Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:01 AM

alternator question

I have a 2002 max with a 1000 watt sub amp and a 300 watt interior speaker amp in my max i also have a cap on it but i still need to upgrade my alternator to keep the batt charged cause of all the power. Im looking for recommendations for what type i should check into and also where i can find it. Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2004, 09:15 AM
jmax

No, you don't need a new alternator. 1000 watts for sub bass is almost nothing in a 2002 maxima. The other 300 is negligable for mids and for music.

Explain your situation and what is wrong that leads you to believe a new alternator is needed.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:26 AM

well i had upgraded the batt but it lasted bout a year before it was just completely drained, also when i bought my system they were concerned about this problem that i could have they said that usually what happens is the batt lasts bout a year then goes dead cause of all the draw on it and the only solution is to upgrade the alt. Right now i can always start my car but i belive it is only cause of the cap that i can because it takes a while when i crank it to start and acts as if the batt slowly charges up to get started, so if its not the situation i dont know what could be making my batt go dead after like one day of not being started i also tested to see if it was getting drained when the car is off and its not. My batt is out of warranty also so i dont want to pay for another batt and it only last 1 year cause that wasnt the prob. i need to make sure of the problem and this is the only way that i know i can solve it.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 AM
jmax

Something is draining the battery. How did they test to see if there was a drain with the engine off? Most caps should draw current from the battery with the engine off. Not enough to kill a battery in a car that is used everyday, but still a drain. The cap is not helping you start the car. It's too far from the starter to be any use for that. Check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean. And the wires from the battery to the car and the main power wire for the stereo. Make sure there are no loose connections or corrosion.

Have you been running your stereo with the engine off? Or any other electrial items with the engine off?