Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Aftermarket Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM

Aftermarket Speaker Help

I am gonna put some aftermarket speakers in with an aftermarket HU. When installing the speakers ,crutchfield says I will have to splice the wire from the original harness to fit the new speakers. Will the bose amp have any effect on the new speakers once the wire is spliced?

Another thing is, the tweeters,will they be effected enough to mess with? Anybody replaced the stock and put aftermarket in the piller?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:27 PM

I will be adding some MBquart QSD tweets in the pillars this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...

Vortex SE
Old 02-18-2004, 09:51 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by Hunter11
I am gonna put some aftermarket speakers in with an aftermarket HU. When installing the speakers ,crutchfield says I will have to splice the wire from the original harness to fit the new speakers. Will the bose amp have any effect on the new speakers once the wire is spliced?

Another thing is, the tweeters,will they be effected enough to mess with? Anybody replaced the stock and put aftermarket in the piller?
Crutchfield install notes are probably for non-Bose HU upgrade or they want you to bypass the Bose amp in the trunk when doing the HU upgrade.

I replaced my tweets with very good success. Highly recommended. Check my web page.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:45 PM

With my 94 I had some 6x9's hooked up to the stock amps and they would ocassionally shreek. As long as you're putting a new deck and new speakers in go ahead and run new wiring. My speakers were rated at right around 1 ohm and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms so you run into some definite compatability issues.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:43 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by joojoo2915
With my 94 I had some 6x9's hooked up to the stock amps and they would ocassionally shreek. As long as you're putting a new deck and new speakers in go ahead and run new wiring. My speakers were rated at right around 1 ohm and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms so you run into some definite compatability issues.
Higher impedance speakers represent easier loads for amplifiers to drive. On the other hand, the amplifier will put out less power at higher impedance levels and therefore is somewhat more prone to distortion since it may be forced to operate closer to its maximum output. As an example, I ran some 8 ohm aftermarket drivers in my 2K2 Maxima off the OEM Bose amp for some time without any problems. The system was not as loud as it had been with the original Bose drivers, but my new speakers were very efficient so I didn't lose that much output altogether. Depending on what you want to do you may or may not necessarily have to replace your wiring. However, new wires could never hurt . . .