Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE vs. Standard system. Is there REALLY a big difference??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:32 AM

BOSE vs. Standard system. Is there REALLY a big difference??

Hey guys. Are the BOSE sound systems all that they say they are? I mean, if I were to buy a maxima with a standard stereo system (the one on the GXE's) would it be tolerable for about a 1 yr until I either get enough money to replace it, or have enough money left over after I initially modd it out.

IS the BOSE really worth it? What do you guys think? Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:48 AM

Actually in the long run I think bose is worse.........speakers start sound farty.........and replacing the headunit with an aftermarket requires a specific adapter...........bose isnt worth it in my opinion.
Overall the cost to replace bose equipment is to high compared to replacing a stock gxe ssytem with aftermarket.
Bose just throws in to many variables.....
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Actually in the long run I think bose is worse.........speakers start sound farty.........and replacing the headunit with an aftermarket requires a specific adapter...........bose isnt worth it in my opinion.
Overall the cost to replace bose equipment is to high compared to replacing a stock gxe ssytem with aftermarket.
Bose just throws in to many variables.....
Yeah, that's kinda what I've heard. But the thing is, I probly won't have the money to get an aftermarket system for about another yr (roughly). Is the standard system CRAP? Or is it tolerable for that time period? Like.... what kind/size speakers does it have?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

If you plan on upgrading at all, skip the BOSE.

The standard system isnt total crap. It has 6.5" speakers all around.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:38 AM

I wiuld recommend getting a HU. I did that, and I still could hear music with out any special adapter through the bose speakers and amps. I didnt connect one of the wires, because that made the sound go lower. its a orange one. I would do that, and then start by getting your components, and a amp. but you would have to re wire.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DoNcHoYaX1
I wiuld recommend getting a HU. I did that, and I still could hear music with out any special adapter through the bose speakers and amps. I didnt connect one of the wires, because that made the sound go lower. its a orange one. I would do that, and then start by getting your components, and a amp. but you would have to re wire.
I'd like to know what headunit you have........since bose speakers run at 1 ohm.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:35 AM

its a sony old one, CDX C680
Old 02-18-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DoNcHoYaX1
its a sony old one, CDX C680
I hate the cheap crummy look that aftermarked headunits provide. Some people dont mind a shiny aluminum bezel that sticks out like a sore thumb on the dash. For me the Bose system is good enough that i dont have to put in aftermarket. I would recommend listening to both systems (just take a cd to a nissan dealer and wander the used lot)
Old 02-18-2004, 01:13 PM

i have a bose system.. I replaced the HU with a Pioneer DEH-P4400, and it sounds better.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Hey guys. Are the BOSE sound systems all that they say they are? I mean, if I were to buy a maxima with a standard stereo system (the one on the GXE's) would it be tolerable for about a 1 yr until I either get enough money to replace it, or have enough money left over after I initially modd it out.

well what cars are u considering? don't let bose be the determining factor, cuz there's other stuff that is WAY more important than that..sure it looks good on paper (and if and when u try to resell ur car) but if u go with a GXE/SE without bose, than u can gradually add in ur system parts like donchoyax said

bose is great for stock system standards, but it's lousy in the longrun, just get non-bose
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
ABS

If you can tell the difference between a good system and a not so good system, then you will most definitely get frustrated with the sound quality of the Bose. At first listen it seems ok, but after some critical listening you will discover that the low end gets "farty" sounding, the high end lack and real attack and the mid-range is muddy. The Bose HU in my 2K2 was replaced 4x before I finally yanked it out. Also, the tone controls are VERY limited. Increasing the treble or the bass had only a very small impact on my system. Very annoying! Some people claim the Bose speakers are ok, but I've replaced mine and I can tell you flat out that they are only mediocre in terms of overall design/construction as well as sound quality.

