Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone ever?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Anyone ever?

Just thinking of some setups to put in my max. Has anyone ever put 2 12's facing the back and a 10 facing toward the amrest cut out? I assume it would be pretty loud, but is it too much for the max?

Im thinking of putting Alpine type e 12's
and Alpine type e 10
probably mtx amplafiers
Old 01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
UCF Lexus

3 subs is kinda hard to do - JL is one brand that make 3 subs easy....cuz they're amps and subs just hook up easy for 3.

I'm pretty sure it would fit, it would have to be a custom box/enclosure --- nothin you couldnt do yourself w/out a few measurements.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:50 PM
jmax

If you go with three use three that are the same. Three 12's can fit in the rear deck. Or across behind the rear seat. The situation you described could be tricky. Two subs would be out of phase because one is fireing forward into the cabin and two fireing backwards in the trunk. That is normally bad. But in the automobile it is more complex becuase of the pressure that is created by the movment of speakers in a car. The pressure of the subs would be in phase. My guess is that it would sound pretty goofy.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:14 AM

yes, that makes sense.
so if im going to go for 3 just go all facing the same way, and all the same size
Old 01-16-2004, 08:51 AM
jmax

Originally Posted by MrJimmyHoffa
yes, that makes sense.
so if im going to go for 3 just go all facing the same way, and all the same size

And all three should be the same make and model, same voice coil configuaration, etc.

And don't buy them without knowing how you will need to hook them up to get optimal performance. The sub and amp should be considered to be part of the same electrical circuit. Lastly don't expect it to be easy to get three 12's in the car unless you go with small sealed boxes for the enclosure. Even then you won't have much trunk left over. Unless you want the "look" of three identical subs I would seroiusly consider one or two 15's instead. One good 15 will outperform three of many upper mid level 12's. Adire Brahma, ED, JL W7 or even the W6 V2, JBL GTi, DA TDX. Those are all subs that have been out for at least 1-2 years and the quality is proven. Many more have come out since their introductions and could have similar benefits.