it for free and just charge you for the parts and a small fee for labor. "
Old 01-14-2004, 07:05 AM

Run the other way from the guy advicing you to put additional silicone caulk to stop WHINNING....... Gimme a break. Everybody's an engineer now. 99% of noise in car stereos is inductive or introduced NOT produced. Remember the garbage in, garbage out theory? So, "noise" is usually caused by shoddy installs more often than shoddy equipment.

Anyway, you are more likely going to have a bad ground, output on the HU, bad battery, or incorrect impedence on the amp. You say your ground has been "changed"? Did you move it to simply another spot or did you move it to another spot and made a better connection? Did you attach it to an existing bolt attached to the frame of the car or just screwed it into existing sheet metal? If you screwed it into metal, did you grind off all the paint to ensure a good ground connection? Have you tried removing the amp out of your car and into someone elses to verify that the AMP is not fried itself (if you have a friend with an amp that's accessible this is relatively easy)? What kind of impedence are you feeding the amp with? Did you try running the amp at it's lowest form (i.e. probably 4ohm stereo) to check for too high impedence? Are you getting the problem with/without the car running? Have you checked for too low batt voltage at the amp? Are you using big enough power/ground wiring?

The amp going into protection mode is a usually a sign of either a bad input, impedence conflict, or short somewhere.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 PM

Thanks for helping out. That guy seemed really shady cause that didn't really relate to my problem an also, he only had 1 post on the forum he said that on. When I moved the ground I attatched it to a differnt bolt. I have not tried the amp in a differnet car. I tihnk it's at 4 ohm since im just running my components. The problem occurs both with and without the car runnung. Power is 0 guage and then goes to 8 guage for that amp on both power and ground. How do i check battery voltage?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sk24iam
Thanks for helping out. That guy seemed really shady cause that didn't really relate to my problem an also, he only had 1 post on the forum he said that on. When I moved the ground I attatched it to a differnt bolt. I have not tried the amp in a differnet car. I tihnk it's at 4 ohm since im just running my components. The problem occurs both with and without the car runnung. Power is 0 guage and then goes to 8 guage for that amp on both power and ground. How do i check battery voltage?

Do you hear anything at all before the amp goes down? or Do you hear something at low volume and as you turn it up it clips out?

Battery voltage can be measured by any multimeter that has a LCD readout.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:57 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

sounds like something might be fried. also check to see what ur head unit is set out. it may hav level controls on the preamps, what kind of head unit do u have?
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JAIMECBR900
Do you hear anything at all before the amp goes down? or Do you hear something at low volume and as you turn it up it clips out?

Battery voltage can be measured by any multimeter that has a LCD readout.

I hear something at low volume from jsut one speaker, very little sound, and then it clips as I turn it up. I have a cap on my other amp and it reads 13.xx.

I have an alpine 9815 hu.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by sk24iam
I hear something at low volume from jsut one speaker, very little sound, and then it clips as I turn it up. I have a cap on my other amp and it reads 13.xx.

I have an alpine 9815 hu.

try connecting the rca's from one of the other amps and put it to this one, see how it sounds, and if the same phenomena occurs
Old 01-15-2004, 08:23 PM

ok. I will ahve to also change them at the hu too righT?