My strong recommendation is to save the $1200 (or whatever they are charging for Bose now) and instead spend the money on aftermarket components. Your system will sound FAR better with aftermarket.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:55 PM

Get a this or this + these + something like the 351s to power them and you will have a way better system than Bose for half the price.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:14 AM
vqman

and replacing the headunit with an aftermarket requires a specific adapter

what specific adapter?

I bought an adapter off of sound domain...

I am installing my aftermarket Eclipse on Tuesday...

how can I tell if I got the right one? I don't want to go to the place to install my system and have them tell me it's the wrong adapter...

pics anyone?

oh yeah, to answer this guys question about the BOSE...

it does suck and is not really worth the money, but in my case, I HAD to get it...the Titanium Edition/Leather/Sunroof/HLSD/Heated steering wheel/etc...could not be had without also getting the BOSE audio system. If you don't want that stuff, go for a non-BOSE..but if you want that stuff, you'll have to get the BOSE.

-vq

Old 02-20-2004, 03:22 AM

I'd like to know what headunit you have........since bose speakers run at 1 ohm.
I have a new Alpine HU that i replaced my stock Bose HU with. Many people on here said that I need a $60 convertor, but this isn't true.. There is a way to hook up the HU to the stock Buse speakers(even if they are 1 ohn) so that you can hook it up.. The shop that did my install hooked it up without the harness and now everything sounds perfect, even better than before with the stock HU... The high are cleaner and much more loud..
Old 02-20-2004, 06:31 AM

NO BASS!!!!!!!!! BUT OTHER THAN THAT A VERY CLEAR SYSTEM
Old 02-20-2004, 07:03 AM

Bose vs standard

In my case I have 3 Bose amps ruined by previous owner and I want to get stock HUcause I do like the stock double din look. The only aftermarket with similar green on black design (1 din though) is Nakamichi which is pretty expensive.

SO what is STANDARD GXE (2 din non BOSE I guess) HU anyway? Can I put external amp on and what's the sound quality (I guess it's made by Clarion)?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ted_MEng
In my case I have 3 Bose amps ruined by previous owner and I want to get stock HUcause I do like the stock double din look. The only aftermarket with similar green on black design (1 din though) is Nakamichi which is pretty expensive.

SO what is STANDARD GXE (2 din non BOSE I guess) HU anyway? Can I put external amp on and what's the sound quality (I guess it's made by Clarion)?
do you have bose now. i have a spare bose hu and bose amp and speakers. i took them out my 97 still in good condition
Old 02-20-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
do you have bose now. i have a spare bose hu and bose amp and speakers. i took them out my 97 still in good condition
The Problem is I don't wanna BOSE stuff except HU. I have aftermarket speakers.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 504
I have a new Alpine HU that i replaced my stock Bose HU with. Many people on here said that I need a $60 convertor, but this isn't true.. There is a way to hook up the HU to the stock Buse speakers(even if they are 1 ohn) so that you can hook it up.. The shop that did my install hooked it up without the harness and now everything sounds perfect, even better than before with the stock HU... The high are cleaner and much more loud..
I'm not saying it's not possible, but i can't think of a way to make it work. sounds to me like you could be damaging your HU. if you'll check your HU specs, you will notice that the HU amp is only 4ohm stable so running 1ohm speakers can cause some serious damage. i'd find out exactly what the install place did and post it here since i would like to know(so i can temporarily use my 4"s in the front until i get my new JL components) and the people here will tell you if it's safe or not. if anyone has info on how to use the bose speakers with an aftermarket HU please post it.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:39 PM
ABS

It is possible to use an OEM Bose HU with aftermarket amps and speakers. There is a link in the FAQ that talks about this question. I think you will need a PAC adapter that costs about $60.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:49 AM

If you have any inclination whatsoever to upgrade your system, do NOT get the Bose. Not only are you wasting your money on something you won't keep, but the Bose integration is horrible. It's gonna be much more difficult to upgrade the Bose system than the regular system. Just get the standard system and live with it for a while. Don't say we didn't warn you!!!

Tony