Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Optima -VS- Fared cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Dreams of a RB26DETT

Optima -VS- Fared cap

Somebody please sell me on this? I got a 1 fared Monster cap(you can check on the cardomain page) and this is my plan for whats is left for taxes.. i want to try to find the same amp that i got and have two of them for thoes who dont know 760 sony. what my Q is, what would be better to keep my car from not draining a whole lot of power from the alt.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:35 PM
jmax

All the power for the stereo comes from the alternator. Everything you place between the alt and the amp will affect the current and voltage of that power, and sometimes the noise level.

Caps are not suggested for listening with the engine off or for SPL purposes. Caps are typically only needed for subwoofer amplifiers. Caps must be installed properly to be useful.

If you are looking to reduce the amount of dimming in the lights with bass notes a cap might be useful. But you should check all the power wireing first. Unnecessary resistance between the alternator and amp or the amp and the ground return places a greater load on the alternator and typically results in lower voltage levels for the amp power supply.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by jmax
All the power for the stereo comes from the alternator. Everything you place between the alt and the amp will affect the current and voltage of that power, and sometimes the noise level.

Caps are not suggested for listening with the engine off or for SPL purposes. Caps are typically only needed for subwoofer amplifiers. Caps must be installed properly to be useful.

If you are looking to reduce the amount of dimming in the lights with bass notes a cap might be useful. But you should check all the power wireing first. Unnecessary resistance between the alternator and amp or the amp and the ground return places a greater load on the alternator and typically results in lower voltage levels for the amp power supply.

ive been having a long debate over how well caps work. he claims caps always work for lights dimming, i say in certain instances they do. if my lights dim because of a jbl600.1 and im running 4 gauge what do you recommend? he claims a cap, i claim a battery? i heard caps put alot of stress on alternators.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Automotive Audio capacitors are not much more than a overpriced look good gadget. A waste of money if you ask me. A capacitor only will assist if you have excessive voltage drop on the system for the first 2 to 3 heavy bass notes.

In simple terms the discharge of a Capacitor will discharge faster than the Capacitor can charge back to the inital voltage level. The level on the line will be right behind the voltage drop on the battery and charging system.

It would be more effective to purchase an additional Battery and place it in the trunk of the vehicle. There are several ways to have the additional battery charge from the vehicle system and to Isolate it from the main car battery. Talk to a local pro install house. Don't go to the local Best Buy for answers.

Another solution is to look for an after market alternator. More money up front, but more options for constant current to run your system. Most stock alternators only push between 80 and 110 amps of current. At engin idle levels is can be 80% or less than the rated value.

hope this helps
Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 AM
rilla dope

I had pretty bad dimming in my Tbird and the stock alternator was bigger than in the Max. Died twice and I put in a bigger one. Problem solved. Strange thing is I run bigger amps on a smaller alternator in the max with a cap, no dimming. The cap was a gift so I threw it in with the install. Not sure how or why things worked out, guess it just depends on the ride.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Dreams of a RB26DETT

that is what i am worried about because i dont know if the cap works! I killed my alt. two time with a 222 watt amp, but when i put the cap on i havent had problems yet, but if i plan to put another amp i will need eaither a battery or a another cap
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 AM
jmax

Originally Posted by slickrick
ive been having a long debate over how well caps work. he claims caps always work for lights dimming, i say in certain instances they do. if my lights dim because of a jbl600.1 and im running 4 gauge what do you recommend? he claims a cap, i claim a battery? i heard caps put alot of stress on alternators.

The lights should not dim in a maxima with just a JBL 600.1. There is something that is not wired properly in that vehicle, maybe a lot of things. The first step to combat voltage drop is useing the proper wire gauge - or larger and to use as short a wire length as possible being sure to have as few bends as possible.

Caps won't stress the alternator significantly. Batteries do, always have and untill some new technology arrives they always will. It is how they are built and what they are designed to do. But caps aren't for every situation, as I said in my first post. They are the best thing for restoring dynamics in music, with the engine running.

Caps charge at the same rate that they discharge. A 1000 farad cap will fully charge in a fraction of a second. A cap can also hold the voltage at the battery / alternator charge level, 14 - 14.8 volts DC. A fully charged battery is approximately 12.8 volts.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:14 AM
jmax

Originally Posted by ochsrus
Automotive Audio capacitors are not much more than a overpriced look good gadget. A waste of money if you ask me. A capacitor only will assist if you have excessive voltage drop on the system for the first 2 to 3 heavy bass notes.

In simple terms the discharge of a Capacitor will discharge faster than the Capacitor can charge back to the inital voltage level. The level on the line will be right behind the voltage drop on the battery and charging system.

It would be more effective to purchase an additional Battery and place it in the trunk of the vehicle. There are several ways to have the additional battery charge from the vehicle system and to Isolate it from the main car battery. Talk to a local pro install house. Don't go to the local Best Buy for answers.

Another solution is to look for an after market alternator. More money up front, but more options for constant current to run your system. Most stock alternators only push between 80 and 110 amps of current. At engin idle levels is can be 80% or less than the rated value.

hope this helps

Purchase a high school physics book. Read the book. And stop posting completely false information in this forum. This should be in the off topic forum where everything is taken with a grain of salt.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jmax
The lights should not dim in a maxima with just a JBL 600.1. There is something that is not wired properly in that vehicle, maybe a lot of things. The first step to combat voltage drop is useing the proper wire gauge - or larger and to use as short a wire length as possible being sure to have as few bends as possible.

Caps won't stress the alternator significantly. Batteries do, always have and untill some new technology arrives they always will. It is how they are built and what they are designed to do. But caps aren't for every situation, as I said in my first post. They are the best thing for restoring dynamics in music, with the engine running.

Caps charge at the same rate that they discharge. A 1000 farad cap will fully charge in a fraction of a second. A cap can also hold the voltage at the battery / alternator charge level, 14 - 14.8 volts DC. A fully charged battery is approximately 12.8 volts.

ill be hooking up the amp very soon and when i do ill report in.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:09 PM
rilla dope

Man, I need to get my evil back. I let people post crap without thrashing far too often. The kindler, gentler Vito I guess.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ochsrus

hope this helps

This is one of the absolute worst answers to this question that I've seen in a long time. You are not only wrong, but dead on backwards on most of your info.

A capacitor will charge and discharge at the same rate, which is in milliseconds. A car's battery is 100 times slower in doing the same trick. Adding an additional battery will make the stock electrical system work MORE, not less. The additional battery is only good for listening with key off. How in God's creation do you justify that having to maintain 2 full size car batteries is less taxing than charging a cap???? I want some of that you're smoking, cause it must be good stuff .

The only info that is correct is that the alternator puts out considerably less at idle.

A properly sized and installed capacitor will in fact help or even eliminate dimming issues as long as everything else is installed correctly.